Grant Thornton UK LLP Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 7 September 2017

Senior Manager

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance encouraged (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible working hours (if you put the work in) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can suffer due to long hours (in 21 reviews)

• Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4 (in 28 reviews)

1. "Great firm to work for"

Current Employee - Audit Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Manager

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to develop quickly through the ranks. Agile firm where partners are close to the rest of the team

Cons

Salaries are mid to lower end of the spectrum

2. "Culturally differentiated"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly almost family environment within commercially sustainable firm

Cons

Could do with being more agile

Advice to Management

Be prepared to give direction at times...collaboration is great but can be overused

"Awful work life balance"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some genuinely good people who are very committed to the work they do.
    Efforts being made to improve the culture with the Shared Enterprise model, but felt a lot like cost cutting dressed up as something else.

Cons

Work life balance was really, really bad. I worked previously at a Big 4 firm, and in my view the work life balance at GT was worse (and the remuneration less, also). The audit team felt constantly understaffed and resource management was highly ineffective.

Advice to Management

There needs to be significantly greater focus on wellbeing of your people, otherwise more will leave.

5. "Great people, great opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

Pros

- a good team working environment
    - interesting clients
    - ambitious leadership
    - interested and invest in the employees

Cons

- back office systems could be developed

Advice to Management

- Continue the focus on working with growing dynamic businesses

6. "A challenging and exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a collaborative and supportive environment - my people manager has confidence in me and empowers me to make decisions and develop myself, my people and my department.
    The benefits available are great - free tea & coffee; free fruit; option to join the pension scheme; support for charitable volunteering & fundraising; flexible benefits options such as healthcare etc; generous holiday allowance; Shopping Gateway; performance review process.
    There is an excitement in Grant Thornton and I love working here.

Cons

National strategies and visions can be a bit vague which makes it difficult to understand where I fit into the bigger picture.

Advice to Management

Remember that not everyone is based in London or in a client-facing role and ensure that strategy and associated communications consider this.
    Keep increasing communication - Jam, Sacha's Twitter feed and now Instagram are all great ways of keeping the message alive and getting it out there.

"An exciting place to be"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-ambitious, driven and confident about our future
    -driving a real purpose which is bigger than all our day jobs
    -down to earth culture
    -flat structures and agile ways of working
    -flexibility

Cons

-salary/bonus not as high as Big 4 (although this needs to be weighed up against hours worked etc and flexibility provided). Although new shared enterprise scheme should pay out in 2018.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the ambitious agenda and challenging those who aren't yet on the journey (especially some of the partners/directors who in some business units/locations are a little stuck in their ways).

"In the Danger Zone. Apply with Caution."

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Reasonably good work/life balance

2. Some interesting niche and mid-tier clients

3. A reasonably well known brand, so you don’t have to explain where you work

4. Lack of dynamism means it is stable in a downturn, and less likely to make redundancies than the Big 4

5. Very good CEO in Sacha Romanovitch – she has the potential to shake things up, but has had limited impact so far, although only took up the reins summer 2015

Cons

1. Several key members of the Leadership Team in the Finsbury Square Office recently retired/were fired or will leave the Business soon, and at end 2015 this has resulted in numerous departures of the more employable Managers, impacting continuity among the firm's people

2. Highly political management team in the Business Consulting and Regulatory Consulting businesses,detracting from business and client focus

3. Slow career progression, with a long list of “old timers” already waiting to fill the “dead men’s shoes” (and yes, they are all men)

4. A culture of latent sexism, without any effort to address this despite it being raised directly to the Senior Partner

5. Very limited bonuses over the past five years, while other firms increase the opportunities for top performers to be rewarded with bonus and other results-driven incentives.

6. Office environment very 1990s, without much emphasis on a modern working environment

7. Limited intellectual depth or strategic forward thinking on how best to help clients with anything beyond basic audit and regulatory assignments; no tangible Digital strategy (though deludes itself that this is in place) means GT is being left behind by competitors.

8. Though historically a solid mid tier “number 5” after the Big 4 (PwC, KPMG, Deloitte and EY), recent audit censures and limited ambition to grow means the brand is languishing as an “also ran” while others steam ahead and niche firms eat GT’s lunch

Advice to Management

1. Address the latent sexism within the business
    2. Deliver a clear business strategy, including Digital and focussing on higher added-value services
    3. Address the retention of your best people, including a transparent bonus/performance related pay aspect

4. Invest in your office to deliver an environment which matches your competitors.

"You get out as good as you put in"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you work hard and put in the effort, you are rewarded and given the flexibility to drive your career in the direction you want. I have not really come across pigeonholing here. However, if you sit back and moan and wait for things to happen, they won't happen.

Cons

Pockets of amateurishness here and there - also when working with some parts of the international network. Relaxed culture sometimes to the point of being too laid back.

Advice to Management

One or two of the offices could be improved.

10. "A very different approach: feel empowered and trusted"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a values-led place; and some really great people. The investment in personal development and supporting flexibility to let you be a 'whole person' with a life and family is great. I love the new direction (last couple of years) toward thinking bigger for our clients and looking beyond finance to business. Exciting time.

Cons

Busyness. There seems to be a belief that it is important to have time to think. It doesn't always translate into actually having that time!

Advice to Management

Keep taking the path you are. Don't change direction, I think you are onto something really different in the market.

11. "Amazing - following my passion!"

Current Employee - Senior Audit Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Audit Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lovely people, flexible working hours, work-life balance, opportunity to take on responsibilities, challenging work, entrepreneurship culture.

Cons

Pay and benefits could be better and more competitive. As senior management qualified staff, I could earn at least £20,000 more in industry, excluding bonuses.

Advice to Management

Think and design ways of ensuring people follow their passion!