Guardian News & Media Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All Cities

3.5
David Pemsel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Decent work / life balance with flexible working hours" (in 9 reviews)

• "Lots of great people to work with and learn from" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "transparency from senior management" (in 8 reviews)

• "Feedback is generally poor and there is a lack of leadership from a few senior editors" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long term approach to editorially driven journalism. Never worked in a news room with so many experienced and talented people. A positive working environment.

Cons

It can be bureaucratic and frustrating. If you want a start-up media environment, given all the experienced people arond this is not necessarily for you.

2. "Faux"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed culture and flexible working.

Cons

Certain ExCo members are on Government payroll.

3. "Finance - Guardian news & media"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Cross, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Cross, England

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly team environment, supportive management.

Cons

Pros outweigh any cons, Not really any major cons that i would make people aware of.

4. "awful management!"

Former Employee - Credit Controller in London, England
    Former Employee - Credit Controller in London, England

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice really talented people it's a shame management does not allow everyone to shine only the favourites.

Cons

As a working mum this is one of the worse and most un-diverse companies I have ever worked for. I was actually bullied and harassed. Found the environment was very clique with no flexibility. I wanted to take my disabled son to his hospital appointments and I had no flexibility within my own annual leave whist other members of staff were allowed two-hour lunch breaks to do fitness classes! Management style very dictatorary and whilst working here I found out that previous staff members had been bullied and resigned. No one had ever raised a grievance but had left negative feedback in exit interviews to HR. Upon handing in my resignation, I raised a grievance to HR who told me I did not have to work all of my notice as they did not want me to feel uncomfortable but would take the matter seriously and carryout an investigation and would write to me with the outcome. This situation occurred whilst The Guardian is pro-actively trying to promote diversity and have pinned up all these posters on their walls regarding diversity in the workplace. Well it has been over 4 months since I left The Guardian and I have not heard anything back. So if you want to work for a company which is not diverse and allows bullying via poor management you can go ahead and work for The Guardian. Look how HR responded and dealt with my Grievance! They basically rushed me out the door and swept the whole thing under the carpet. I write this because some people are in a situation of already working for very good companies and it would be a shame for you to leave and then find yourself working for what you think is a great well know brand but after you scratch the surface find yourself in my situation. This is the first company that I have ever worked for where I have also for the first time in my life felt being a woman is like being a 2nd class citizen with how I was treated and not to mention their large gender pay gap. All I can really say is more for the fools who actually sponsor this company which is the only reason it is still around and happy to say I have never and will never buy a copy of their paper. Especially not with the terrible work ethics that they promote and allow.

Advice to Management

Treat people equally and as humans

5. "Great people, good product, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with one of the highest calibre development teams you'll find in the UK.

Building products that will be used by hundreds of millions of people every day.

A fantastic name to have on your CV. It is instant contractor cred.

Good benefits and an understanding attitude to illness, disability or bereavement.

Cons

Work is managed poorly and requirements gathering is a mess.

Wants to be Agile / Kannan, but is really just waterfall-without-deadlines.

Most of the work is very dull; interesting stuff goes to specialist new hires.

Promotion and team changes are glacial.

Advice to Management

Find product managers who can give you concrete results, not just glib soundbites.

Invest in developer onboarding.

"Great intentions"

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to be around some of the best in their fields, in journalism and technology.

Cons

It's incredibly political - you might say vicious. It's part of the culture. It seems somewhat incongruous given the political values of the organisation, but the internal behaviours can be powerfully negative. I wouldn't join the tech team there now - the leadership that believed in modern practices have left.

7. "Good Company"

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Left due to relocation only.

"A good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Cross, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Cross, England

I have been working at Guardian News & Media full-time

Pros

Treated like an adult, not a child.

Cons

Some people over-promoted, others under-promoted.

Advice to Management

None.

"Despite brilliant people, rot now set in due to incompetency at the top"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A truly important mission and cause to work towards, particularly in an age of media mistrust and increasing "fact creation". Digital team: packed with some of the most talented, self-starting and committed people I've worked with. One of the few top-notch digital teams in the country that isn't just working to line the pockets of a tech billionaire or soulless Venture Capital/PE firms. Editorial team: second to none, although there's quite a lot of (perhaps necessary?) fat. Commercial team: well, there's a lot of them, and there are a couple of diamonds struggling to shine through the management muddle.

Cons

Top 3-4 layers of management (which is 2-3 too many) are simply a calibre lower than the workforce they manage, starting at the top with the CEO a marketing man clearly a long way out of his depth and a editor-in-chief who is struggling to find the mojo she wielded in her previous roles.

C-suite are inexperienced and tend to do and say little to avoid giving away the fact that they don't really have a Scooby Doo, which has caused a breakdown in trust all down the line. This has now led to virtually all of the mid-level talent on the operational side (the strategic thinkers, the senior engineers, the more brilliant salespeople etc.) leaving first in a trickle then in a rush, with management covering their tracks with the old tropes of "fast-moving modern workforce" etc. It's sadly now become a debacle - the only senior talent left behind tend to have some other factor tying them in.

Very sad to have witnessed, and I can only hope things can be turned around. Hard to see as the various boards in place are not really able to hold the leadership to account in any meaningful way - the downside of the trust-owned model (there's some magnificent upsides), and the urgency doesn't seem to really be there with £1billion in the bank.

Advice to Management

Admit your inexperience and your mistakes - it won't be as bad as you think and in the long-term will make things better. Clear the decks of "yes-people" rather than stocking up (expensively) on new people who are not being vetted in a way that will lead to strong workforce performance. Do what you can to keep the clear thinkers and the squeaky wheels - yes they can be a challenge, but that's generally because they are better at what they do than you are, and that's not a bad thing!

10. "Great place to work, good product, let down by strategy"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great newspaper and online product which you can really become a part of.
    Excellent office and working spaces and location in Kings Cross is good.
    Yearly salary review and bonus (altho not paid out recently).
    Private medical insurance.
    Good IT equipment and flexible working opportunities.
    Yearly paid work for a charity days

Cons

At the time, the company was going through transition from old editor to new editor as well as massive digital disruption, which meant many of the old business models and revenue streams were becoming rapidly obsolete. When I left the company everything was in limbo, followed by a mass redundancy program a few weeks later.
    At the time there was really poor collaboration between the three "pillars" - commercial, editorial and digital development.

Advice to Management

Identify a clear business strategy and set everyones objectives to drive that to encourage collaboration and efficiency.