Guardian News & Media Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.6
David Pemsel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • transparency from senior management (in 8 reviews)

• Hugely political, un-collaborative, poor senior management, lack of leadership, no coherent vision or strategy for the future (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Flexible working hours, lots of training available.

Cons

Large company, lots of departments sometimes working in silos.

2. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long term approach to editorially driven journalism. Never worked in a news room with so many experienced and talented people. A positive working environment.

Cons

It can be bureaucratic and frustrating. If you want a start-up media environment, given all the experienced people arond this is not necessarily for you.

3. "Interesting projects and good balance of work"

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Guardian News & Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, working with really intelligent people who are passionate about their work. Good mix of digital, video and print. Working with the different editorial teams is insightful. Project management methods were good.

Cons

There was sometimes a bit of a bottleneck of reporting at times which took away from managing the client.
    Can seem a little cliquey, to begin with, and it's slow to get to know people but once you've been there a while it's fine.
    Find the right person/department to help solve a problem can be time-consuming and bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Streamline approvals of POs/costs, keep sharing information and knowledge so people can find solutions quickly. Make sure new starters and freelancers feel included.

4. "Jobs department"

Current Employee - Client Partner in London, England
    Current Employee - Client Partner in London, England

I have been working at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay, holidays, benefits, colleagues, training and development

Cons

nepotism, bullying, mild sexism, unclear vision for the future

Advice to Management

nepotism within the jobs team. A recent restructure has resulted in some promotions and some people becoming more untouchable than ever, Especially those who contribute to creating a toxic environment at work, Its a real shame . It would be good for those who sit above to come in to review this.

5. "Good Company"

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Left due to relocation only.

6. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Cross, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Cross, England

I have been working at Guardian News & Media full-time

Pros

Treated like an adult, not a child.

Cons

Some people over-promoted, others under-promoted.

Advice to Management

None.

"Despite brilliant people, rot now set in due to incompetency at the top"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A truly important mission and cause to work towards, particularly in an age of media mistrust and increasing "fact creation". Digital team: packed with some of the most talented, self-starting and committed people I've worked with. One of the few top-notch digital teams in the country that isn't just working to line the pockets of a tech billionaire or soulless Venture Capital/PE firms. Editorial team: second to none, although there's quite a lot of (perhaps necessary?) fat. Commercial team: well, there's a lot of them, and there are a couple of diamonds struggling to shine through the management muddle.

Cons

Top 3-4 layers of management (which is 2-3 too many) are simply a calibre lower than the workforce they manage, starting at the top with the CEO a marketing man clearly a long way out of his depth and a editor-in-chief who is struggling to find the mojo she wielded in her previous roles.

C-suite are inexperienced and tend to do and say little to avoid giving away the fact that they don't really have a Scooby Doo, which has caused a breakdown in trust all down the line. This has now led to virtually all of the mid-level talent on the operational side (the strategic thinkers, the senior engineers, the more brilliant salespeople etc.) leaving first in a trickle then in a rush, with management covering their tracks with the old tropes of "fast-moving modern workforce" etc. It's sadly now become a debacle - the only senior talent left behind tend to have some other factor tying them in.

Very sad to have witnessed, and I can only hope things can be turned around. Hard to see as the various boards in place are not really able to hold the leadership to account in any meaningful way - the downside of the trust-owned model (there's some magnificent upsides), and the urgency doesn't seem to really be there with £1billion in the bank.

Advice to Management

Admit your inexperience and your mistakes - it won't be as bad as you think and in the long-term will make things better. Clear the decks of "yes-people" rather than stocking up (expensively) on new people who are not being vetted in a way that will lead to strong workforce performance. Do what you can to keep the clear thinkers and the squeaky wheels - yes they can be a challenge, but that's generally because they are better at what they do than you are, and that's not a bad thing!

8. "Great place to work, good product, let down by strategy"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great newspaper and online product which you can really become a part of.
    Excellent office and working spaces and location in Kings Cross is good.
    Yearly salary review and bonus (altho not paid out recently).
    Private medical insurance.
    Good IT equipment and flexible working opportunities.
    Yearly paid work for a charity days

Cons

At the time, the company was going through transition from old editor to new editor as well as massive digital disruption, which meant many of the old business models and revenue streams were becoming rapidly obsolete. When I left the company everything was in limbo, followed by a mass redundancy program a few weeks later.
    At the time there was really poor collaboration between the three "pillars" - commercial, editorial and digital development.

Advice to Management

Identify a clear business strategy and set everyones objectives to drive that to encourage collaboration and efficiency.

9. "Digital development: lions led by turkeys"

Former Employee - Front End Developer in London, England
    Former Employee - Front End Developer in London, England

I worked at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some wonderfully talented and diligent people in the Guardian's digital development team. Product quality is impeccable and programmers care deeply about user experience and accessibility.

As a front end developer, working here is a great addition to your CV: you'll contribute to large-scale projects in one of the most prestigious web development teams in Europe. You'll use cutting edge technologies and get to lead some serious R&D.

Cons

As a developer, I had two day-to-day problems:
    - No-one can give me product requirements
    - No-one can help me build it in this humongous tech estate

Problem one was a symptom of poor communication and lacklustre management. Teams lacked direction and no-one really took ownership of work items. Project management was weak and work programmes frequently drifted months out of date. I never saw even one user story get completed on time, on spec, or on cost.

Problem two was really one of support. Systems were large, ancient and undocumented, and - I'm afraid to say this - I found that several senior developers were quite aloof and unresponsive when I asked for help understanding their applications.

My time at GNM was very frustrating, and I have advised quite a few people not to bother working there.

Advice to Management

Your project and product managers are not up to scratch. You need people who can take responsibility for work programmes and ensure requirements are collected effectively and on time. "Agile" is not a good enough excuse for teams discovering requirements half-way through development.

Developers: try and build a better social environment for your peers, especially new starters. DigDev is far too cliquey. More than anything my time at GNM was lonely.

10. "Great Place to Work, Senior Mangement tho"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Guardian News & Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really fantastic work culture, you feel really empowered to make decisions as an engineer.
    Lots of creative freedom
    Great people to work with, everyone is so friendly!

Cons

Decisions made by senior management are terrible and have resulted in is losing a lot of good people. They don't seem to care.

Advice to Management

Maybe don't keep telling your engineers they could be paid more else where and we're here because we believe in the mission and then claim that the reason