Grant Thornton UK LLP Executive Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 7 February 2018

Executive

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance encouraged (in 41 reviews)

• The flexible working that is being pushed is also very useful for fitting work around your life (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay feels slightly under market rate but you do get more opportunities and work life balance than competitors (in 22 reviews)

• Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4 (in 31 reviews)

1. "Grant Thornton review"

Current Employee - Executive
    Current Employee - Executive

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many different offices and departments within Grant Thornton that it allows individuals to gain exposure to staff with different skillsets and also move internally easily. As such, there are multiple secondment opportunities both in different departments or worldwide so that you can further your career in whichever direction you wish.

The people are also hugely welcoming and friendly. I was lucky enough to receive job offers at a number of other top firms before I joined and found that the process and interaction from the staff at Grant Thornton made me want to work for the company.

In the last two years, there has been a change in leadership with Sacha Romanovitch appointed as CEO. Sacha has introduced a number of really exciting strategies and communicated these well throughout the firm. This has allowed employees to align with the direction of the firm in becoming the "Go To Firm for Growth" in either corporates or individuals. This culture and Sacha's values are being embedded in Grant Thornton throughout all departments and levels and it's a great thing to be part of.

Cons

The office locations in certain departments, namely audit and tax, operate quite seperately. As such, you may not feel plugged into the wider firm or other office locations at times. Despite this, each office is quite large offering a number of social and career opportunites.

Advice to Management

The direction of the firm is brilliant and inspiring. I think this message needs to reach the market in a more public way so that we continue to attract the best people to the firm.

I also believe there should be increased effort to integrate the office locations so that staff at all levels feel part of the wider firm.

2. "Executive"

Current Employee - Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Executive in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When you join Grant Thornton you instantly feel part of a family. I meet people regularly that have been with the firm for 5+ years and there's a reason for that.

Grant Thornton has been my first job out of school and i have rapidly progressed over the past 6 years that i have been with the firm. I joined as a Team Assistant, and following promotion(s) i am now in a client-facing Executive role which has put me on the perfect path to set me up for my long term career. I have had 2 secondment opportunities which has allowed me to build connections with even more people in the firm, and learn how the wider firm operates.

Throughout this, i have been coached and developed with the support of my people manager, and attending in-house workshops.

I have now found myself in a role that i can shape myself and i am encouraged to share idea's and feel they are valued.

Cons

Can sometimes feel very partner-led, however a lot of execution and client-facing roles are at Associate /Executive level

More connectivity between service lines and departments to feel more joined up as a firm. What are people, clients, and teams doing around the firm that are working really well?

Advice to Management

More connection between senior management and people at Associate / Exec levels so we can feel empowered and supported to grow, and execute - specially as majority are client facing. Can we hear what other people in the firm are doing more?

3. "Executive"

Former Employee - Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Executive in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you meet are an asset to your knowledge building and you learn when they share their experience.

Cons

Chinese whispers and personal agendas that exist even within the same partner streams.

5. "Tax executive"

Current Employee - Tax Executive in Norwich, England
    Current Employee - Tax Executive in Norwich, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture that Sachs is trying to create and filter through from London

Cons

Work life balance is non-existent and management does not appreciate hard working staff

6. "Good culture with limited progression opportunities"

Current Employee - Executive in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Executive in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a great culture with partners more approachable than those at the Big 4. They also encourage a good work life balance with "agile working" (working from home etc) if needed.

Cons

Roles with a national remit can lead to frustrating career prospects. A lot of the firms focus is on London, so if you don't work there there's little chance of promotion or bonus.

Advice to Management

Senior management in London who do not work with people in the rest of the UK on a day to day basis should not be able to influence performance reviews of those outside London.

7. "Personal Tax"

Current Employee - Tax Executive in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Tax Executive in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Agile Working/Work from home policy
    Friendly atmosphere
    Supportive
    External trading facilities
    Varied work tasks and client base
    Promotional opportunities
    Dress to your diary
    social club

Cons

Lack of face to face contact with clients
    Holiday entitlement slightly below average but can claim TOIL
    Separate offices for partners feels segregated

8. "Great firm, very supportive"

Current Contractor - Audit Executive in Manchester, England
    Current Contractor - Audit Executive in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, culture and lots of support available. Early responsibility with plenty opportunities for training and career progression.

Cons

As with most financial professional services firms the biggest downside is the hours. However, there is a policy (TOIL) for anyone below management level to reclaim additional hours spent outside of the working week.

Advice to Management

Continue with the existing values and culture.

9. "A company with many opportunities"

Current Employee - Audit Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Audit Executive in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ability to move around the firm, geographically and department.
    - Focus and awareness of the firm's overall strategic direction.
    - Access to wide-ranging client sectors and sizes. From public benefit charities to breweries. Can have a sector specialism to focus on but not restricted to.
    - Paid overtime or TOIL (pre-approved, but not difficult to get).
    - Strong leadership team.

Cons

- Length of time taken to arrange internal moves/secondments (although current being worked on)
    - Difficulty getting holidays at any time of year, in particular '5 day rule' on busy season (January - June)
    - Due to the size of the departments, quiet people will often be 'lost'. Can be difficult if joining from outside an intake (i.e. newly qualified).

Advice to Management

Remove some of the restrictions on taking holiday - we cannot all exist for 'business needs' only.

10. "Great place, great people"

Current Employee - Corporate Finance Executive
    Current Employee - Corporate Finance Executive

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best things about working at Grant Thornton are:
    - the fact that they are always willing to trust their people and give responsibility, this makes work interesting and challenging at the same time,
    - the people at the firm tend to be really friendly and open, it helps the corporate culture at the firm
    - the work culture is also very good, it is all in all, a nice place to work

Cons

A couple of the things that hold Grant Thornton back from being the best are:
    - their remuneration and benefits packages could be better, compared to their competitors
    - the promotion structure is relatively rigid, with fixed times in the year when promotions take place

Advice to Management

I think improving the remuneration structure and adding more flexibility around career progression would enable Grant Thornton to attract and retain the best talent.

11. "Business Development Executve"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in London, England

Pros

Good company benefits, great offices and relatively flexible with work.

Cons

Typical professional services; if you don't enjoy that kind of environment then it wouldn't be for you.