Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews

Updated 9 July 2018

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work-life balance encouraged" (in 43 reviews)

• "The flexible working that is being pushed is also very useful for fitting work around your life" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay feels slightly under market rate but you do get more opportunities and work life balance than competitors" (in 22 reviews)

• "Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4" (in 30 reviews)

1. "Life at Grant Thornton - I am very happy here and you can be too!"

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Forward-looking and wonderful female CEO
    Excellent corporate culture
    Helpful and supportive partners
    Treats staff fairly
    Flexible working arrangements
    Good with staff with children
    Excellent client base
    Interesting and highly varied work
    High quality of outputs and deliverables
    Likeable firm
    Good cafeteria!

Cons

Pays a little less than Big4 but access to partners is much easier

Advice to Management

Keep on competing with the Big4 for people and talent, we are every bit as good, and our clients love what we do

2. "Grant Thornton employee"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Reading, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are fantastic opportunities to grow and develop your career at Grant Thornton. The business is growing and means that as individuals we can grow to as people and advisors.

We talk a lot about 'unlocking the potential for growth' in our clients but were certainly do what we say, by trusting employees to act autonomously to get the work done and enhance your career. Using our flexible working environments and allow individuals to seek out new opportunities in their chosen field or in other areas within Grant Thornton.

Grant Thornton is big enough to have a large corporate feel but small enough that you can get to know people on a personal level across a number of offices.

Cons

We have a large international presence - this is not as good as the big 4, and so I feel that at times to service our clients, as many will have international presence, we need to ensure we have identified the correct needs of our member firms.

Advice to Management

To grow the business we need to pull our internal resources and be the best at what we do and try not to compete with the big 4 on areas where we lack the experience or expertise. By trying to compete it may damage our reputation in the long term.

3. "Great place to explore your future career"

Current Employee - Partner in London, England
    Current Employee - Partner in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility in career paths. I have seen many of my colleagues explore different career paths and the best thing is that the firm always seems to be very supportive of this. People can have flexible working patterns to fit around their personal lives and also have a varied career sampling a number of different services lines to find what fits best.

Cons

We are still learning what the new strategy means for us and the culture continues to shift in response. I hope we will all be living this sooner rather than later though.

Advice to Management

Keep working on the culture of the organisation until we are all living the CLEARR values and have fully embedded the strategy.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about GT is the fantastic friendly and driven people. I love working in the recently refurbished offices in the city, and visits to the residential training centre in the countryside. I joined because the firm advocates a learning and coaching culture, and they haven't failed me on that. I have grown so much here. They were also very open to my ideas when I requested reduced hours and flexible working. I feel trusted, challenged and supported, and would recommend working here to others.

Cons

The culture can vary across the firm - some teams can feel very different to others, and do things in different ways. Its not always clear what the firms vision is or how we are helping the firm work towards it.
    Opportunities for recognition, promotion and reward are limited for non-fee earning staff.

Advice to Management

Use the expertise and experience of our people on the ground to drive through changes to our culture. More should be done to unite the firm and break down silos.

5. "I had so many hopes for this job"

Former Employee - International Coordinator in London, England
    Former Employee - International Coordinator in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Some very intelligent people there
    *Lots of groups / outside of work activities that you can participate in
    *Good for your CV

Cons

*HR!! I had a manager who had 8 complaints against her during the 2.5 years I was there. She was a complete bully, picked on new people, really horrible. The amount of people that quit because of her or would cry every week. Over the years I saw how HR did NOTHING. I mean, nothing. They met with the person and said 'we will review the situation and let us know if anything changes'.
    I had one colleague who went to HR after a nasty experience with her. As she came back from her meeting with them they called my manager and told her (I sat behind the manager and saw she got the call)- my colleague had asked them specifically not to tell her. Straight after the call and just as my colleague was sitting down after arriving back the manager called her to a meeting room to ask why she spoke to HR about her.
    *Partners- I worked there for 2.5 years and the partner sat two rows ahead of me. He had only ever just said 'Hi' to me once the whole time.
    *Performance reviews - these are horrible. Its not designed to boost you, but to put you down. You go in there with all this evidence of how you have achieved a goal, 150 examples printed, and they will tell you at the review only that you needed 151 examples. I had showed how out of a team of 20 I had done 75+ of X task. In terms of volumes, the next best from me was 17 times. It was a task which everyone had to do- I was told on this goal that they ‘expected more’.
    *Software is old and need updating.
    *There needs to be more woman in higher positions.

Advice to Management

*Listen to the team and not one individual. If no one gives feedback - that's not a good sign.
    *Performance reviews should be motivational, not a battle.
    *Improve HR

6. "Not as it appears"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good office location, agile working

Cons

no training, lack of accountability for work done, poor pay and pay rises for non-fee earners. only seem to concentrate on profit rather than customer and staff experience. very high staff turnover resulting in a miserable place to work. No promotion structure in my team resulting in no career progression available. Very much 'a mans place to work' and in this day and age - NOT GOOD! awful culture! awful communication between offices and teams within offices.

Advice to Management

Treat staff better, especially non-fee earning staff as they are the bread and butter of the business! Understand what GT Norwich stands for and what is important and pass that down to staff. get a leader for the Norwich staff and get up to date with the modern times of working!

7. "Executive"

Former Employee - Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Executive in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you meet are an asset to your knowledge building and you learn when they share their experience.

Cons

Chinese whispers and personal agendas that exist even within the same partner streams.

8. "Good all-round experience"

Current Employee - Personal Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Personal Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work for are very supportive of my development. Company benefits are relatively good and offer a decent choice.

Cons

Limited bonus scheme for people at support staff level and pay is not as high as other accountancy firms.

Advice to Management

Improve the communication you give to staff about changes that will be happening - avoid people feeling fobbed off by repetitive notions of changes 'happening soon' etc, as people will leave before you get a chance to implement them

9. "Forensic eDisclosure Assistant"

Current Employee - Junior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Junior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leader in Digital Forensics and eDisclosure, firm and teams has undergone huge growth in the last few years, excellent company to work for

Cons

Due to the current environment of Digital Forensics and eDisclosure sector, some of the larger competitors such as the big four have already implemented larger teams

Advice to Management

Implementation of a wider variety of training courses specific for consultancy in the Digital Forensics field of work

10. "Audit associate"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, varied clients and likeminded colleagues. Graduate programme is well structured and you complete the ACA.

Cons

Work can be repetitive, and often over or under challenging depending on the client. There is little consistency in approach in departments that should be fully cohesive.

Advice to Management

Improve the standardisation of approach, what's expected, and appraisal process. The first year was under-challenging, and didn't prepare well for demands of in charging teams.