Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 Oct 2019

3.4
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens
Pros
  • "They go overboard with parties, happy hours, snacks, and events(in 18 reviews)

• "support system in place for entry level employees(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Leadership is inexperienced and has no concept of professional development-fair promotion is nonexistent(in 15 reviews)

• "Felt dispensable as a mid-level researcher(in 14 reviews)

1. "bin man"

Former Employee - Bin Man in Lincoln, England

I worked at Hanover Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good money get to finis early and the pay is good and i like my job it is good

Cons

smells really bad all the time i think my nose might be broken and i also have to wash my clothes twice a week

Advice to Management

pay me more and i would also like more holidays in Jamaica and maybe a company car

Hanover Research2016-07-17
  2. "After reflecting for a while..."

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

See the cons below to put the pros into context: -I was able to work with difficult managers by playing to my strength as an adaptable person. My directors were selfish with their time and although they had been associates previously, seemed to forget the boundaries of the job description and the challenges, and that I was asking to brainstorm with them, not for their "help" with my job. -Hanover believes in... baptism by fire. In my next job, I picked up on skills and people-reading quickly. -Upward management - see con below. The only good that came of this was that in my next job, I am more ambitious and a go-getter in terms of projects and team leading. -Asking questions - My next position is way more client-based. When they come to me with a question or project, I know to probe and ask why they are asking, what the end game is, what kind of product (powerpoint, excel, word doc, timeline, etc.) they are looking for to enhance their understanding of the issue -Mentors - this was the best part of Hanover. I only wish I had met these amazing, wonderful people outside of the fire and fury that is Hanover. Besides the selfish management people, fellow Associates are on the same page, are understanding, and so welcoming. As transient as Hanover and sales can be, you can count on the Associates to not treat you as just the next new Associate, but rather as a friend and part of the family. -I would only recommend Hanover if it is a stepping stone for you, if you put a time limit on it for yourself. It gives you a light at the end of the tunnel, $ to pay the bills, and the opportunity to make real friends.

Cons

My time at Hanover was tumultuous, to put it politely. I can only speak to the sales team, given my former role. I am mostly referring to a senior level manager, who I will refer to as X. Within the first few months of my start date, people were fired all at once with no explanation, and someone else who had been promoted to one team who had come from the other side of the company was told that there were no more... B2B/B2C Director positions open, only to find that the company had actually hired 2-3 new people for that position and put him on a team he was not passionate about. Therein started Hanover's hypocritical, we want our cake and want to eat it too mentality: -Hanover's management tells you that positions are filled "by need," and then punish DDs and DAs when they do not succeed in a field that they are obviously not a good fit for. In many cases, instead of switching them to try out a different field, after MONTHS and $ spent on training, these people are fired. -X gave the go-ahead to the recruitment team to advertise that positive and exceptional performance will be rewarded with the merit-based promotion system. But, it's impossible to prove yourself when all of the unique leads and extra projects go to just one person (whether it is a DD or an DA) on the team, and everyone else is left with heavily-penetrated territories. Not only this, but the company's structure has since closed at the top, leaving fewer positions for upward movement. So you can imagine the excitement when these positions opened up because senior level DA decided to move on. But instead of interviewing for these positions, or even admitting that the position would no longer be needed, or opening up a discussion to allow the Associates to voice exactly why that senior level colleague leaving reveals a knowledge/mentorship vacuum on the team, there was radio silence. -In weekly meetings that are meant to be with the training and development team, Associates talk about sales goals and pacing. But when X attends, there is a tangible awkwardness in the room because everyone feels like they can't talk about their performance for fear of it sounding like excuses. After a while, it's frustrating that concerns about state education policies which affect territory strategies fall on deaf ears, and unique ideas to improve Hanover's presence in other states are tossed aside ruthlessly and frankly, rudely when we come to management with these ideas. -While X tried to be more "available," these meetings were severely awkward, at best. The same questions would be asked i.e. "what do you guys want to learn or talk about?" and never actually followed up on talking about fun topics even when they were suggested. X should be less calculating about connecting with his/her team. Don't sit in meetings meant to be between other people, because obviously the dynamic and conversation change with X in the room. Instead, I would urge you to show up when it's someone's birthday (put it on your calendar!), when someone closes a deal (X didn't even bother to show up when a DD closed his/her first deal in a territory where we previously had ZERO clients), when DAs are sitting in the kitchen having lunch or writing emails together or brainstorming, and to company-sponsored happy hours. In the years that I was at Hanover, X only showed up to ONE team gathering, and even then only for 20 minutes. There is an overall sense among the DAs that you haven't made yourself approachable, relateable, trustworthy, or reliable as a person, manager, or friend in our small office space. -After reflection, I find that X is probably a product of a Hanover-wide, institutional issue. Hanover's senior-level managers have mostly only ever known Hanover. X prides him/herself on being here so long and seeing the practice grow from the very beginning of its founding, but lack of experience at any other workspace with no real managerial experience breeds managers who frankly cannot manage. Hanover has an "upward management" policy which is great to learn, as long as this learning experience is deliberately made. X should encourage DAs to take initiative and be creative, but not make this the basis of all DA/DD/MD relationships. DAs are just out of college for the most part, and it's difficult to navigate these relationships already. Hanover does not cultivate an environment of understanding, and Associates who do not know to upward manage (you don't know what you don't know) are thought of as doing the bare minimum to get by. These last three events were what caused me to leave the company: -I was put on a performance plan after experiencing a death in my immediate family. Actually, it was in the same meeting I told my DD and X that it had happened, that I was a bit in shock, and that I would need to leave immediately to be with my family. I kid you not, they both completely ignored what I said, told me they were disappointed in my performance, and gave me two weeks to "get it together" AKA schedule a certain amount of meetings or I would be fired. I cancelled my bereavement leave, was unable to attend the funeral, and could not be with my family. Neither X nor my Director ever followed up. By the way, this was also during the holidays, when it was hardest to be away from family, and when none of our prospects were even available to take meetings. And I was far from being the only one to miss goal, and I did NOT have a pattern of missing goal. So this performance plan was out of the blue and unnecessary. But they lead with fear and instilled that in me, much to my regret. -A colleague who had a health issue that she was managing was told she could not be eating lunch in the kitchen since her performance was suffering (for a variety of reasons that could not only be attributed to lack of trying). This is in fact, illegal. But there was never any recourse against the person who told my colleague this. -There have also been times my colleagues have been subjected to verbal abuse by one of the MDs. He/she has reported this to the appropriate channels, with no signs of recourse by the company. -I knew Hanover was struggling with retention, particularly on the team I was on, but when I learned that retention, rather than recruitment, was a goal of the HR team, I was pleased. Within weeks of declaring this, however, both the senior talent manager and the chief of human resources stepped down. So it was time for me to leave too.

Advice to Management

X - be LESS deliberate and calculating with your "team" events, and just be present with your team. Be one of them. Show up to team events, stay for more than 20 minutes, and at least try to get to know people as you try to get to know your clients. If you want to hold weekly meetings, maybe have everyone write down a topic idea on a piece of paper and pick one out of a hat. Just to spice things up and keep everyone... interested. This will likely also help you to identify when people are truly suffering from depression, frustration, hopelessness, anxiety, and everything else I have personally witnessed, and sometimes gone through myself during my time at the company. You have no idea who is experiencing financial hardship, death, and other struggles - and you see us every day. After all, in the end, I can only say to people that you care about the clients as much as you care about your own team: which is zero. Stop leading by fear, because it has quickly turned into resentment and disappointment, all directed at you.

Hanover Research2019-10-13

"Poorly managed and clueless superiors"

Former Employee - Qualitative Researcher in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice location compared to the old one

Cons

There's a reason why Hanover has such high turnover rates, and it's not because DC is a transient city. The superiors have no clue what they're doing, receive no training, and don't know how to manage projects. They don't like to be corrected or told they're wrong, too. I moved from one team to another and this problem was still there. If you need this job, I highly suggest you don't say anything if you are working... overtime or if you're burnt out. They use it against you. Don't be honest in your check-ins, they're not on your side. Just take the job and start looking for something new around 6 months in. You also only get a raise if they like you, the superiors are really unhappy with their lives so if they mess up a project and blame it on you or they contradict themselves, don't go toe to toe with them. Just say thanks for letting me, I'll try harder next time and let it go. Also HR is not on your side so don't go to them for help. If you take this job get in and get out. Trust no one. Also companies can make fake reviews on here so look for the positive reviews on here, remember what they say, and watch how they don't match up with your experience at Hanover.

Advice to Management

Don't throw people into positions without giving them proper training. Don't act like everything is going well even though you know no one is happy. Teach people to lead a team.

Hanover Research2019-10-05

"not good"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Hanover Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty good pay for starting-level.

Cons

Not a good place to work. Bad management.

Hanover Research2019-09-12

"Growing Market Research Firm"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great atmosphere, flexible schedule, understanding management, intelligent co-workers, talent is rewarded greatly.

Cons

Inexperienced upper management, growing pains

Hanover Research2019-08-02

September 5, 2019CHRO

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We'd love to hear more of your ideas about improving the upper management experience ranks so please feel free to reach out to our Chief Content Officer directly.

"Good if no other options"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Good benefits, remote work flexibility, nice coworkers; a launching pad for a career as an analyst/consultant if you want to gain client-facing work experience

Cons

Poor compensation: Hanover pays below industry average and does not give cost of living adjustment raises. My salary was stagnant for two of the years I worked there. Incompetent leadership: This was my biggest pain point. Managers do not clearly communicate expectations and then penalize researchers for not following whatever rule they did not iterate. It contributes to widespread frustration and low employee... morale. A lot of managers are also very condescending. I would say that second to salary, this is the most common reason employees leave and why there is high turnover. I would also add micromanagement, though I suspect this might be to justify the lack of salary raises (see above). I’ve had accomplishments – such as my reports leading to client renewals and my advice implemented – completely overlooked in performance reviews, and so-called issues like being too quiet in meetings dramatized as major performance issues and reasons to deny raises. Little to no opportunities for advancement: My manager looked down on my desire to learn other research methodologies in addition to the one I worked in, and I wasn’t given any substantial opportunities to learn more.

Advice to Management

I think Hanover’s HR team is taking the right steps to advance Hanover’s overall company culture, but have a lot of leftover incompetent leadership from the company’s earlier days. Please investigate the research team’s leadership and provide some much-needed management training (especially implicit bias training). Also, raise your salaries to be competitive and provide cost of living adjustments.

Hanover Research2019-08-18

September 16, 2019Chief Content Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to read that you felt that your compensation and manager experiences didn’t meet your expectations. We’re upfront with all applicants about the salary bands for various roles when they join Hanover. We hire exceptional talent, train them well, give them more exposure to client interactions and advanced research methodologies faster than other firms, and they have the opportunity to advance faster at Hanover than anywhere else. We pride ourselves in being a meritocracy; the vast majority of our employees receive merit-based raises annually, usually a lot more than a cost-of-living adjustment. We take management and advancement of our talented employees very seriously; it doesn't advance our business interests at all to not reward those that are adding value to client experiences. While it appears that your Hanover experience didn't quite work out for you, we hope we were able to contribute to your professional development and wish you the very best for your future endeavors.

"Good opportunity for college grad transition into the job market"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard and honest work with lots of hands on learning opportunities.

Cons

Project work gets repetitive over time and limited professional development opportunities

Hanover Research2019-07-23

August 7, 2019CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your time at Hanover. It is true that after a few years the project cycle can become repetitive for some teams. We are trying to introduce more rotation opportunities for staff internally to gain a different perspective and learn different skills.

"No place for real professionals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Proximity to metro and good food trucks A handful of friendly colleagues

Cons

This place makes no sense for experienced professionals. The environment is myopic, short sighted and incredibly biased. Leadership is inexperienced and has no concept of professional development-fair promotion is nonexistent. The favorites are fed deals and are allowed to game the system, and everyone else has to make the best of a terrible territory. The market research is a joke, perfect for an unsophisticated... buyer. If you’re 22, right out of college, need to get out of your parents house, and no one else will hire you, give this place a try. Other than that, run far far away and don’t believe anything the recruiters tell you. Unless you’re interested in wasting your time and talents with zero professional growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire young inexperienced people and hope the free snacks and beer are enough to keep them. Stop trying to swim in the big boy pool- you lack what it takes to cultivate experienced professionals.

Hanover Research2019-08-12
  9. "Experience"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company with great teammates.

Cons

Leadership problems with management team.

Hanover Research2019-07-26

"Good Launching Pad for Analysts/Entry-Level, Beware to Experienced Candidates"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Let me start by saying that I valued my three years at Hanover, primarily the relationships established with both co-workers, as well as clients, which have continued beyond the job. For those who are fresh out of college or still new to the market research industry, Hanover is an adequate launching career launching pad, where you will get exposure to various tools and methodologies as well as a variety of clients... who operate across a myriad of industries or academia depending on the coverage area you are looking at (corporate or education research). For those who are coming in as experienced hires, the pros are fewer to none depending on where you’re coming from. However, it may be an optimal change of scenery if you are coming from a separate industry or a specific vertical-focused role, and are looking to pivot your career deeper into market research with Hanover acting as your pit-stop. Given this, I am still recommending and referring those looking to start or change their career path, but am hesitant to do so for those looking to further their career in market research.

Cons

On the other hand, there are quite a few areas of concern and red flags at Hanover that you should be aware of before taking that interview or accepting an offer (especially if you are an experienced hire, and even more so if you are coming from another market research firm): 1. Culture – As others have mentioned, the people support is lacking, and this results in an overall "cog-the-wheel mentality" among a lot of... people. HR seems to be more concerned about replying to Glassdoor reviews than engaging with employees on the lower floors i.e. it’s common to never see someone from HR proactively engage between your first week and your exit interview. Furthermore, internal politics are noticeable, with many recent promotions & role changes across departments where no internal interview rounds are done resulting in people being overlooked who are more qualified. Favoritism also rears its head in an organizational manner, where at times it’s perceived that sales/revenue is held in a higher regard. Last, Hanover likes to call itself an AMA Top 50 MR firm as has been noted from their replies here, however, be aware this list is purely based on reported revenue as the company does not have an organizational membership with any of the leading industry associations, let alone a presence in the industry (which has resulted in misconceptions & brand confusion). 2. Leadership – A majority of the upper management do not have backgrounds or education in market research and/or they have been at Hanover the majority of their career which leads to a very myopic view of the industry at large (since the company as a whole is not engaged in the industry). For experienced hires coming from other market research firms, this should come as a glaring red flag and is something I regret not doing my homework on. Not only this, but the upper management team tends to ignore or write-off feedback from those not directly below them and insulates themselves from the actual people who are on the frontlines. A perfect example is right here on Glassdoor, where the Chief Content Officer replied, “I must confess to being baffled by some of the issues you mention.” Vision from leadership also tends to change as frequently as the organizational structure, and is not always clear; this can also be said in how this translates into the products and services being developed, which can be DOA given those developing the products are not experienced in the industry or with the types of clients they are developing the products for (and disregard feedback from those who have experience in these exact initiatives). 3. Benefits – While the healthcare benefits are on par with other consulting or market research firms of similar size, the 401(k) is severely lacking not only it’s matching (2%), but also in the overall fund portfolio diversity. You’ll get better returns from an IRA, independent index-fund, or high-yield savings account outside of Hanover. Bonus potential wise, continued reforms to payout less are on a downward trajectory for those on the research side compared to those in sales/revenue, and at times do not align with industry standard bonus structures for researchers, so be prepared to depend more on your base salary. Raises in comp typically only come with promotions, and for those coming in as an experienced hire, you could end up waiting 2-3+ years to only see a raise that is equivalent to a COLA bump. 4. Professional Development – While Hanover has made improvements in this area (creating more focused L&D modules and pathways for analysts/entry-level), they still have a long way to go, especially for experienced hires who have mastered many of the tools and methodologies involved with the work. Currently there isn’t much for experienced hires, as Hanover is typically hesitant to invest in higher cost development that comes with experienced professionals i.e. industry conferences, skilled training in advanced methodologies from outside sources (there is no education reimbursement like many other firms), etc.

Advice to Management

Advice to Job Seekers: Take heed in my words and the words of others here on Glassdoor. Reach out to current and former employees of Hanover, and really get a grasp on the scope of the role you are applying to or looking to take on. Hanover is not for everyone as some have said, but there is definitely those who excel at Hanover, and use it to launch their careers further or further discover where they want to go on... their career journey. There's a reason Hanover alum can be found at many a good company, non-profit or in government/academia. Advice to Hanover: Acknowledge your faults and work on improving them for the sake of your employees and the firm itself. Hanover has potential, but if it does not address the honest feedback here and from others, it will flounder compared to other firms who are taking these issues more seriously (and as a result, acquire the better talent).

Hanover Research2019-06-19