Hanover Research Reviews

Updated 6 May 2021

3.5
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens
Pros
  • "Free snacks, coffee, happy hours/Christmas party(in 19 reviews)

• "I started at the entry-level and worked my way up receiving several promotions over the years(in 16 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Ballston, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

The updated bonus compensation plan for Development Associates is highly motivating. The health benefits for Hanover employees are fantastic, as well.

Cons

The Development Associate job itself can be a bit of a grind, but you can manage it by finding your personal workflow and trading outreach strategies with colleagues.

2. "Too small"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England, England

I worked at Hanover Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work and good clients

Cons

Very small, when I was there it was mainly men

3. "Do Not Work Here"

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

I worked for Hanover in different roles and feel like I received insight into the various positions. This company loves to take advantage of young college graduates who are eager for a job. I hope this review is comprehensive and proves to be a cautionary tale for those who join. On the sales side, particularly in the Corporate area, Hanover pushes a competitive culture that has led to burnout, high-turnover, and a hostile work environment. If you are looking at a sales position do not be misled: you will be phone banking between 8:30-5:30 every single day. For the few sales associates that do well (and keep in mind your success is directly linked to who your managers are and what team you are placed), they are able to move up the ladder. On the research side, there are a few directors who are well-qualified and I have no idea how they ended up working at Hanover. There are some interesting projects and you will be able to learn about a diverse group of companies. In order to keep costs low, research associates are saddled with several projects at once and work long hours. Again, 90% of your experience and your ability to move through the ranks will be determined by who you work for. Due to this culture, what you end up with at Hanover is a mix at the top of well-qualified, mature professionals and younger men who progressed quickly through the ranks and as a result do not know how to manage those below them and care only about themselves. Another thing I never understood was while Hanover promotes a "fixed-fee" model to their clients, they continue to aggressively upsell. You are so much better working at Gartner.

Cons

Culture wise: When we were back in the office, there was free food but no free chicken nuggets could compensate for the hostile culture and unorganized environment.

Continue reading
  4. "Good place to work, some improvements needed"

Current Employee - Senior Director
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management, benefits, opportunities for growth

Cons

Staffing tends to lag behind growth/recovery, creating strains in researcher and client manager workloads.

April 15, 2021Manager, Talent Acquisition and Retention

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We are finding talent and filling roles as quickly as we can with the resources we currently have. We are always open to feedback and would like to hear more about your experience. Please email us at peoplesupport@hanoverresearch.com with any additional information. -The People Team

5. "Hard sales"

Former Employee - Business Development Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Fun team and get to travel modestly, good sales training

Cons

Hard selling a product that you think doesn't make sense

6. COVID-19

"Good remote work options, good people, intense workload"

Current Employee - Content Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have many telework or flexible work options, even pre-COVID. I work on one of the smaller Content teams on which there is a great deal of collegiality and a good team environment.

Cons

The work is intense at times, especially in a client-facing role like Content Director, and upper management is increasingly disconnected from the day-to-day lives of their employees and can be a bit tone deaf. Once you get to CD level there are virtually no opportunities for advancement. There is a lot of talk about diversity and inclusion but leadership is overwhelmingly male and white.

Continue reading
  7. "Great opportunity to learn under pressure"

Former Employee - Director, Client Solutions

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Get to work closely with content teams to understand research process and project development.

Cons

At the time, an insular leadership team

April 6, 2021Manager, Talent Acquisition and Retention

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed being a part of Hanover Research. We are always open to feedback and would like to learn more about your experience. Please email us at peoplesupport@hanoverresearch.com with any additional information. -The People Team

8. "Great Place"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate (BDA)

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Really young and friendly working environment that’s committed to making everyone feel great at work.

Cons

Some ambiguity with management and C-Suite

April 6, 2021Manager, Talent Acquisition and Retention

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed being a part of Hanover Research and appreciate your review. While we pride ourselves in being a transparent organization, we are always open to feedback would like to learn more about your experience. Please email us at peoplesupport@hanoverresearch.com with any additional information. -The People Team

9. "Research"

5.0
    Former Employee - Surveyor

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

It’s a Good and supportive team

Cons

Lot of time spent in front of screen

March 15, 2021Manager, Talent Acquisition and Retention

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed being a part of Hanover Research and appreciate your review. -The People Team

10. "Good job in Account Management, small base pay"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Account Management in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In control of your own accounts. Not too frequent travel to locations within the U.S. Decent Commissions

Cons

Alternative business model (subscription) to industry-standard practice (contract work) can hamper sales. Wearing two hats: Account Manager and Research Director. Subscription renewals for your accounts are often at the mercy of the research team over which you have little control.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 203 Reviews