Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology Reviews

Updated 20 Aug 2019

3.7
  1. "Good place if science is your thing. Otherwise, develop yourself elsewhere."

Former Employee - PhD Research Assistant in Gwangju

I worked at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- you can live just ok on the money you get (Ph.D. gets 1M KRW - depends on a professor) - great facilities - good living conditions - an opportunity to explore Korea and learn Korean culture - valuable experience - would recommend to anyone who wants to do science and dedicate his life to academia - would recommend to any STEM foreign students who want a degree, have access to free education and willing to... work hard for it - would advise against anyone who has other options and can do other things with his life - Ph.D. is rarely 4 years here (more like 4.5 - 9+)

Cons

- no life-work balance - you are stuck in the lab for 10+ hours every day - bad culture - professors are treated like gods (and act like ones) - low pay (you can survive and even save if you are frugal) - high workload (if you want to graduate you have to work like slave) - no sense of achievement (your work is not appreciated) - skewed values (life of a scientist became a chase for publications in high impact... factor journals) IMHO there are other ways to serve people (and science) - if you fail to graduate you will have to pay some percentage of the money they invested in you back MOST IMPORTANT CON: - you get fixed money from GIST (about 450k at the moment)and a salary from a professor. He can pay you 1.5M or he can pay you 0. Totally up to him. Still rated 3 stars because GIST gave me a lot of lessons and working experience. I wouldn't be who I am without it.

Advice to Management

To all professors in GIST: - tame your ego - learn how to manage people and you will get amazing results - money-hunting is not why you came into science - focus on supervising your students, they lack guidance 24/7

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2019-08-21
  2. "MS degree candidate"

Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good research environment for studnets

Cons

But it is different depend on lab

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2019-04-20
  3. "Research Institute with High Research Facilities"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Gwangju

Pros

Full curriculum run in English, 3rd in the world considering Citation per faculty. Collaboration with Caltech. Graduate assistantship is available for all student. No 1 in Korea considering technology transfer.

Cons

It is far from the city. The size of the university is comparatively small( only 2000 students)

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2019-01-15
  4. "PhD student"

Current Employee - PhD Student in Gwangju

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Calm and peaceful environment Beautiful campus Good living facilities

Cons

Language barrier Huge Culture barrier Difficult communication Administrative problems Difficult to secure resources, sometimes

Advice to Management

Implement rules to promote global culture rather than traditional Korean culture

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2019-01-10
  5. "Long Working Hour"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Gwangju

I worked at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned many techniques, worked with talented researcher

Cons

Long working hour (12hrs for almost all labs) which made me exhausted

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2018-02-23
  6. "PhD candidate"

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time

Pros

good and clean facilities, kind people, low cost of living

Cons

it is far from the heart of a city

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2017-11-24
  7. "Post doc"

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time

Pros

It is a good experience.

Cons

They give very few vacation days.

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2017-10-12
  8. "Freedom to do what's best for my students"

I worked at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I really liked that they didn't micromanage me. Everyone in my department was able to utilize their strengths in order to best serve their students. Pay and benefits were good, and working conditions were excellent.

Cons

Female students were frequently sexually harassed and/or belittled in their labs, and international students were often ostracized or discriminated against. Complaints to the university often fell on deaf ears. The lack of healthy food options on campus is also a problem. Students need to eat well if they are expected to perform their best academically.

Advice to Management

Do more to make the university a safe and fair space for females. Actively recruit more female students, faculty, and researchers (women are seriously underrepresented in the current male/female ratio--my guess would be an 80/20 or worse split). Sponsor more women's organizations on campus, and implement a mentoring program. Do not tolerate sexism or racism at any level. Open a grocery store, or add a fresh... produce section to the stores on campus. It's ridiculous that you can buy ramyeon and candy but not fruit and vegetables.

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2017-08-24
  9. "Good School, Full of Evil Professors"

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time

Pros

The administration of the school is willing to do everything for its students.

Cons

I never seen a single professor who is actually researching, even though teaching load is almost none here.

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2017-07-24

"Research Assistant, MS student"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Gwangju

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Equipment, Infrastructure, Location, Perks, Professors

Cons

Language, Long work hours, Alienation, Some lectures are taught in Korean even though they are advertised as being taught in English.

Advice to Management

Make sure that all lectures are taught purely in English, as advertised. Take care of long work hours.

Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology2017-06-16