Great Clips Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Great Clips CEO Steve Hockett
Steve Hockett

1,438 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The money is good and its fast paced" (in 105 reviews)

• "Very flexible schedule to balance my home life" (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • "You have to have complete open availability and no set schedule" (in 37 reviews)

• "Need to work some nights and weekends BUT that's also where I make the most" (in 24 reviews)

1. "Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Store Manager/Stylist in Plant City, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager/Stylist in Plant City, FL (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, benefits, great support, always room for growth, steady customer base.

Cons

Occasionally there are customers/employees that suck to deal with but thats honestly with any job.

Advice to Management

The franchisee I work with is incredible. Im very grateful to have found them.

2. "Advancement Opportunities Available"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Clips has a strong values system and great culture. The salons are focused on teamwork and supporting the local community. The salons offer flexible hours, a constant flow of customers and a guaranteed wage. Great Clips offers advanced training in leadership roles for management and technical skills for stylists. Because the salons are franchised, each organization is a bit different, so if you don't feel a good fit at one location, there are MANY others to choose from. With 4000+ salons across the system, you could live almost anywhere and work for this great company.

Cons

Learning to lead others can be a difficult skill to learn. If you are committed, the feeling of gratification is unmatched by anything else.

Advice to Management

Show recognition to your team in any and every way possible. Build a strong culture with the stylists and develop both their strengths and weaknesses.
    I began as a receptionist for Great Clips in cosmetology school, I have also been a stylist, assistant manager, and a manager for this company. I now work for the home office as a field agent helping managers build their salons and supporting franchisees in growing their businesses. If you dream of advancement and working for a company who truly cares, you have found the fit for you!

19 Jun 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the Great Clips system! We appreciate everything you do each day to be sure that the Great Clips brand is delivered in the salon for our valued... More

3. "Salon Manager"

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Gainesville, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Gainesville, TX (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at this salon since before the doors were open! I love the community and closeness with the customers. Everyone is always impressed by the professional appearance of the staff and cleanliness of the salon. We often hear they love we all have so much fun at work!!!!

Cons

Open 7 days a week

17 Jun 2018

We LOVE that you are a valuable member of a GREAT team! Thanks for everything you & your team does each day.

4. "Best job so far"

Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Manitowoc, WI (US)
    Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Manitowoc, WI (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pace, good money, friendly staff, room to grow in the company. Also a good place to start out. On going education.

Cons

Fast pace, although this is also a pro it can be a con for some. I perfer a fast pace company.

17 Jun 2018

We appreciate that you are a part of a great community of stylists and managers. Thanks for sharing your experience in the salon!

5. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Wentzville, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Wentzville, MO (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Continuing education, ongoing training, several benefits, busy store, lots of money, great teamwork

Cons

No complaints other than being short staffed

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

15 Jun 2018

Thanks to you and your team for everything you do in the salon to deliver the Great Clips brand!

6. "Manager/stylist"

Current Employee - Manager in Petaluma, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Petaluma, CA (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy tips
    Employer is willing to work with schedule
    Can get promoted quickly
    Great place to work!

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of staff.

14 Jun 2018

We appreciate that you are a valued member of a great community of stylists and managers!

7. "Great job"

Current Employee - Stylist in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Stylist in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training. Benefits. Great money. Time off. No need to hustle and find your own clientele- they just walk in. Amazing team mates. Support from management. Family- orientated. Great when the schedule can be ran like it’s supposed to- great clips has done their research and knows what to do.

Cons

Industry is short staffed currently so the hours can get long (based on your availability) and it’s very busy and your body can wear out quick. High burn out rate. Sometimes high turnover- depending on salon. The bad stylists wreck and stress the great stylists. Like any salon job there can be drama depending on the person.

Advice to Management

Take care of your stylists. If you’re short staffed reduce your hours so stylists don’t get burnt out. Put aside the money and maybe close on Sunday Mondays. The clientele will understand and you will look better because you’re taking care of your employees- everyone wants to respect a place they go to. This isn’t a standard desk job- it takes emotional connection and physical strength. Without time stylists do not last.

10 Jun 2018

Thank you for everything that you do in the salon each day! We appreciate that you are a part of a GREAT team.

8. "Fun, Family, Growth, Contribution, and Integrity!"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Woodstock, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Woodstock, GA (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family based and people oriented. I have had an amazing journey with this company! I started right out of school and was managing a salon within the year. I have been with the same Franchisees now for 7-8 years and have worked at nearly all of there locations managing at 3 and now as an Area support manager. So needless to say growth opportunity is available! You are only limited by yourself in anything you do!

Cons

Need your own tools and you need to be a reliable trustworthy employee.

8 Jun 2018

We appreciate everything you and your teams do each day to deliver the Great Clips brand in the salons!

9. "Something for everyone"

Current Employee - Manager/Design Master in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager/Design Master in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Training, advancement, structure, sense of family, guaranteed clients.

Cons

Franchise to franchise expect differences

Advice to Management

Always trust your seasoned employees and push them to strive for more.

8 Jun 2018

Thank you for being a part of a great community of stylists and managers! We appreciate your feedback and comments.

10. "Great place to work if you just want to strictly do haircuts"

Current Employee - District Manager in Kenosha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Kenosha, WI (US)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Clips has many franchisees. The one I work for is amazing. They really want to see you succeed and give you the tools and advice to succeed. The best thing about Great Clips - no chemicals, color services or wax services. Just haircut after haircut

Cons

The obvious con... you HAVE to work weekends... but honestly... each one of us "Barbers" or "Cosmetologists" knew that while we were in school.

6 Jun 2018

We appreciate everything that you and your teams do in the salons each day to deliver the Great Clips brand! Thank you.

Showing 1,438 of 1,443 reviews