Greenpeace Employee Reviews about "canvassing"

Updated 18 Sep 2020

Greenpeace Directievoorzitter Kumi Naidoo
Kumi Naidoo
Pros
  • "There was a very inclusive culture, which created an enjoyable work environment(in 37 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, great mission(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours that take a tole on your physical and mental health(in 14 reviews)

• "Easy to get fatigued of canvassing(in 14 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "canvassing"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Learned a lot but little pay"

Former Employee - Public Engagement/Fundraising in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Greenpeace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Canvassing really helped me improve my communication skills and all my coworkers were great. I would suggest the job to people who need to fill a gap in their resume but are passionate about the cause.

Cons

Long hours that take a tole on your physical and mental health. You need to be a certain disposition to be rudely turned away 50 times a day. Pay was not enough to stick around.

2. "Loved GP"

Former Employee - City Coordinator

I worked at Greenpeace full-time

Pros

Working at GP was empowering and built my confidence. There was a very inclusive culture, which created an enjoyable work environment. I grew a lot as a communicator, a leader, an activist, and a teammate working for GP.

Cons

Working in a canvassing office was stressful because the quotas were pretty harsh: $150 in monthly donations every week, if you miss your quota once you go on review, if you miss it again you lose your job. The stakes were pretty high.

3. "Hardwork, Easy to Rise Up"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Greenpeace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing co-workers Easy to gain promotion A lot of freedom

Cons

Easy to get fatigued of canvassing Hardwork

4. "Great working environment"

Current Employee - Canvasser in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Greenpeace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full of energy, great people, friendly and relaxing workplace

Cons

Mostly canvassing, walk a lot, being held against quota, general downside of being a canvasser

Continue reading

"Great team work, great causes and marketing"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Toronto, ON

I worked at Greenpeace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Team is passionate and great people to work with I learned a lot the time I was there The company takes pride

Cons

Unionized Seasonal work as a canvasser Didn’t run into a lot of problems but I could do without the constant activities and group play to warm us up... it got a bit much

6. "Great place to work"

5.0

I have been working at Greenpeace

Pros

Great people, fun job, good pay.

Cons

No real job security but a great way to get into the canvassing world

"Great organization, less than stellar canvassing arm"

Former Employee - Canvasser in San Diego, CA

I worked at Greenpeace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Greenpeace is a values-driven organization, and mainly everyone in the canvassing office is there because they love environmental and social justice values

Cons

Canvassing is a hard job, made tougher by the fact that Greenpeace makes people sign up for monthly donations (with a credit card), and the minimum signup amount is $15, which bars access to a lot of people who want to get involved (and makes it really hard for a canvasser who hasn't had experience rubbing shoulders with wealthy people to meet their quotas)

"Frontline"

2.0
    Former Employee - Frontline Canvasser in Portland, OR

I worked at Greenpeace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Uplifting and creative young team. Heartfelt talks in office about causes and personal feelings for them. If you love to socialize non stop with super high energy, if you like lots of walking in all temperatures, long hours, stopping random strangers and convincing them to be members.. roughly passing 300 people per day. And not smoking or wearing, drinking, eating brand names in public. Go at it!

Cons

Below the happy, bright colored "you can do it" environment for a frontline employee, it is high pressure sales. During group interview was told a minor-red flag, that I have to would meet, well easily meet "3 minimum" enrolling members for GreenPeace during training. But could be branched off to different sectors, I.e. Office work, eventually perking my interest. During orientation, it was disorganized with filing paperwork and then started an hour late...waiting awkwardly. Finally told the whole deal, how we have to enroll 3 members by the end of the week, more so in three days... or let go. And after training, must meet "quota". Slap gently on the hand first week if not met, fired the second. All being given a script with little factual data the day before the big "canvassing". Being experienced in high pressure sales environment, doing tours and customer service; my strong spider-sense that yeah everyday is different meaning quotas are unrealistic to meet. Very disappointing. Lower the quotas and value your employees more. Don't threaten to fire them if quotas aren't meant once you just hired them. Value your campaigns as equal to your employees, they're not "replaceable" items. And was told that members must pay a minimum $15 monthly pay, so they can pay for the GreenPeace employee salary. Shocking that it all goes to salary and not causes.

"Good job to have while you're looking for another job."

I worked at Greenpeace full-time

Pros

If you're moving to a new city and you're strapped for cash, this is a great job to have because you have a steady income (if you can meet your quota) and you will meet a lot of great new people. This job also gives you a sense that you're helping a cause greater than you.

Cons

When you're canvassing the public usually hates and avoids you.

Continue reading

"Excellent organization to work for"

I worked at Greenpeace full-time

Pros

living wage right at entry level. plenty of hours with opportunity for career growth. amazing benefits package. positive and loving work environment. outstanding mission statement and vision statement. dress however is comfortable to you. friendly coworkers and bosses.

Cons

Canvassing quotas are strict and difficult. can't smoke or carry most brand names while working and wearing your staff t-shirt.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 English Reviews