Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews

Updated 17 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance encouraged (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible working hours (if you put the work in) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can suffer due to long hours (in 20 reviews)

• Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4 (in 28 reviews)

1. "Great working environment and focus on career development"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a pleasure working for Grant Thornton. It has a lot of focus on your career development and offers a lot of support to help you succeed. There is flexible culture which encourages internal mobility and opportunities to try different specialisms. The firm certainly has a lot to offer it's people!

Cons

Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4. The working hours are definitely a lot more manageable and work-life balance is better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the supportive nature. I love how the senior people here are all very approachable and open to ideas.

2. "OK, but...."

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ambitious to join the big boys, but not Big4

Cons

Cost cutting. CEO focused on own PR

3. "Review of Grant Thornton"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Manchester, England

Pros

I think Grant Thornton offers the opportunity to take your ideas and make them your own. I have made my own initiative, sat down with our Practice Leader to discuss ideas, shadow Partners and be part of a number of teams. I don't feel restricted to my operational role and I think the flexibility of internal mobility within the firm is really positive and not something to be ignored.

Cons

Sometimes work loads aren't particularly varied, but I think that's more the nature of the job, rather than a GT thing. I wouldn't say there's anything particularly negative at all.

Advice to Management

Encourage people to be inquisitive and to do something outside of just their operational function. Since I've done so, I've been a lot more motivated and feel like I can make a difference.

5. "Great place to work for apprentices"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training programme for school leavers which quickly leads to becoming qualified at the age of 22.
    Flexible working hours (if you put the work in)
    Large amount of responsibility is given almost instantly when starting the job which is great for experience in the future,
    The people are great, really good social side of work,
    Lots of extra curricular activities to get involved with,

Cons

Initially there is a large learning curve when starting as a school leaver, there is a lot to learn in a short space of time, but if you're willing to work hard and put the effort in then you'll cope well.
    Start college quite late in the programme, so some of the roles within a school leavers job is hard to understand why you are doing it, but I know college will help me expand my knowledge. However I think it is good that we haven't started college yet as it means we gain great practical experience before learning the underlying theory.

Advice to Management

I feel that management do a good job managing clients and bookings, I would recommend allocating individuals to jobs a little bit more efficiently, as there sometimes could be individuals who live close to a client A and who are driving quite far to client B - when someone else lives close to Client B but travelling far to Client A.

6. "Glassdoor - Grant Thornton Review"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Ipswich, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

I feel very welcomed within the workplace itself and have felt very welcomed by the start which has allowed me to just jump into the role in a quick and professional manner. I feel that I am able to grow and express any issue I have to management in a formal or informal manner, that I believe will be resolved and respected. I am very grateful for the opportunity to be able to grow and develop within this firm and I know that I have many benefits available to me, such as secondments that I do wish to take advantage of. I know that I will be able to grow and take on more responsibilities when the time comes.

Cons

I feel that you have to be very goal driven and work orientated to work in this demanding business as I believe you need be motivated to succeed. You won't be able to balance your work life and social life if you didn't have some form of experience with it prior to joining, it might take you some time to adjust.

Advice to Management

I feel that our office is kind of an exception due to the amount of people leaving but it would be very beneficial if there was always contact available or some individual to attend on clients with you at a higher level.

7. "Grant Thornton review"

Current Employee - Executive
    Current Employee - Executive

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many different offices and departments within Grant Thornton that it allows individuals to gain exposure to staff with different skillsets and also move internally easily. As such, there are multiple secondment opportunities both in different departments or worldwide so that you can further your career in whichever direction you wish.

The people are also hugely welcoming and friendly. I was lucky enough to receive job offers at a number of other top firms before I joined and found that the process and interaction from the staff at Grant Thornton made me want to work for the company.

In the last two years, there has been a change in leadership with Sacha Romanovitch appointed as CEO. Sacha has introduced a number of really exciting strategies and communicated these well throughout the firm. This has allowed employees to align with the direction of the firm in becoming the "Go To Firm for Growth" in either corporates or individuals. This culture and Sacha's values are being embedded in Grant Thornton throughout all departments and levels and it's a great thing to be part of.

Cons

The office locations in certain departments, namely audit and tax, operate quite seperately. As such, you may not feel plugged into the wider firm or other office locations at times. Despite this, each office is quite large offering a number of social and career opportunites.

Advice to Management

The direction of the firm is brilliant and inspiring. I think this message needs to reach the market in a more public way so that we continue to attract the best people to the firm.

I also believe there should be increased effort to integrate the office locations so that staff at all levels feel part of the wider firm.

8. "A company with many opportunities"

Current Employee - Audit Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Audit Executive in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ability to move around the firm, geographically and department.
    - Focus and awareness of the firm's overall strategic direction.
    - Access to wide-ranging client sectors and sizes. From public benefit charities to breweries. Can have a sector specialism to focus on but not restricted to.
    - Paid overtime or TOIL (pre-approved, but not difficult to get).
    - Strong leadership team.

Cons

- Length of time taken to arrange internal moves/secondments (although current being worked on)
    - Difficulty getting holidays at any time of year, in particular '5 day rule' on busy season (January - June)
    - Due to the size of the departments, quiet people will often be 'lost'. Can be difficult if joining from outside an intake (i.e. newly qualified).

Advice to Management

Remove some of the restrictions on taking holiday - we cannot all exist for 'business needs' only.

9. "Great place, great people"

Current Employee - Corporate Finance Executive
    Current Employee - Corporate Finance Executive

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best things about working at Grant Thornton are:
    - the fact that they are always willing to trust their people and give responsibility, this makes work interesting and challenging at the same time,
    - the people at the firm tend to be really friendly and open, it helps the corporate culture at the firm
    - the work culture is also very good, it is all in all, a nice place to work

Cons

A couple of the things that hold Grant Thornton back from being the best are:
    - their remuneration and benefits packages could be better, compared to their competitors
    - the promotion structure is relatively rigid, with fixed times in the year when promotions take place

Advice to Management

I think improving the remuneration structure and adding more flexibility around career progression would enable Grant Thornton to attract and retain the best talent.

"Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly and supportive management for the most part.
    - Sociable hours - no real culture of face time.
    - Bradenham and graduate training is far superior to competitors.
    - Lots of opportunity to get involved in BD early on in your career if you ask for it.

Cons

- Some management disinterested in helping less senior staff. Could do with improving hiding their own personal agenda to further their career and helping others.
    - Salary could be improved to bring in line with Big 4 considering I work similar hours.
    -Also potentially being given less standardised pay rises based on performance would incentivise staff to work harder.

Advice to Management

Try not to focus on your own personal career development and assist those working hard for you.

11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere within Glasgow office - very friendly and open to new ideas. View from office is amazing. Lots of potential to move about the offices in GT network. Very modern values from the top.

Cons

Workload can vary and as with many desk jobs, lots of processes and bureaucracy to deal with risks. Working from home not always easy.