HSS Hire Reviews

Updated 7 May 2021

Found 178 of over 180 reviews

3.5
HSS Hire Chief Executive Officer Steve Ashmore (no image)
Steve Ashmore
Pros
  • "Some great people with progression offered if you work hard enough(in 8 reviews)

• "Friendly colleagues, great team, love the HSS ethos(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours worked for the pay received(in 12 reviews)

• "Poor Pay high expectations used and abused(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Supportive Employer

7 May 2021 - Director in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Internal Promotions encouraged throughout the business. Progressive thinking firm that is open to suggestions.

Cons

Salary scales vary too much between different Group Companies

Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we're pleased you're helping us #MakeItTogether every day

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Really supportive employer

6 May 2021 - Learning and Development in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent support, really people focussed, clear goals and ambitions for the business.

Cons

Some dated and lengthy processes but this is constantly being reviewed and improved as I type this.

Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're really pleased you're part of the HSS family!

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Working at HSS Group

25 Nov 2020 - Manager, Support Services in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working for Support Services, i.e working at home, your 8 hour day can start at your convenience etc. Intranet is a useful source of information and support. The personal Health Shield plan, cycle to work scheme and employee benefits is very good. Progression is an everyday opportunity. (No development though!)

Cons

Fractured management team i.e. macho egos clash, aggressive and bullish behaviors. No development or education for Directors i.e. a driver or counter employee can progress through the ranks without ANY basic management, HR, safety, procurement training. The business lack vision for the future product ranges and or services. (Making a hire company similar to Amazon is removing the human factors) Executive Team seem to be informed by a collection of people with out dated sentiments or little experience working the Hire Desk. Safety and wellbeing is not ingrained to Senior Individuals. I.e. the "safety is first an all our agendas" is a commonly the acceptance but the safety & wellbeing is reactive, poorly implemented and failing to flow through all the ranks.

Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We acknowledge that there are areas of development Group-wide that we continually strive to improve in order to enhance colleague experience. We do pride ourselves however on offering development opportunities to all our colleagues, however these are based on experience, skillset and training. If you would like to detail any further information, please email kwright@hss.com

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

iNCENTIVE

21 Apr 2021 - Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

GOOD CULTURE, Family orientated business good energy

Cons

Salary is lower than competitors

Head of HR

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback. We are incredibly proud of our culture - all colleagues work exceptionally hard to Make It Together every day

5. 5.0

Excellent

8 Apr 2021 - Operations Associate in Southampton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team great safety good praise

Cons

Not enough money for work expected

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Not terrible.

29 Apr 2021 - Assistant Branch Manager in Kings Cross, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with a lot of good people.

Cons

The wages do little to motivate the key workforce to perform as well as they could.

Head of HR

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We work hard to support competitive all-round benefits package for all roles and welcome any additional feedback you may have about your experience with us - kwright@hss.com Many thanks

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company to work for

14 Mar 2021 - Class II Driver in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyable day at work and friendly staff

Cons

None that I can think of.

Head of HR

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to respond, we are really pleased you're part of team HSS!

8. 5.0

Great company

13 Mar 2021 - Truck Driver in Reading, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great hours week day hours Friendly people Really safe

Cons

Work some weekend for a few hours on saturdays

Head of HR

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Safety certainly is one of our highest priorities Group-wide, and we are exceptionally proud of how our colleagues #MakeItSafe every day. If there are any suggestions you would like to share, or additional feedback, please let me know (kwright@hss.com)

9. 4.0

Review

9 Mar 2021 - National Key Account Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Investment in your skills and teamwork are top notch

Cons

Lack of product investment compared to competition.

Head of HR

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are pleased you are happy with the Group development and teamwork ethos. Our product team work hard to ensure our equipment is very much at the forefront of the industry - but appreciate investment can be complex and take time. Please ensure you provide feedback to your manager where you can to ensure we continue to #MakeItBetter every day!

10. 5.0

Good company

27 Feb 2021 - 7 V Ton Lorry Driver in Reading, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A good team to work for

Cons

Long hours and a bit more gratitude

Head of HR

Thank you for leaving a review, we appreciate all feedback and note your areas for improvement. We appreciate the relentless hard-work of all of our colleagues, and are actively developing our colleague wellbeing strategy to re-balance personal and team wellbeing across the Group.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 178 Reviews