Grant Thornton UK LLP Central Audit Services Team (CAST) Administrator Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Grant Thornton UK LLP Central Audit Services Team (CAST) Administrator Reviews

Central Audit Services Team (CAST) Administrator

3.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance encouraged (in 36 reviews)

• Good opportunities to develop a broad knowledge and work with a large variety of clients (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can suffer due to long hours (in 21 reviews)

• Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4 (in 29 reviews)

"Central Audit Services Team (CAST) Administrator"

Current Employee - Central Audit Services Team (CAST) Administrator in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work.
    The office is in a good location, the work and targets are achievable and realistic. It has a nice canteen with free tea,coffee and fresh fruit. Approachable and supportive management. Good opportunity for progression

Cons

There is no parking spaces available at Adelaide street for CAST. However I think this is normal for a city centre office

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within.

"Appalling Place to Work"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

1. The other administrators are a fantastic group of people, I have definitely made some friends for life among them.
    2. Free tea, coffee and fruit.
    3. Good kitchen utilities.
    4. Private medical insurance.
    5. Very good company name to have on your CV

Cons

1. Dull, spirit draining and monotonous work.
    2. Minimum wage for completing tasks that would normally be done by an auditor or a qualified accountant.
    3. Very little appreciation from most managers.
    4. Constant lies are fed to new employees, particularly at the interview stage, managers will mention opportunities to progress into other areas of the business, to attend business events, or to even possibly complete exams within the company to work towards a professional accreditation. None of this will ever come to fruition.
    5. Worryingly high staff turnover, management are aware of this but seemingly don't care.
    6. Concerns never taken on board by management, despite multiple staff members echoing the same issues.
    7. Constantly being watched and observed by management, making the place feel like a call centre.
    8. Anti-social late shift hours, 11.30AM to 8.00PM, if your annual leave falls on your week of late shifts, you are expected to find cover.
    9. Lack of reliable leadership/management, rules are constantly being broken by managers, and go unpunished, but you are expected to adhere to the strict rules constantly.
    10. At times there is either very little or absolutely no work to do, but you are still somehow expected to keep yourself busy.
    11. Management will pull you over for not meeting productivity targets, but will offer you no warning to this, you will never know how you are performing because no-one tells you.
    12. Management treat administrators like children.

In summary, avoid working at Grant Thornton in Belfast like the plague.

Advice to Management

If you're going to leave fake reviews like the one below, try to remember to remove

"I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)"
    From your description, CAST has not existed for that long, and your review states you are a "Senior Manager" so you clearly do not have a People Manager, as you claim to have, seeing as they are only in charge of us bottom feeder administrators.

And while those benefits you mention do exist, due to the fact we are on minimum wage, other than private medical insurance, we cannot select our benefits on the internal system, because if we did, it would take us below that.

Best also to try not to fill your review with such obvious management jargon, it gives it away.

Trust and listen to your administrators concerns, stop running the place like a call centre, that is not what Grant Thornton is, I have spoken to multiple other Grant Thornton employees in other countries and they were disappointed to learn what Harvester House is like.

Stop treating adults like children.

"CAST Administration role"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, good facilities - big, kitchen with all amenities, central location - easy to get to, free fruit/teas & coffees.

Cons

Low pay - barely pass minimum wage, career development non existential, no variation in daily work, shift work - lates (11.30 to 8pm)
    not mentioned in interviews, little productive feedback on overall performance to understand how you're doing. Feels like a school house culture where you're told off rather than being treated like adults.

Advice to Management

Less of the school house culture, provide better feedback and encouragement.

"New CAST office on Adelaide Street is a total disaster..."

Former Employee - Central Audit Services Team (CAST) Administrator in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

1. Excellent company to have on your CV (will certainly get you noticed)
    2. Free fruit (not sure if this is still the case)
    3. Free tea, coffee, hot chocolate
    4. Free private health insurance

Cons

1. Management mislead applicants about the duties of the role - this job was advertised as an 'administrative role', however, I basically completed basic auditing tasks every day for less than minimum wage. Yes, that's right, company house searches, annual reports etc. - we then sent these to auditors based in London to be used in their report, auditors getting paid £30K+! This meant that Grant Thornton were saving money - because they got our team to do the simple auditing tasks (which the qualified auditors should be doing) for absolute pennies!
    2. I was expected to work late shifts which I was not informed about at interview stage - 3:00pm - 11:00pm for 1 week every 4 - 6 weeks.
    3. If you are planning annual leave, expect to organise your own cover for your late shifts - most people would agree that it is the responsibility of the management to arrange cover for employees on annual leave. However, if 1 week of late shifts (3pm - 11pm) falls during your annual leave, you are expected to run around the office begging you co-workers to cover for you.
    4. Not enough work - 40% of the time there is no work to complete (no tasks coming in from the UK auditors, because they don't trust us to do their auditing tasks, which is understandable), and management do nothing about it. You are basically 'expected' to look busy and if you don't you are pulled to the side.
    5. VERY micro-managed - you are given a piece of paper on which you are expected to record what you did for EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of your shift, even if there is no work to do!
    6. Unfulfilled promises about career development - it might be different for auditors but for 'support staff' such as CAST on Adelaide Street there are ZERO career development opportunities, you will be promised the sun, moon and stars believe me, but it's all lies!
    7. TERRIBLE PAY & MISLED ABOUT BONUSES - £13.5K for doing audit tasks in the centre of Belfast is far below the living wage! We were promised a pay rise after one year because our department was a brand new function in Grant Thornton and in the 'test' stage - it NEVER happened. We were promised that a bonus structure would be introduced - it NEVER happened (however, shortly after I left I found out that a few of my co-workers got a bonus and were told to 'keep it a secret' - integrity at its finest).

Advice to Management

Pay a decent wage to the CAST team, £13.5K for doing AUDIT tasks, and working occasional unsociable hours is an absolute disgrace. Stop misleading people about the CAST jobs in Adelaide Street.