Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology Reviews

Updated 5 May 2020

3.9
  1. "good"

Current Employee - Masters

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

government supponsored, enthusiastic research, very good atmosphere for studies

Cons

A lot of pressure for academic publications

2. "It all depends on your professor"

4.0
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High quality devices and tech. / Good library / Paid tuition and + small student support (500,000 KRW for Phd)

Cons

Everything depends on professors and not on law or rules/ Professor might give you no further money while around 1M won is needed for a 2 person life / Working hours up to late or mid-night depending on professor / Out of town / Must learn Korean for outside survival / Few foreigners

3. "Good choice for deep research"

Current Employee - Corporate Security Analyst

Pros

Good research enviroments for resarch and study

Cons

Poor salary, a lot of stuff

4. "Good place if science is your thing. Otherwise, develop yourself elsewhere."

Former Employee - PhD Research Assistant in Gwangju

I worked at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- you can live just ok on the money you get (Ph.D. gets 1M KRW - depends on a professor) - great facilities - good living conditions - an opportunity to explore Korea and learn Korean culture - valuable experience - would recommend to anyone who wants to do science and dedicate his life to academia - would recommend to any STEM foreign students who want a degree, have access to free education and willing to work hard for it - would advise against anyone who has other options and can do other things with his life - Ph.D. is rarely 4 years here (more like 4.5 - 9+)

Cons

- no life-work balance - you are stuck in the lab for 10+ hours every day - bad culture - professors are treated like gods (and act like ones) - low pay (you can survive and even save if you are frugal) - high workload (if you want to graduate you have to work like slave) - no sense of achievement (your work is not appreciated) - skewed values (life of a scientist became a chase for publications in high impact factor journals) IMHO there are other ways to serve people (and science) - if you fail to graduate you will have to pay some percentage of the money they invested in you back MOST IMPORTANT CON: - you get fixed money from GIST (about 450k at the moment)and a salary from a professor. He can pay you 1.5M or he can pay you 0. Totally up to him. Still rated 3 stars because GIST gave me a lot of lessons and working experience. I wouldn't be who I am without it.

Continue reading
  5. "MS degree candidate"

Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good research environment for studnets

Cons

But it is different depend on lab

6. "Research Institute with High Research Facilities"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Gwangju

Pros

Full curriculum run in English, 3rd in the world considering Citation per faculty. Collaboration with Caltech. Graduate assistantship is available for all student. No 1 in Korea considering technology transfer.

Cons

It is far from the city. The size of the university is comparatively small( only 2000 students)

7. "PhD student"

2.0
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Gwangju

Pros

Calm and peaceful environment Beautiful campus Good living facilities

Cons

Language barrier Huge Culture barrier Difficult communication Administrative problems Difficult to secure resources, sometimes

Continue reading
  8. "Long Working Hour"

2.0
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Gwangju

I worked at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned many techniques, worked with talented researcher

Cons

Long working hour (12hrs for almost all labs) which made me exhausted

9. "PhD candidate"

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time

Pros

good and clean facilities, kind people, low cost of living

Cons

it is far from the heart of a city

10. "Post doc"

4.0

I have been working at Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology full-time

Pros

It is a good experience.

Cons

They give very few vacation days.

Found 24 reviews