Groupon Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.6
Groupon CEO Rich Williams
Rich Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "No dress code, live environment" (in 137 reviews)

• "I love the work/life balance but also enjoy coming to work everyday" (in 113 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, no sense of work/life balance" (in 36 reviews)

• "Upper management was continuously changing without a clear direction or strategy" (in 68 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced and exciting!"

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Groupon 2 years now, and I have been exposed to a company which is always innovating, growing, and moving forward. Working in a high performing culture where talent meets opportunity, really helps drive your career forward. Groupon is a place where you can put your ideas forward and take ownership of change.

Yes, it can be challenging, but if you're up for that, you are put in a position to actually genuinely impact the company.

We have recently moved to a top class office, where we are being well looked after with an open purpose built spaces, all the meeting rooms you could ever wish for, fresh fruit, cereal and great coffee ;)

Cons

You can see management working hard to ensure better alignment, transparency, and communication. This takes time, but it is happening.

Advice to Management

Only advice would be to structure and align on how you communicate. I.e each lob should be communicating on the same cadence, in the same way.

2. "one of the best companies to work from"

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a brand new office in London
    free breakfast
    free coffee/sodas/tea
    great office location
    awesome facilities department (Robert is the best)
    a strong focus on employee satisfaction (from all senior management)
    great communication when it comes to parties and general updates
    lots of possibilities to evolve within the company
    my direct manager is the best in the company and because of that I love my job

Company policy: work/life integration (this means that you can do your own schedule as long as you deliver great results)

Cons

sometimes there is just too much bureaucracy
    some of the PMs have no idea what they're doing and overall rudeness from them
    the salaries are not the best ones and the company policy when it comes to raises is pretty bad (5-10%)

Advice to Management

you should try and focus on the people's development (more courses)
    work on communication when it comes to projects

In my opinion, there is no bad company or a bad job, just bad managers. I'm one of the lucky guys who has an awesome manager and I truly love my job but, I hear complaints around me from people who are badly managed and they just want to leave the company because of that.

3. "great culture"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great culture, very advanced technology

Cons

a bit slow to make changes, some functions distributed

Advice to Management

make the organization more nimble

4. "Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Groupon is largely a very happy place to work - you see a lot of smiles here.
    And there is a great sense of comradery. You will always be given help when you ask for it and you are never, if rarely, left to your own devices. People are very approachable here and willing to lend a hand. This does extend to leadership (executives, whilst extraordinarily busy, are very friendly).

There is a good work/life balance at the company too. You are expected to enjoy your leisure time and not respond to emails at all hours of the evening and weekend - though that is entirely up to you and could depend on who you might be reporting to, I guess. Groupon likes holding socials and team events and strongly encourages staff to have fun together outside the office.

Lastly, the company is very open to internal mobility and encourages you to consider Groupon for future career progression. I myself have met several people who have transferred, switched departments and have undertaken roles quite different to their initial role.

Cons

This may be common for any big organisation, but I feel there are quite large issues relating to inter-departmental, or even departmental communication. You often hear conflicting things from different individuals, which can make processes quite arduous and time-consuming, as a lot of people will have a hand in one matter. There is a lot of to-and-fro. It appears there are no concrete, established ways to do things, or if there are, they change constantly.

5. "Mixed Bag"

I worked at Groupon full-time

Pros

- Good Culture
    - Fun Activities
    - Great Team

Cons

- Lack of Communication from Management
    - Ever changing goals
    - Comms structure changed 3 times

6. "Sales representative"

Current Employee - Business Development in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development in London, England

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for - met great friends. Good perks

Cons

No room for higher positions

Advice to Management

X

7. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Groupon is a great place to work if you work hard. In sales you are rewarded well for over achieving, and you are responsible for your own accounts/book of business and earning potential.
    There are lot's of initiatives taking place that you can get involved in to help with career progression, or to learn new skills. You can be successful here if you want to be.
    There are lot's of talented people at Groupon, and everyone is very sociable and friendly.

Cons

It is a very competitive industry and you need to work hard to keep ahead of the competitors.
    Bonus makes up a huge part of your income so if you have a bad month / quarter your income is directly effected.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting people that are hard working and loyal to the business. There are lots of talented people here and we don't want to lose them. Give people commitment and you will get it back!

8. "Great place to work but need to fully listen to employee concerns"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location of the office - amazing location in East London
    Views & Facilities in the office - the office facilities could not be better
    Free drinks and food - we are extremely well looked after when it comes to free food, drink, breakfast, alcohol at parties etc
    Friendly staff - as it's a young company the vibe is always fun and pretty easy going
    Company updates - these are really improving with regular company emails and catch ups

Cons

The salaries and bonuses are well below industry average and sadly free alcohol doesn't make up for this in the long term. Staff surveys show the London teams aren't happy with salaries and bonus structure so perhaps address this major issue!

Too many hurdles to jump to get any new ideas across, we are asked to contribute ideas but in reality the levels of mid management and red tape don't really allow this to happen. As it's such a big company it's impossible to know who to speak to and why something has not been signed off. or who to even present an idea to!

Advice to Management

Don't keep sending surveys if you don't do anything with the results, most people now ignore them for this very reason!

9. "Analyst"

I have been working at Groupon full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, flexibility to work, very healthy work life balance, very social atmosphere - I like here!

Cons

Only Cons for me is the travel time to the office.

10. "Very friendly company"

I have been working at Groupon full-time

Pros

-Excellent and fun people
    -Competitive compensation and benefits
    -Engaging work
    -Lots of variety and opportunity to work across business lines
    -Increased efforts to listen to employ feedback and improve based on such feedback

Cons

-Communicating important changes is not always carried out in the most attention-grabbing way