Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All Cities

4.0
Dave Dunckley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Growth, Work life balance, Communication" (in 45 reviews)

• "The flexible working that is being pushed is also very useful for fitting work around your life" (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay feels slightly under market rate but you do get more opportunities and work life balance than competitors" (in 22 reviews)

• "Pay and benefits not as good as Big 4 but that's a trade-off for a better work:life balance" (in 32 reviews)

"Enjoyable role"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been promoted within the year and so the restructure has worked well for me and I am happy that the changes have been made, the team leaders are supportive as are most of the dept.
    I enjoy the work I do and feel I make a contribution to the audit process, ideas are shared on a board which I like, my manager listens to my feedback. I think as a department it's growing and personally speaking I think it's got A LOT better. There's also a good reward package eg pension etc and the people from all levels are great to work with.

Cons

I suppose you can't keep everyone happy, and because the work is quite complex it's not for everyone, you will get lots of support from your team however if you refuse to take advice or make the same mistakes over and over again you will be put on an action plan, not really a con but it's all I could think of.

Advice to Management

I enjoy working here and pleased that my hard work has been recognised with a promotion (but would like to be paid more)

2. "Should do better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent people, Purpose-driven, Good reputation

Cons

Espoused values not aligned with behaviour at senior levels

Advice to Management

Speak less, listen more

"CAST - Accounts Production 2+ years"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free fruit, flexible hours, decent location, can work from home when necessary, casual workplace that is growing all the time and plenty of new roles

Cons

Salary lower than other firms.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining staff and recruit new enployees with strong IT skills.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Accounts Production Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Accounts Production Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Car parking/ Fruit and coffee/ atmosphere
    I'd still be there but I wanted a training contract to further my career. Great people to work with, very supportive from all levels, you can now progress your career in the new jobs that have recently come out which a lot of my friends have. Good company to have on your CV. I enjoyed it.

Cons

No training contracts. Only reason I left or I would still be there. It's the only down side.

Advice to Management

Please look at training contracts, I loved my job and the people I worked with. No other advice.

"Accts Production - Belfast - Thumbs up"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Carparking
    Free fruit/ tea/coffee
    Living wage

Although the work can be repetitive it is challenging which I find enjoyable. With the recent changes there have been lots of people promoted within the dept so at last we can see that it isn't a dead end job. The teams are really supportive which you need within this job as it is challenging. The team leaders work with you so if you need help/support or time off for any reason they help you. Overall a good place to work with nice people.

Cons

No training contracts
    Location (Docks)
    Nothing else I can think of

Advice to Management

I enjoy my job and think it is a good place to work

6. "Good culture, below market remuneration"

Current Employee - Tax Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance and encourage agile working (although see how long this will last with change of CEO). Given plenty of responsibility, interesting work and access to clients

Cons

Too many layers of management and too many forms to fill out. So much red tape to avoid immaterial risks (no common sense approach) that it impacts the ability to deliver value to clients. Remuneration is significantly lower than what competitors offer

Advice to Management

Remove the red tape and pay better

7. "Accounts production and ixbrl"

Current Employee - Accounts Production and Ixbrl in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Accounts Production and Ixbrl in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the other people who work there
    parking
    fruit/milk
    Good work life balance

Cons

A few of the people working there
    Salary
    Progression in your career
    New structure

Advice to Management

So to set the story straight.

Yes, there are new roles within this department. Assistant quality specialists and senior associates. Which is great, as we requested these roles for a very long time. However, at assistant quality specialist level your capped. However the salary for this role is suffice. The Senior associate role is underpaid and once again has no other route to go other than the assistant quality specialist or to leave. Either way if you have the intention to be a qualified accountant, none of them will be a permanent role.

The new restructuring- were to start. I can see the intention from a business standpoint but the reality hasnt turned out too well. Hence a very negative recent review on here. The overall process of the restructure just happened overnight, there was not much follow through or request for feedback (Which i suppose wasnt needed seeing the volume of employees left). A company of this size needs to value the feedback from their employees. Which in this office doesn't seem to be the case.

As with every office, even when I started here, it had its flaws, but the atmosphere was great! The teams interacted throughout the day, everyone felt valued. This atmosphere along with a lot of employees has now left the building.

The TL's, the majority are great! (there are only 3 haha).

Overall, not a bad place to work. Used to be better, but it still has the potential to be great again! Although if you want to progress to become a qualified accountant then this will only be a temporary role. Its a great name to have on the CV and I have definately learned alot here, as have many other people!

8. "Internship review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture, great people

Cons

Monotony of work and hectic schedules

9. "Growth Executive"

Current Employee - Business Growth Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Growth Executive in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great role, not a hard sell or one way to work. You have the allowance to work which ever way best suit you.

Cons

not a clear path set out.

10. "Associate Director"

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Agile working, people, office space, structure,

Cons

Decision making - slow process