HS2 Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-time Part-time

4.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Phil Hollyer

1. "Smart co-workers, great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

HS2 Solutions is a fantastic place to work. It is a place where the skies the limit, you can do or be whatever you want, if you want to get into new technologies so you can move to work with other clients, they will work with you to do so. We all work hard, everyone helps each other out and everyone is very smart. We do whatever it takes to meet deadlines and put out the best product for our clients. You can work from home and take unlimited vacation, so long as you are communicating that with your team.

Cons

We have such low turnover that it is rare that HS2 has hired someone who isn't a fit, however, when we do have such people it seems that the company doesn't quite know what to do with them. It seems as if we don't really have the tools to mentor that person up to the job and we don't get rid of them fast enough, if they aren't able to get up to speed, which at HS2 is a high bar.

Advice to Management

Keep growing smartly and continue to hire cautiously, the future is bright.

2. "Fantastic Company, Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly love working at HS2. My co-workers are smart, talented, and enthusiastic. If you are proactive and consistently push yourself to improve and expand your skills, you are acknowledged and rewarded for it. People enjoy being here, which gives the office a positive charge.

Cons

Like with any fast-growing company, there are occasional growing pains, but in my experience our management is great about listening to concerns as they come up and working to solve issues as quickly as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

3. "Great company, great people, great clients"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having been here for several years has allowed me to see the company grow and evolve in positive ways. The people that work here are excellent and there is a distinct sense of appreciation for what every team member is able to contribute. We work with very interesting clients on projects with meaningful impact to their business. As an organization we are very non-hierarchical which feeds into the sense of culture and collaboration.

Cons

The environment in which we work is constantly changing, which can be a source of stress at the individual and organizational level - at the same time this presents a lot of opportunities for everyone around.

5. "Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An amazing company and culture. There are lots of smart and dedicated people who are fun and collaborative to work with. You will learn and grow and be challenged while being supported by an employee friendly culture. There is long standing leadership provided by very active founders. They know how to grow the company, are rationale and grounded and truly value the people that work at the firm.

Cons

I love working here and have for a long time. I think some reasons this place may not be for everyone would be a) It is results oriented, growing and everyone is accountable. You need to be able to keep up. b) You will get feedback - it is supportive and professional but you have to want to grow and get better no matter your level or role. c) The culture is mid-western - in the best sense - real, friendly, low key, however there are sexier places to work if you prefer hype, sizzle and buzz.

Advice to Management

Please don't change what you are doing as the firm grows - let's keep what is special here.

"Great place"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company with a vibrant culture. If you're looking for a desk job where your boss won't know your name and you can just do your 9-5 and go home, this isn't it. HS2 always feels like it's got a startup vibe going, there's beer in the fridge and you're allowed as much vacation as you want so long as your work gets done. Work hard, play hard.

HS2 is the first place I've ever worked where I see someone send out an email that they're leaving the company, and I'm just completely befuddled. They let you work from home, they make tons of room for your personal life. Another company would have to double my salary to get me to move.

Yes, the unlimited vacation is real. Obviously HS2 does a lot of client work so you can't just disappear right before a deadline (unless you negotiate for it ahead of time - and this happens all the time, if you booked a trip three months in advance just make sure everyone knows). For example, I had a difficult client for a year that nearly stressed me to death, and at one point when we got a break I took a week off and worked from another state for the next two. How many companies will let you do that?

People constantly take off early to pick up their kids from school, and the owners aren't shy when it comes to taking a ski trip. But if a client needs something done now, there are absolutely people who will pick up 60+ hours, even though they're salaried so they don't get an immediate bonus for doing so. There is plenty of room for advancement and an incentive structure that gives you a year-end reward, but it's definitely a work hard play hard atmosphere.

HS2 even gives employees quarterly financial reports as though it were a publicly traded company and you're the shareholders. I've never seen a company do that before.

Finally: It gets difficult to readjust to what "normal" business is like outside HS2. I heard a friend talk about how the IT department at their business is reluctant to get certified in a new software, even though the company has to use it. That's unimaginable at HS2. It wouldn't even occur to someone at HS2 to say they "don't" want to learn a new software, unless they have a real business objection to using it. If you're the sort of person who has your "preferred" methods and you're not going to budge for anyone, this is not the place for you. You're free to work in your own software and do things to your own tune, but when the client needs work done, you do the work.

Cons

Not everyone likes a demanding workplace. HS2 is a place where even if you've been there ten years you will still usually feel like the dumbest person in the room, because everyone is amazingly talented at something you don't know. If you're hoping to find a job where you're king of your own fiefdom, this isn't it. One day you'll be in awe of some wizard programmer who seems to know everything, the next you'll be teaching that person about a system because it's new to them. Everyone loves to help and share what they know, everyone is completely willing to help get you up to speed on whatever you need to get your work done, but you have to be able to hit the ground running.

Advice to Management

Could be a little more clear on future plans, sometimes the overall direction of the business takes a turn that the workers weren't expecting. You always know you're in good hands so it's not a worry, but you could stand to get a little more info up front.

"Work Excellence and Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at HS2 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working for HS2 over 4 years now and have absolutely no interest in going anywhere any time soon. When I first joined, I had just left a company where I was a top employee and felt very confident in my skills and felt like I was on top of my game.

My world went upside down when I joined HS2 as I suddenly felt like I was the least qualified and least experienced person around (this was a good feeling). My coworkers were and are some of the best people I've ever worked with and have some of the most amazing and varied skills in various technologies. I'm always learning, always growing, and always challenged. There's never a dull moment and when I start to feel too comfortable with a project or feel like I'm not growing, HS2 has happily honored my requests to be moved to something new and more challenging.

Work Life Balance at HS2 is real. There are multiple negative reviews that mention this isn't the case but I can't fathom why. This is an amazing and busy company with some amazing clients and that means we often have to work hard hours for some extended periods to get stuff done - but I would expect that from any job. I've never felt guilty taking vacations and have been on multiple busy projects where I was urged to go take some time off and just reset. After a particularly grueling project, I requested and got several weeks off to fully relax and enjoy my personal life before I jumped into another fast-paced environment. HS2 has fully supported any time I needed off when I was feeling burnt out and has never held me accountable for that time.

As always, not every project and not every week is the same. I go anywhere from working 40-hour weeks to 60-hour weeks with a majority being between 40 to 45 on a normal scale and 45-50 for a normal busy week. Any personal time doing training or learning isn't "billable" but does count and is recorded as time worked.

Everything we do is held to very high standards and HS2 focuses on hiring the best of the best and encourages continued growth, learning, and collaboration. I couldn't picture myself anywhere else.

Cons

The company is growing very quickly and though this is typically a good thing, there's a little fear of it getting a little out of hand. Processing reviews takes longer and longer every year as there are more employees to handle.

Top level management can be a little difficult to learn to work with on a personal level but once you get to know them, everyone's wonderful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep hiring talented employees but don't grow too large too quickly! More opportunities to work on personal projects during work hours would be awesome.

"Web developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Good location and place in Chicago

Cons

Don't explain much. Not a welciming environment.

9. "Campaign Manager"

Pros

The company is very selective when interviewing talent so you know you are working with the best. We learn from each other

Cons

There really are none to mention.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Flex Time Not as Advertised"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Wheaton, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Wheaton, IL (US)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Nice office.

Friendly and enthusiastic employees.

Snacks and drinks provided in office.

Fantastic HR team.

They're very organized in their whole on-boarding process.

Company seems stable with the amount of clients they have.

Cons

Lack of respect for anyone trying to have a life outside of HS2. It seems the majority of people who love this place are the type where there is no separation between their work and personal life. They live and breath HS2.

Obsession over billable time: Employees expected to learn new technologies on their own time (since it's not billable).

Weekend standup meetings. Employees expected to be working weekends with zero regard for their personal life and plans away from the office.

Overbearing management.

Unlimited vacation is not what it seems. Employees held accountable for any vacation time used.

Advice to Management

Stand by your apparent belief in flex time. Support your employees by allowing them to learn new technologies while at work, instead of trying to squeeze it in at lunch or after hours (during times they are supposed to be allowed time and space from work).

"Top-Level Agency"

Former Employee - Interactive Developer in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Interactive Developer in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

Pros

HS2 truly puts a focus on their employees happiness and ability to be productive. Competency development is a huge initiative here as well - both furthering expertise in current skills, but also branching out and learning new things, attending conferences, and having access to materials to help further your career. There are no "bosses," everyone at HS2 is a peer and is respected as such.

Cons

HS2 is still learning and growing as a company, constantly refining their processes. This isn't a "con" so much as a fact of life. The positive here is that HS2 is consistently seeking to grow and improve.

Advice to Management

Try to gather all the competencies (Drupal, PHP, Javascript, et al.) for meetups more often to get teams on the same page. This is important with so many remote workers.