HS2 Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

4.7
Phil Hollyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Client Services / Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people and culture are amazing. Felt like I was a part of a family.
    - Flexibility to your lifestyle: I decided to move back to MI when starting a family. The management at HS2 as completely supportive and allowed me to work remotely.
    - Smart people: Everyone at HS2 is truly an expert in their respective roles. I never felt like the smartest person in the room, which is motivating for me, and I learned so much from co-workers throughout my four years.
    - Guidance: This goes hand in hand with the smart people. Sr. management, career coaches, and mentors actually take an interest in your career advancement and personal growth. As a post-grad employee, this was extremely valuable to me.

Cons

Due to rapid growth, some internal process need attention and refinement. These processes have been identified, but they can be difficult to attend to with the amount of new client work.

2. "Quality Work, Ethical, Smart, and Fun"

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time

Pros

Client work that is complex and satisfying. Leadership who cares about their people. Team members who are some of the smartest around. And co-workers who want to hang out together after work! I couldn't ask for a better environment.

Cons

HS2 has been steadily growing and with all growth, growing pains are to be expected. However, the HS2 leadership goes out of their way to be transparent, recognizing areas that need to be worked on or addressed, as well as asking for feedback and ideas from the company as a whole.

Some of the cons from other reviewers are intriguing to me. My experience at HS2 is this: If you raise your hand with a concern or complaint, it will be addressed. No company is perfect, but a management team who both values opinions of their employees and wants to create a desirable work culture, is a management team worth keeping.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I'm excited to see what the next phase of HS2 will hold.

3. "Talent and Culture Manager"

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time

Pros

The leadership is spot on. The culture is unique in that you walk into a space where people are passionate and motivated. It inspires you to raise the bar in your own position. The teams are collaborative and excited to share experience with others. The company does a great job with including team members who work remotely, like: HS2's Hackathon, Beer O'Clock(happy hour), Friday lunches, Philanthropic opportunities, and holiday parties (not just in December). HS2 fosters an environment thats breeds creativity and growth. It's one of the best, if not the best company I have worked for!

Cons

As the company continues to bring in green talent, it will benefit to solidify a training program. The company does a ton of things right, but there's always room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Transparency is key:)

5. "Good Place, Hardwork"

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time

Pros

Great environment to work
    Great Benefits
    Friendly Team
    Transparent Work Practice
    Excellent Resources
    Mentor Service
    Flat Management
    Challenging Work

Cons

Overtime
    Poor Hindsight On Project Complexity
    Project Coordination

Advice to Management

I think that HS2 has a great atmosphere. Compare to other local Development companies, HS2 has built a good foundation. The only thing is the need to make sure that the initial phase of setting up a project is clean and correct. Initial projects need to have a clear projection and appropriate end date.

"Poor planning"

I worked at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Telecommuting is a bonus.
    Talented teams.
    Fun company atmosphere

Cons

If you telecommute, expect to work 12-14 hour days.

Meetings rarely start on time and colleagues schedule meetings when you clearly have the time blocked out.

Constantly micro managing the completely competent, while the slackers slug along.

Too many employees, not enough work.

Advice to Management

Promoting the wrong talent.
    Trust those you hire.
    It's ok to let go those who don't pull their weight.

"Web Developer"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at HS2 for a few years and zero complaints with the company. Perks like the dot-com era. Free health care, unlimited vacation, owners who actually work alongside you on projects. It reads like it's too good to be true.

The deal is that it's a highly competitive environment. This is the kind of place where you might learn on Monday that by Wednesday you're going to be on a client that uses a whole suite of software you've never seen before. You can of course talk to the people around you about whether this is a sane thing to do, and the PMs are happy to work to make sure this goal can be achieved. But if you're ever going to say, "I don't want to learn that," then this isn't the place for you. Those same PMs will also help you get reimbursement if you need some last-minute crash courses.

The key phrase I like to use is this: If you like being the dumbest person in the room, this is the place for you. Everyone around you is hungry to learn and achieve, so you absolutely have to be ready to move. For me, that's a huge perk. There's also beer in the fridge, your PM is probably game to hit a bar after work, and your holiday party will be at a bowling alley with free food.

Cons

When I started, the entire company fit into a medium-sized living room. Now, we're essentially in 3 locations, or 2+1 since one is upstairs from the other, and they're all as large as the company I started working for.

HS2 is growing more quickly than I'd figured for the company. The owners sold their last venture and so my biggest concern is that we'll be so successful we'll get sold off to some heartless buyer and I'll have to bail for another up-and-comer. In the near-term, 2-3 years, I think the company is a dream.

Long-term, 4-5 years, this could be such a large agency that the culture could change. We're already functionally in 3 buildings even though one location is just upstairs from the other.

Advice to Management

Do better to communicate long-term plans. Near-term there are quarterly profit reviews for the company. We know everything about the day-to-day. However, lots of us were surprised when the company announced they'd gotten an investor. We had no clue the company was looking for capital, we were totally flush with cash. We're all along for the ride, right now we're just not 100% where it's headed.

"HS2 Solutions is a GREAT company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'v e worked for HS2 for five years. HS2 is a incredible company with a great work/life balance, wonderful benefits, fantastic clients and terrific work. I can't imagine a better company to work for.

Cons

I really don't have a complaint about HS2.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management? Keep up the good work!

"Smart co-workers, great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

HS2 Solutions is a fantastic place to work. It is a place where the skies the limit, you can do or be whatever you want, if you want to get into new technologies so you can move to work with other clients, they will work with you to do so. We all work hard, everyone helps each other out and everyone is very smart. We do whatever it takes to meet deadlines and put out the best product for our clients. You can work from home and take unlimited vacation, so long as you are communicating that with your team.

Cons

We have such low turnover that it is rare that HS2 has hired someone who isn't a fit, however, when we do have such people it seems that the company doesn't quite know what to do with them. It seems as if we don't really have the tools to mentor that person up to the job and we don't get rid of them fast enough, if they aren't able to get up to speed, which at HS2 is a high bar.

Advice to Management

Keep growing smartly and continue to hire cautiously, the future is bright.

"Fantastic Company, Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly love working at HS2. My co-workers are smart, talented, and enthusiastic. If you are proactive and consistently push yourself to improve and expand your skills, you are acknowledged and rewarded for it. People enjoy being here, which gives the office a positive charge.

Cons

Like with any fast-growing company, there are occasional growing pains, but in my experience our management is great about listening to concerns as they come up and working to solve issues as quickly as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great company, great people, great clients"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having been here for several years has allowed me to see the company grow and evolve in positive ways. The people that work here are excellent and there is a distinct sense of appreciation for what every team member is able to contribute. We work with very interesting clients on projects with meaningful impact to their business. As an organization we are very non-hierarchical which feeds into the sense of culture and collaboration.

Cons

The environment in which we work is constantly changing, which can be a source of stress at the individual and organizational level - at the same time this presents a lot of opportunities for everyone around.