Haines Watts Reviews

3.5
Haines Watts Group Managing Partner Michael Davidson
Michael Davidson
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great company to work for"

5.0

I have been working at Haines Watts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can drive your career where you want to Down to earth Partnership Passionate Leaders You can be yourself at work

Cons

Can sometimes lack social interaction in office

March 15, 2021Group People and Learning Advisor

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave a review and it's great to hear that you are enjoying working at Haines Watt.

2. COVID-19

"Good Job but not living up to expectations"

Current Employee - Tax Trainee in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Haines Watts full-time

Pros

Friendly staff and good pay

Cons

The training that was advertised with the job never seemed to arrive and I was told this was because I was not ready. When asking for help the staff and managers were either too busy or do it themselves. I have also been told by management that they did not know how to help me and blamed the pandemic for it.

April 19, 2021Group People and Learning Advisor

Thank you for your review. Can you please email some more information to national@hwca.com as it is really important to have more details so we can pick this up with the relevant office.

3. "Clear career path and progression"

4.0
    Current Employee - Audit and Accounts Trainee in London, England, England

I have been working at Haines Watts full-time

Pros

Flexibility of time off for ACA studies.

Cons

Sometimes under-appreciated due to company structure.

March 15, 2021Group People and Learning Advisor

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave a review and it's great to hear that you enjoyed working at Haines Watts and appreciate your feedback.

4. "Gary Heywood - owner of high wycombe - Does not pay commission due"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in High Wycombe, England, England

I have been working at Haines Watts full-time

Pros

bar owner - nice team

Cons

Gary Heywood conveniently forgets about agreed pay rises and commission owed. he currently owes several existing staff pay increases which he has agreed in the past and "conveniently" forgotten about He also owes thousands of pounds of commission to staff. he does not act with integrity.

5. "Great environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Accounts Senior in Bristol, England, England

I have been working at Haines Watts full-time

Pros

Friendly colleagues, great systems in place

Cons

There are no cons with HW

February 8, 2021Group People and Learning Advisor

6. COVID-19

"Avoid like the plague - or shall I say like COVID-19."

Current Employee - Auditor

I have been working at Haines Watts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ground staff are generally nice and friendly - we are all in the same boat and all know how bad it is, so the camaraderie is there.

Cons

- Toxic work place from the top down - If a client doesn't provide correct information/support for the audit the expectation is to just "get the audit done regardless" so the accounts can be signed ASAP, as profit is all that matters - Open affairs committed at after work events - Work place bullying - Unlawfully firing people for no good reason - Not performing timely background checks on people they hire - Total disregard for COVID regulations i.e. meetings taking place with zero social distancing and a desperate need to have people in the office (because they don't trust anyone) and if you do not come in, they find a reason to sack you - People take their masks off and stop social distancing as soon as they get into the office and there are no repercussions (other than catching covid) - People who were unwell with covid have felt like they have had to attend the office and then subsequently tested positive which has caused a lot of stress for vulnerable staff members - Making people they don't like "redundant" and then rehiring for that exact role (not legal) - Absolutely no chance of getting a promotion - Very little audit training for the graduate trainees is provided (other than going to college) which makes life more difficult for seniors/managers as the trainees need hand-holding on every job and cannot use their own judgement because they have not been provided with any standardised training - Ok salary, but no other benefits of significance, probably one of the most basic packages you could get

January 18, 2021Group People and Learning Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We would like to investigate this further and would ask that you contact the National office to discuss national@hwca.com

7. "Good"

2.0
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Reading, England, England

I worked at Haines Watts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice welcome package on starting, easy to use systems

Cons

team culture was poor and felt alone

February 8, 2021Group People and Learning Advisor

"Witholding of remuneration"

Former Employee - Audit Manager in High Wycombe, England, England

I worked at Haines Watts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generally the group is well managed with good perks. A friendly environment in the Aylesbury, Berkhamsted and High Wycombe office.

Cons

Gary Heywood (who is the owner of the High Wycombe office) conveniently forgets all verbal agreements that do not suit him to remember. For example i am still owed several thousand pounds of commission due to his lack of integrity. Similarly I know people still working for him who are still yet to receive a previously agreed pay rise over 6 months after the point at which it was supposed to be active.

November 16, 2020Group People and Learning Advisor

"Owner has no integrity"

Current Employee - Auditor in High Wycombe, England, England

I have been working at Haines Watts full-time

Pros

Other than the owner the team is great. Good banter in the office.

Cons

Owner has withheld remuneration from one of the staff who left. Gary Heywood(the owner) has acted so poorly with the resignation of one of the staff. I read the review of the person who left and I can verify that the owner "forgets" his verbal agreements on a daily basis...when it suits him ...convenient you may say. I suggest you consider working elsewhere.

January 11, 2021Group People and Learning Advisor

10. "Na"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - VAT Assistant Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Haines Watts full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, friendly people

Cons

Each office is a separate company, making working with other offices sometimes a challenge

November 16, 2020Group People and Learning Advisor

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave a review and it's great to hear that you enjoyed working at Haines Watts. It is always great to have positive feedback and that you found the people friendly. I wish you all the best with your new career path.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 72 Reviews