Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews

Updated 14 February 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance encouraged (in 41 reviews)

• The flexible working that is being pushed is also very useful for fitting work around your life (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay feels slightly under market rate but you do get more opportunities and work life balance than competitors (in 22 reviews)

• Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4 (in 31 reviews)

1. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Grant Thornton is the people. The people have bought into the core values at GT and that makes the culture there quite strong. I think people for the most part are quite collaborative and its people are encouraged to share their view and work to make GT a better place to work.

Cons

While there seems t be a collaborative environment, at times it feels like to the different offices are only looking out fr themselves. It can at times feel like 20+ different firms rather than one because of different geographies and leadership in other offices. I also feel some of the initiatives that are rolled out, while well intentioned and ultimately good for the firm, are not handled properly through communication and implementation (whether its new software, training or internal policies). It often leads to great frustration and resistance to adoptin of new ideas.

Advice to Management

I think management should continue to encourage participation throughout the firm and sharing ideas. I think that has been a major selling point to the younger team members joining the firm as they feel like they have a voice within quite a large organisation.
    I think management needs to better implement new processes and ensuring proper consideration is given to training individuals before new processes are implemented.
    I think management has to clarify their strategy for growing within the market place. I think the 'vibrant economy' tagline is nothing more than a marketing catchphrase that many in the market place don't understand. I would rather have goals put in place and a startegy about how we are going to attack the market.

2. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I can honestly say that Grant Thornton is the best company I have ever worked for, and is the reason I have been here for so long! My opinion is listened to, I get involved in exciting work and there are opportunities across the firm to take advantage of. Team this with agile working and it means that I can have a healthy work life balance, giving my best to the business but also to my family.

Cons

Business is growing and therefore different parts of the business/service lines to understand and so clarity is key.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with the business and sharing those success stories.

3. "Executive"

Current Employee - Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Executive in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When you join Grant Thornton you instantly feel part of a family. I meet people regularly that have been with the firm for 5+ years and there's a reason for that.

Grant Thornton has been my first job out of school and i have rapidly progressed over the past 6 years that i have been with the firm. I joined as a Team Assistant, and following promotion(s) i am now in a client-facing Executive role which has put me on the perfect path to set me up for my long term career. I have had 2 secondment opportunities which has allowed me to build connections with even more people in the firm, and learn how the wider firm operates.

Throughout this, i have been coached and developed with the support of my people manager, and attending in-house workshops.

I have now found myself in a role that i can shape myself and i am encouraged to share idea's and feel they are valued.

Cons

Can sometimes feel very partner-led, however a lot of execution and client-facing roles are at Associate /Executive level

More connectivity between service lines and departments to feel more joined up as a firm. What are people, clients, and teams doing around the firm that are working really well?

Advice to Management

More connection between senior management and people at Associate / Exec levels so we can feel empowered and supported to grow, and execute - specially as majority are client facing. Can we hear what other people in the firm are doing more?

5. "Great Company"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Great Team to work with
    Flex hours when needed
    Great location
    Amazing Manager and CEO
    Great Development

Cons

None I can think of

6. "Enjoyable and stimulating"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Ipswich, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment from all of your colleagues. People understand what it’s like to be in your position as most were only a few years ago

Cons

Low-ish pay until qualifying, only a 2% company pension match until 2 years of service if you’re under 25 years old

7. "Skills setting for success. People focused?"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing training and experience in the field. Lots of opportunity to work on diverse clients and industry’s. Competitive salary, and opportunity to manage and take charge of projects quickly.

Cons

Hard work is required. Long hours is expected, and remunerated in forms of TOIL as long as requested.
    TOIL often challenged, therefore most don’t claim (opinion).

Advice to Management

Take care of your people, and the people will take care of the work. Leaders are required to lead, people will follow if there is a desire to, not if they have an obligation to.

8. "Current view of Grant Thornton"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best things about working at Grant Thornton are:
    - flexibility and being able to plan your time around you and the trust that people give you to get the job done;
    - people are on the whole all approachable, very nice and are all working to deliver the best job;
    - if you push yourself and pro active you can climb the ranks quickly; and
    - work is interesting and two engagements are never the same.

Cons

Downsides include:
    - too much time spent by senior people on marketing a brand which whilst important should not become the number 1 priority. Due to this i often feel clients and bidding for known opportunities can become secondary to more 'fluffy' stuff which i sometime struggle to see the value add;
    - training our people. In some parts of the firm there is an expectation to "get it" and there needs to be recognition that some time is required to be spent developing people.

Advice to Management

Less time on brand, more time on engaging with clients and developing people.

9. "Much happier here than I was in Big 4"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great working culture, strong on teamworking and collaboration. Staff are encouraged to be independent, take ownership and responsibility for work and developing their careers. Most partners are very supportive and seek to resolve any issues arising constructively rather than applying a blame culture. Very happy with work:life balance.

Cons

Pay and benefits not as good as Big 4 but that's a trade-off for a better work:life balance. I'm not a great fan of the new branding and office structure but, that's very much personal choice.

10. "Great environment in which to develop and progress your career"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

I really enjoy the culture at Grant Thornton, it enables me and my team to be free to take full responsibility for delivering great service to our clients and for making decisions on where to target and grow my part of the business. Leadership team locally communicates very well and is open and transparent on direction of travel.

You are given the flexibility to structure your work day and the shared enterprise environment gives confidence to put forward your ideas for improvements.

Cons

Sometimes feel held back by our systems and approach, although I think this is in part due to the wider rules and regulations and so would impact all professional services firms.

Having the time to do everything you want to do!

11. "Great culture and purpose - disrupting the professional services status quo"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

Warm and friendly working environment
    Professional with personality
    Powerful purpose led employee brand
    Great agile practices and flexible approach to modern working

Cons

Will not suit those driven by cut-throat ambition and aggression

Advice to Management

Keep innovating for change
    Continue to communicate the purpose of the firm to make it real