Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All Cities

4.0
Dave Dunckley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Growth, Work life balance, Communication" (in 47 reviews)

• "The flexible working that is being pushed is also very useful for fitting work around your life" (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay feels slightly under market rate but you do get more opportunities and work life balance than competitors" (in 21 reviews)

• "Always comparing ourselves with the Big 4" (in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Enjoyable role"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been promoted within the year and so the restructure has worked well for me and I am happy that the changes have been made, the team leaders are supportive as are most of the dept.
    I enjoy the work I do and feel I make a contribution to the audit process, ideas are shared on a board which I like, my manager listens to my feedback. I think as a department it's growing and personally speaking I think it's got A LOT better. There's also a good reward package eg pension etc and the people from all levels are great to work with.

Cons

I suppose you can't keep everyone happy, and because the work is quite complex it's not for everyone, you will get lots of support from your team however if you refuse to take advice or make the same mistakes over and over again you will be put on an action plan, not really a con but it's all I could think of.

Advice to Management

I enjoy working here and pleased that my hard work has been recognised with a promotion (but would like to be paid more)

"A firm that cares about their employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do believe Grant Thornton cares about their employees. While there are challenges like in most firms, I feel senior management is sincere when trying to rectify and get things right. Everyone I work with is really friendly and willing to help in a moments notice. I enjoy working flexibly in my role. I am trusted to get my work done and there's no sense of micromanagement. There's also a lot of recent developments in the work we are doing in the community, with charities and refugees. Our CEO is putting Diversity & Inclusion at the top of his agenda which is needed in our industry.

Cons

I think Grant Thornton praises the partners too much. People just listen to the partners and do what they, instead of challenging view points. I really don't like that people are willing to drop everything they are doing based off one thing a partner said.
    There's still a lot of work that needs to be done to balance our gender and ethnicity at senior levels. However, this does seem to be on our CEO's agenda this year.
    I think Grant Thornton has also been in the news this year too much bad press. It has harmed our brand.

Advice to Management

Less talk more doing. We are so scared of risk, we aren't willing to take risks. Less talk about quality and more actual changes to do more 'quality' work.
    Other than than, I think Dave is a great CEO for the future of GT and that we should be in good hands

3. "Not the big 4"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Agile working
    Friendly people
    Much smaller than big 4, so easier to build a network

Cons

Support services/ Back office not treated that well
    Exception culture - not a set way of doing something/ always "an exception" for doing something differently

Advice to Management

Appreciate the talent you have. Invest in women and minorities to get more in senior roles.

4. "Business Development and Marketing Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Business Development in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Business Development in Reading, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building strong relationships in the mid-market with technology clients especially in Thames Valley.

Cons

Shortage of training for non-fee earning employees.

5. "great company"

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

dynamic, rewarding, and also conveniently located

Cons

dealing with mid market therefore not as profitable as top tier rivals

6. "Too big, a cog in a big wheel"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice offices, great benefits, good pay. Good perks! Good socials!

Cons

Unless you are in the “click” which if you join from outside you won’t be, you are not treated well. They have their favourites and nothing will stop that. Not promoted on merit or hard work just the usual big 4 mentality of who knows who gets ahead.

Advice to Management

Impartial appraisals and help needed within teams to ensure this happens.

7. "Great experience at the detriment of your health."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

Gave a variety of experience

Cons

It is all about partner bottom line and management don't care about their employees. Instead of helping each other grow it was all about stepping on people to get ahead. You learn how to grow a thick skin between the bullying culture and being overworked.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage and take care of your employees.

"CAST - Accounts Production 2+ years"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free fruit, flexible hours, decent location, can work from home when necessary, casual workplace that is growing all the time and plenty of new roles

Cons

Salary lower than other firms.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining staff and recruit new enployees with strong IT skills.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Accounts Production Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Accounts Production Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Car parking/ Fruit and coffee/ atmosphere
    I'd still be there but I wanted a training contract to further my career. Great people to work with, very supportive from all levels, you can now progress your career in the new jobs that have recently come out which a lot of my friends have. Good company to have on your CV. I enjoyed it.

Cons

No training contracts. Only reason I left or I would still be there. It's the only down side.

Advice to Management

Please look at training contracts, I loved my job and the people I worked with. No other advice.

"Accts Production - Belfast - Thumbs up"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Carparking
    Free fruit/ tea/coffee
    Living wage

Although the work can be repetitive it is challenging which I find enjoyable. With the recent changes there have been lots of people promoted within the dept so at last we can see that it isn't a dead end job. The teams are really supportive which you need within this job as it is challenging. The team leaders work with you so if you need help/support or time off for any reason they help you. Overall a good place to work with nice people.

Cons

No training contracts
    Location (Docks)
    Nothing else I can think of

Advice to Management

I enjoy my job and think it is a good place to work