Hair Club Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.5
Hair Club President and Chief Operating Officer Mike Nassar
Mike Nassar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "We get to help people feel more confident with themselves" (in 28 reviews)

• "Long term employees show that it’s a great company" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "You have to not mind working Saturdays" (in 31 reviews)

• "Awesome company so No cons whatsoever" (in 21 reviews)

1. "hairdresser"

Current Employee - Hairdresser in London, England
    Current Employee - Hairdresser in London, England

I have been working at Hair Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great atmosphere nice people lovely salon peaceful vibes great employees and costumers

Cons

not enough time for breaks. salon is so busy always on my feet never a moment to sit

Advice to Management

no advise to management needed everything is brilliant lovely management and super energy

"Love my job!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Hair Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few of the things I love about this organization are the outstanding support and guidance from some of the most phenomenal people I've ever had the opportunity to work with. In addition, we have opportunity to impact and improve the lives of others.

Cons

There are no Cons to being part of this family.

3. "Ic"

I have been working at Hair Club full-time

Pros

Great working environment staff and clients

Cons

Having to work on Saturday

"Company could use a makeover inside out."

Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Hair Club full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can build lifelong friendships with staff and clients. You tend to see some clients on a weekly to biweekly basis...forever. Usually this is a good thing if they are nice people. The starting pay is pretty decent and the benefits are good.

Cons

Unfathomable meetings every single day, sometimes twice a day. We are talking at least 5-6 hours a week, sometimes more in just meetings. Beating a dead horse meetings about numbers, the terrible quality products they want you to sell and how to get the clients to upgrade, regardless of how high a membership they are on. The raises are not great, but if you have used car salesmen mentality you could go far in Hair Club with their commission based sales tactics.

Advice to Management

I really wish things were different because it could be an amazing company with a good product if the marketing, business model and treatment of employees would change completely. If you guys get with the times, it will make it such a better place to work for and definitely stop with the "good old boys club" mentality. Managers and upper management please remember you literally work for Hair Club, humble yourselves and treat your staff fairly like real human beings.

5. "Great company to be a part of"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I have been working at Hair Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Long term employees show that it’s a great company

Cons

No cons as of yet

Advice to Management

None so far

26 Jan 2019 – President & COO

Welcome to the Company! I hope that things get even better for you! I'd love to hear from you as your career with Hair Club progresses.

"Stylist"

Pros

Free lunches benefits stylist are good team work

Cons

Princess management
    Stinky
    Clients very neg and unhappy
    Little tipping
    Staff always quit
    Man agent speaking another language in with other stylist making you feel like there talking about you
    Favorites
    Slimy sales that just sells to people don’t need hair or ext
    Learn to lie to your clients
    Neg morning meetings
    Over worked
    Juggling 2 or more clients at once
    Over worked
    Under paid starts at
    Work overtime with out notice
    Toxic to the planet and doesn’t care

"Blood suckers"

Current Employee - Stylist in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Stylist in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hair Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients! Helping people feel so good

Cons

Management !sex lies and deceit . Liers!!!! Crabs in a bucket mentality. Smile in your face plot behind each other backs.

Advice to Management

Stop complaining about the wrong things!!! Focus on the customers and support your stylist! The stylist need your help! In a family it should be 50/50 . But at the hair club Houston the center just take take take!!!! If you support your stylist in action more instead of empty words it would be an improvement. But then again when the stylist starts speaking up they are targets. And that’s no good . Every one is afraid of loosing their jobs! All I can say is dig deep and take good care of your own. If not it’s always going to be a Crabs 🦀 in a bucket mentality. Peace and blessings

8 Jan 2019 – President & COO

Sorry you feel this way. It doesn't sound like you're taking any ownership in this situation. I'm sure we can help you if you're willing to be part of the solution.

"Underpaid, under appreciated and overworked"

Pros

That I don’t work there anymore. Before working at hair club, I thought the abuse endured there was normal and this is how work life would be. Since having left, I now work for a corporation that is amazing to their employees. They trust them, they invest in them and they have their back. I now know what it is like to be happy and feel heard and appreciated. I am not writing this as a scorned employee, looking for revenge, I am writing it in hopes that the peers that I loved working with at hair club will soon be able to feel heard and happy in their jobs and I am writing for the people considering applying here. Please, there are so many other places to work. You deserve to be happy at your job and appreciated for what you do. You will not get this at hair club.

Cons

“National meetings” were just a place for corporate men to hook up with lower level women. After being diagnosed with endometriosis, I was at work during a visit from a corporate area manager. I was in extreme pain and he told me I need to “smile more” to him. Even after explaining to him what I was going through, he still told me to try harder to smile while at work. Women are seen as objects who need to dress for men and not for themselves.
    Corporate would perform regular check ups on the centers but it wasn’t to see how people were enjoying their job or to see how things were being run by their terrible managers. It was to make us perform in front of them exactly how we do our job every day to make sure we were following their exact script. One time I was so sick that I didn’t have a voice. I wanted to call out but I knew that if I did, there would be hell to pay so I went in hoping they would notice just how sick I was and tell me to go home but instead they gave me a cough drop and some water and told me to still perform the script WITH NO VOICE. If you call out sick, they never trust that you actually are sick and the managers will voice it to the entire staff. They only care about working you as hard as they can. In the 6 years I worked there I probably called out sick 4 times and each time I was told that I was only sick because I was doing too much on the weekends. Which was not true and none of their business.
    I had the highest numbers in my center and in my region and they knew I was good at my job because they continuously gave me more and more responsibilities. I was a specialist at every solution hair club had to offer, a supervisor and a trainer. With all of this responsibility and exceptional performance, you would think they would incentivize better but instead, they find loopholes on how to not pay you. When I told them I felt as though I had too much responsibility (more than the managers) and that I would like either a raise or to step down, they told me they would not give me a raise and that I could step down and take a pay cut (of over $5/hour) to what the STARTING stylists were making after 6 years of employment. So they basically forced me to stay my position.
    My manager, had me serve her husband with divorce papers on my day off because. If you don’t become buddies with the managers, they will make your life hell and write you up for anything they can find. This manager in particular, picks on people she feels threatened by and she is not an advocate for female empowerment. She was beyond rude to employees that spoke English as a second language. She has been working in this job since high school and it showed. She was the same age as me and would call me “hunny” and talk down to me and every other employee. This manager jumped from job to job all over the country with the company and had several complaints to HR. Their solution was to just keep moving her around instead of realizing she was was the problem. When she moved to our center, over half the staff quit in a year.
    The management keeps notes where they can write whatever they want about their employees but when employees raise concern over management, they are brushed off.
    The managers and area managers have no business managing people. Most of them have been with the company forever and have worked their way up from receptionist positions by making friends but not by being qualified. Most of them don’t have a college degree or previous experience.
    They give dress codes to the stylists but not to anyone else. They want sales people to dress “sexy” because that is what they think sells. We had an amazing sales person with great numbers who sold with love and compassion. Her clients loved her but she was constantly being reprimanded because her hair wasn’t curled to the managers liking.
    Yes, there are a lot of females that work there but that is because it is the hair and beauty industry which tends to be a female dominated field. It does not mean that the females are treated as well as the males or that they have the same opportunities. I saw less qualified males gets jobs in corporate over females, constantly.

Advice to Management

In all of the poor feedback reviews, the upper management response is that the employee is the problem and the feedback is inaccurate. If this doesn’t tell you everything you need to know about how employees are treated like they are the problem and their opinions don’t matter then I don’t know what will. It’s obvious that they don’t really know what’s going on in their centers. They sit in the offices and do the least possible to make a happy work place. The way they are managing Glassdoor is exactly the way they manage the company. They praise their pets that they incentivize to post nice things about the company on here and they discredit Anyone that points out a challenge. I actually wrote the the CEO before leaving the company because in some of the responses it says to reach out to him personally to discuss any challenges. It did nothing but get me in trouble with my area manager for not going to him first (even though I had gone to him with no success - again, uneducated man that just told me I was the problem)
    Good luck.

26 Jan 2019 – President & COO

I think its truly admirable that you care enough for our current and potential employees to write this review. I would hope that anyone that reads it will be able to sift through your feedback and... More

"NB1 stylist"

Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Hair Club (More than a year)

Pros

Great training. National trainer should have more of a leadership role. Decent benefits for industry standard.

Cons

Poor management, disorganized, toxic work environment, lack of support, too much overtime, unhappy clients due to administers and slimey sales personnel.

Advice to Management

Regional manager was unprofessional and rude. He wrongfully terminated many staff members because of his own misconduct.

14 Jan 2019 – President & COO

Thank you for the feedback. Please reach out when you have an opportunity. I'd appreciate the opportunity to hear from you directly. 561.361.7600 or you can email me at mnassar@hcfm.com

"Disappointing job"

Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Hair Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good hours

Cons

Gross, dirty job. Terrible upper management, low paying (15/hr for stylists plus tips which aren’t guaranteed and commissions that they can take away from you). You essentially glue hair to people’s heads and remove it monthly to clean it.. it it is so nasty and smells worse than you can imagine. The people who make money at hair club are the image consultants who lie to people to get them to spend thousands on wearing hair. The stylists are treated as less-than and make substantially less even tho it requires you to be highly skilled and professional.

Advice to Management

Yammer is a stupid waste of time. Stylists should make much more, at least 20/hour. Image consultants should make less.

8 Jan 2019 – President & COO

Sorry you were disappointed. Good luck to you.