HS2 Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.6
Phil Hollyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Web Developer"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at HS2 for a few years and zero complaints with the company. Perks like the dot-com era. Free health care, unlimited vacation, owners who actually work alongside you on projects. It reads like it's too good to be true.

The deal is that it's a highly competitive environment. This is the kind of place where you might learn on Monday that by Wednesday you're going to be on a client that uses a whole suite of software you've never seen before. You can of course talk to the people around you about whether this is a sane thing to do, and the PMs are happy to work to make sure this goal can be achieved. But if you're ever going to say, "I don't want to learn that," then this isn't the place for you. Those same PMs will also help you get reimbursement if you need some last-minute crash courses.

The key phrase I like to use is this: If you like being the dumbest person in the room, this is the place for you. Everyone around you is hungry to learn and achieve, so you absolutely have to be ready to move. For me, that's a huge perk. There's also beer in the fridge, your PM is probably game to hit a bar after work, and your holiday party will be at a bowling alley with free food.

Cons

When I started, the entire company fit into a medium-sized living room. Now, we're essentially in 3 locations, or 2+1 since one is upstairs from the other, and they're all as large as the company I started working for.

HS2 is growing more quickly than I'd figured for the company. The owners sold their last venture and so my biggest concern is that we'll be so successful we'll get sold off to some heartless buyer and I'll have to bail for another up-and-comer. In the near-term, 2-3 years, I think the company is a dream.

Long-term, 4-5 years, this could be such a large agency that the culture could change. We're already functionally in 3 buildings even though one location is just upstairs from the other.

Advice to Management

Do better to communicate long-term plans. Near-term there are quarterly profit reviews for the company. We know everything about the day-to-day. However, lots of us were surprised when the company announced they'd gotten an investor. We had no clue the company was looking for capital, we were totally flush with cash. We're all along for the ride, right now we're just not 100% where it's headed.

"HS2 Solutions is a GREAT company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'v e worked for HS2 for five years. HS2 is a incredible company with a great work/life balance, wonderful benefits, fantastic clients and terrific work. I can't imagine a better company to work for.

Cons

I really don't have a complaint about HS2.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management? Keep up the good work!

"All work, no play"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented colleagues who are open to share knowledge.

The work is exciting and rewarding. They work with great clients and when in the office there is always fun to be had. The ability to work from home is also a great perk.

Cons

Employees are expected to be available for work practically 24-7 or on-call. A 16 hour day is not unheard of. Also, they don't want you to have any time not billable to the clients. This allows little to no time for scheduling, planning, training. Management is not happy unless you have 50+ hours billed a week.

They are afraid to fire people so there is some dead weight making it harder on others.

Advice to Management

You are promoting the wrong people. There are some tremendous leaders stuck in their dad to day.

"Smart co-workers, great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

HS2 Solutions is a fantastic place to work. It is a place where the skies the limit, you can do or be whatever you want, if you want to get into new technologies so you can move to work with other clients, they will work with you to do so. We all work hard, everyone helps each other out and everyone is very smart. We do whatever it takes to meet deadlines and put out the best product for our clients. You can work from home and take unlimited vacation, so long as you are communicating that with your team.

Cons

We have such low turnover that it is rare that HS2 has hired someone who isn't a fit, however, when we do have such people it seems that the company doesn't quite know what to do with them. It seems as if we don't really have the tools to mentor that person up to the job and we don't get rid of them fast enough, if they aren't able to get up to speed, which at HS2 is a high bar.

Advice to Management

Keep growing smartly and continue to hire cautiously, the future is bright.

"Fantastic Company, Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly love working at HS2. My co-workers are smart, talented, and enthusiastic. If you are proactive and consistently push yourself to improve and expand your skills, you are acknowledged and rewarded for it. People enjoy being here, which gives the office a positive charge.

Cons

Like with any fast-growing company, there are occasional growing pains, but in my experience our management is great about listening to concerns as they come up and working to solve issues as quickly as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great company, great people, great clients"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having been here for several years has allowed me to see the company grow and evolve in positive ways. The people that work here are excellent and there is a distinct sense of appreciation for what every team member is able to contribute. We work with very interesting clients on projects with meaningful impact to their business. As an organization we are very non-hierarchical which feeds into the sense of culture and collaboration.

Cons

The environment in which we work is constantly changing, which can be a source of stress at the individual and organizational level - at the same time this presents a lot of opportunities for everyone around.

"Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An amazing company and culture. There are lots of smart and dedicated people who are fun and collaborative to work with. You will learn and grow and be challenged while being supported by an employee friendly culture. There is long standing leadership provided by very active founders. They know how to grow the company, are rationale and grounded and truly value the people that work at the firm.

Cons

I love working here and have for a long time. I think some reasons this place may not be for everyone would be a) It is results oriented, growing and everyone is accountable. You need to be able to keep up. b) You will get feedback - it is supportive and professional but you have to want to grow and get better no matter your level or role. c) The culture is mid-western - in the best sense - real, friendly, low key, however there are sexier places to work if you prefer hype, sizzle and buzz.

Advice to Management

Please don't change what you are doing as the firm grows - let's keep what is special here.

"Work Excellence and Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working for HS2 over 4 years now and have absolutely no interest in going anywhere any time soon. When I first joined, I had just left a company where I was a top employee and felt very confident in my skills and felt like I was on top of my game.

My world went upside down when I joined HS2 as I suddenly felt like I was the least qualified and least experienced person around (this was a good feeling). My coworkers were and are some of the best people I've ever worked with and have some of the most amazing and varied skills in various technologies. I'm always learning, always growing, and always challenged. There's never a dull moment and when I start to feel too comfortable with a project or feel like I'm not growing, HS2 has happily honored my requests to be moved to something new and more challenging.

Work Life Balance at HS2 is real. There are multiple negative reviews that mention this isn't the case but I can't fathom why. This is an amazing and busy company with some amazing clients and that means we often have to work hard hours for some extended periods to get stuff done - but I would expect that from any job. I've never felt guilty taking vacations and have been on multiple busy projects where I was urged to go take some time off and just reset. After a particularly grueling project, I requested and got several weeks off to fully relax and enjoy my personal life before I jumped into another fast-paced environment. HS2 has fully supported any time I needed off when I was feeling burnt out and has never held me accountable for that time.

As always, not every project and not every week is the same. I go anywhere from working 40-hour weeks to 60-hour weeks with a majority being between 40 to 45 on a normal scale and 45-50 for a normal busy week. Any personal time doing training or learning isn't "billable" but does count and is recorded as time worked.

Everything we do is held to very high standards and HS2 focuses on hiring the best of the best and encourages continued growth, learning, and collaboration. I couldn't picture myself anywhere else.

Cons

The company is growing very quickly and though this is typically a good thing, there's a little fear of it getting a little out of hand. Processing reviews takes longer and longer every year as there are more employees to handle.

Top level management can be a little difficult to learn to work with on a personal level but once you get to know them, everyone's wonderful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep hiring talented employees but don't grow too large too quickly! More opportunities to work on personal projects during work hours would be awesome.

"Web developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Good location and place in Chicago

Cons

Don't explain much. Not a welciming environment.

"Campaign Manager"

Pros

The company is very selective when interviewing talent so you know you are working with the best. We learn from each other

Cons

There really are none to mention.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.