Grant Thornton UK LLP Intern Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 October 2017

Intern

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance encouraged (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible working hours (if you put the work in) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can suffer due to long hours (in 20 reviews)

• Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4 (in 28 reviews)

1. "Lovely staff and culture lives up to high standards set by CEO"

Former Intern - Intern in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Intern - Intern in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- Lovely, supportive colleagues who provide you with room for personal development.
    - Great office atmosphere.
    - Training provided at a country estate called Bradenham.
    - Honest feedback provided throughout.

Cons

- Edinburgh Office is definitely the second office behind Glasgow in Scotland.

2. "Real work with real people"

Current Intern - Intern in Manchester, England
    Current Intern - Intern in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You are considered a part of the team from the day you arrive.
    The work you complete actually contributes to the work GT performs.
    The work-life balance is good and an effort is made to get to know you.
    Most of my managers took a real interest in getting to know me and I felt like they were willing me to succeed.

Cons

Audit and PSA can involve a significant amount of travelling. If you like getting out of the office then this may be a pro but it's something to be aware of.
    Due to GT's status as the 5th largest accountancy and professional services firm in the UK, the calibre and size of clients tends to be the mid-market. There are not as many large clients.

Advice to Management

The presentation delivered at the end of the internship is an invaluable experience but sometimes I felt like their was a disconnect between the work we completed as interns and the topic of the presentation.

3. "I had a reasonably good experience of Grant Thornton. Room for improvement."

Former Intern - Intern in London, England
    Former Intern - Intern in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for 6 weeks in one of the divisions in London Euston as a summer intern and I was impressed by the way the programme had been set up by the resourcing team. I felt that the team I worked in was very well managed and that the partner and director were clearly some of the best advisers in the industry and were both people that an intern like myself would aspire to be like. My buddy also made me feel welcome.

Cons

Everyone will tell you at Grant Thornton that you can ask any question to anybody and help will always be at hand. I found that one or two questions I directed to my manager were responded to with a sense of "oh, I could do that when I was your age/when I was an intern" and that everything was turned into a but of a competition. This attitude doesn't answer the questions asked and doesn't help anyone to do their jobs. I wouldn't discourage anyone from applying to Grant Thornton, since I do think it could be a good firm to work for, but only in the right department. Further cons: there was also a lot of whispering between individuals in the office, and since the only time you would need to whisper in an office is when you're talking about someone; being in the middle of it can be quite alienating, especially when you're in your first few weeks. The whispering would occur almost daily and, when overhearing some of it, I realised that it was regarding more senior members of staff. That isn't the sort of environment that I would like to work in, since you've got to maintain a level of professionalism: if you want to talk about people, that's fine, but do that toxic stuff out of the company walls. I also didn't think many people in the team were truly loving their work, which is a big red flag to me. If they're not enjoying their work, then I will probably dislike it too, so joining as a graduate was a strong no.

Advice to Management

No advice for the management - I'm impressed with what I've seen from them. Also be worried if seeking management advice from interns.

5. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in London, England
    Former Employee - Intern in London, England

Pros

Lots of social events, very interesting things

Cons

The work is quite tedious and boring, but I guess this is what accounting means

6. "Number 1 place to work as an intern"

Former Intern - Property Tax Intern in London, England
    Former Intern - Property Tax Intern in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Partners sit amongst us (no separate offices) so they are very approachable and friendly. A lot of responsibility from early in your career with guidance from 'buddies' so you don't feel too pressured. Pay is very comparable to similar firms. Many opportunities to impress management by doing mandatory intern presentations. Social life is also incredible!! Training facility 'Bradenham' is top notch.

Cons

Hours are slightly longer than in industry. Also no dress down Friday in the Euston office which isn't a massive issue but would be nice to have. Can see an issue of progressing to an assistant manager position if working in a small team.

7. "Ok experience, but nothign special."

Former Employee - Summer Intern in City of London, England
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in City of London, England

Pros

Strong company, good professional developmebt.

Cons

Remuneration was not competitive enough.

Advice to Management

Broaden the variety of work and increase level of reponsibility.

8. "Great Company"

Former Intern - Assurance Intern in Southfield, MI (US)
    Former Intern - Assurance Intern in Southfield, MI (US)

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- High level of commitment to developing employees
    - Work/Life balance is much better than other public accounting firms

Cons

- Apart of the assurance practice, long hours, difficult tasks, steep learning curve