Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews

Updated 8 December 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance encouraged (in 36 reviews)

• Good opportunities to develop a broad knowledge and work with a large variety of clients (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can suffer due to long hours (in 21 reviews)

• Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4 (in 29 reviews)

1. "Flexible working, Supportive"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland

Pros

Grant Thornton really supports its employees. Having experienced a recent, family emergency, I was fully supported throughout. I really like the fact that flexible working is offered and fully supported and I work with wonderful colleagues.

Cons

Our office doesn't yet offer lunchtime yoga classes (!) I jest. In my current role and position I cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Management

I understand the value and requirement for interim and performance reviews but do not feel these are needed for administrative roles. I personally value clear and honest communication and dialogue and find more value in this.

2. "Grant Thornton Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

Pros

Autonomy, ability to go through the grades fairly quickly, responsibility given from an early stage

Cons

Lack of wider bid, and marketing support to grow the business, inflexbility with regards systems and processes

Advice to Management

Replace key central staff who leave

3. "Culturally differentiated"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly almost family environment within commercially sustainable firm

Cons

Could do with being more agile

Advice to Management

Be prepared to give direction at times...collaboration is great but can be overused

5. "Good culture"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company are very good at looking after their people. They're also making good inroads into raising their profile which means in future they will be a more well-known and respected company to work for. There are a lot of opportunities for progression within the firm, with a wide variety of secondments available. The firm are more than generous when it comes to exams and supporting you through your studies.

Cons

It is not a part of the Big Four and I worry that it may hamper career progress moving forward. The work/life balance can be difficult to maintain, especially in busy season, but there is a policy in place to counter this (TOIL), meaning that, in theory, you are compensated with extra time off if you have worked overtime.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing to continue to grow the firm and gain recognition.

6. "Tax Executive"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

Great place to work
    Flexibility
    Good work life balance

Cons

Nothing significant to be discussed

"Big 4 audit model without a Big 4 reputation"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, knowledgeable and approachable staff across all levels of the firm – I feel wholly confident approaching everyone to be treated with respect and patience. Some staff have been here for years but are still open to change and are very welcoming and willing to share their excellent knowledge of the sectors they work in.

Great office facilities in the North West. Well provisioned, attractive and with good ICT facilities.

Pay/benefits is only slightly below some larger competitors but the hours are significantly better. We’re contracted for 7.5 hours per day which, other than busy season, is broadly reflective of reality.

Good training provision and a fantastic culture which supports time out of the day job to attend sessions along with encouraging other things such as secondments to internal departments and external organisations.

Vibrant Economy appears to be a genuine effort by leadership to attract great clients and staff. It also has the potential to put in great foundations to grow the various business lines of the firm.

Almost all clients are good to work with. An internal push to exit difficult/unprofitable/unethical clients should hopefully remove some of the stress inducing jobs – I really hope this materialises.

Cons

No responsibility taken by individuals for difficult decisions such as what jobs we’re bidding for/withdrawing from/staff recruitment. Questions enter the ether and emerge from some kind of committee that is never explained (despite the question being asked). This black box model makes me wonder who is actually making decisions? Is it HR, individual partners, or central office?

Cost cutting over the last 12 months has resulted in some (not all) managers being very peculiar about approving expenses/TOIL. Eg not responding to requests and taking the time to google a mileage claim and asking why someone has gone a few miles above what google maps says. Is there so little trust/respect that people are trying to ‘earn’ an extra £3?! The idea that we should scrutinise our expenses as though it is our own money will be difficult to achieve when we have no incentive to do so. The Reward element of Shared Enterprise is obviously a joke – a pro-rated bonus after 3 years on all the superior profits above the already high targets – after taking out the 66% partner share.

Trainees are explicitly treated as disposable on a churn and burn basis. The Big 4 style exam policy results in good employees being frozen out of progression and effectively (and sometimes overtly) being forced out the organisation by a very vocal HR department. This appears to frustrate the audit department who have to go through long processes to retain staff during busy season etc who have received good performance ratings and feedback. Nobody seems sure as to why they’re so keen to fire people when the department, at times, struggles to recruit high calibre staff.

Performance reviews are based on expectation documents which are deliberately ambiguous/impossible to achieve in order to refuse promotions and keep payrises to a minimum in order to help prop up the department budgets. The reality that they’re clearly decided on more than this, including who you know, is a reality of big organisations but it’s embarrassing for the managers how obvious this is. Being ‘discouraged’ from discussing these decisions and pay furthers the lack of transparency around the (sometimes large) salary discrepancies between people at the same grade – eg removing the salary bandings from the intranet.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the impact of some existing HR policies on the firm’s longer term overall reputation.

8. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Flexible and supportive.

Cons

Low pay. Staff retention issues. Training not great for senior management level.

Advice to Management

Should pay market rates in order to retain staff.

9. "Great working environment and focus on career development"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a pleasure working for Grant Thornton. It has a lot of focus on your career development and offers a lot of support to help you succeed. There is flexible culture which encourages internal mobility and opportunities to try different specialisms. The firm certainly has a lot to offer it's people!

Cons

Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4. The working hours are definitely a lot more manageable and work-life balance is better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the supportive nature. I love how the senior people here are all very approachable and open to ideas.

10. "OK, but...."

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ambitious to join the big boys, but not Big4

Cons

Cost cutting. CEO focused on own PR

11. "Review of Grant Thornton"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Manchester, England

Pros

I think Grant Thornton offers the opportunity to take your ideas and make them your own. I have made my own initiative, sat down with our Practice Leader to discuss ideas, shadow Partners and be part of a number of teams. I don't feel restricted to my operational role and I think the flexibility of internal mobility within the firm is really positive and not something to be ignored.

Cons

Sometimes work loads aren't particularly varied, but I think that's more the nature of the job, rather than a GT thing. I wouldn't say there's anything particularly negative at all.

Advice to Management

Encourage people to be inquisitive and to do something outside of just their operational function. Since I've done so, I've been a lot more motivated and feel like I can make a difference.