Grant Thornton UK LLP Tax Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Grant Thornton UK LLP Tax Manager Reviews

Tax Manager

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance encouraged (in 36 reviews)

• Good opportunities to develop a broad knowledge and work with a large variety of clients (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can suffer due to long hours (in 21 reviews)

• Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4 (in 29 reviews)

1. "Tax Manager"

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Reading, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic work life balance, culture and people

Cons

Commute to work, nothing else

2. "Great balance of expertise, dedication and experience whilst making sure you have a life!"

Current Employee - Tax Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate and dedicated people
    Resources to do a great job (soft skills training is particularly good, software, research tools etc).
    Great inspiring leader (Sacha Romanovitch)
    A level of flexibility to ensure people have a balance (although it is a hard working environment, people want to be out of the door at a decent time - this is not a law firm / investment bank culture where people are happy to leave 'early' at 7pm!!)
    Internal promotions
    Much much better than big 4!!
    Management listen and react (for the most part)

Cons

We're becoming a slight victim of our own success in that we could use with hiring some more experienced people to help deliver the work we are winning.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to hire in order to meet expanding business. Let people focus on delivery more by improving non technical procedures like client take on.

3. "Tax Manager"

Current Employee - Tax Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people.
    Good professional study support and skills training.
    Good opportunities to develop a broad knowledge and work with a large variety of clients.

Cons

Pay could be better.
    Leadership lacks in some places.
    Cost cutting exercises!

Advice to Management

Shared enterprise is a nice concept but it feels like the focus has moved away from delivering excellent client service and onto too much time being spent discussing what can do and letting everyone have an say in everything. Should we focus more on actually doing rather than saying what we are going to do but actually moving nowhere?

5. "It's a good place to work for increasing your experience with all types of clients."

Current Employee - Tax Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a very Inclusive atmosphere with a relaxed environment and supportive teams - which even our clients notice and approve of. Technical excellence required also but not at the failure of client support. Within my particular team, there is a varied workload, so everyday is different. Lots of different client opportunities, within a variety of industries and sizes.

Cons

As it's a good place to work and you have a good work life balance (if you choose to), the salary bands tend to be lower than other top 10 accountancy firms and bonus is generally quite low (possibly to be expected given the financial environment). Please note that if you want more life than work in the 'worklife balance', don't expect to progress - there is a tendancy that individuals who work late tend to be promoted before those who do their hours (regardless of what work is done).