Harlem Village Academies Reviews

Updated 9 Sep 2020

3.6
Harlem Village Academies CEO Deborah Kenny (no image)
Deborah Kenny
Pros
  • "One of HVA values is Community- both for our students and staff(in 17 reviews)

• "HVA goes out if it's way to serve and support students and families(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard work and long hours but worth it(in 20 reviews)

• "HVA West 3-5 moved into a new building that is less appealing (& much smaller) than the old building(in 13 reviews)

1. "fufdod sjfdofjsd[a[ ;akfdpaf[ d"

Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Harlem Village Academies full-time

Pros

You have a job that pays well

Cons

You will get worked to the bone

2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Harlem Village Academies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Extremely talented, hardworking staff and rewarding work.

Cons

Hard work and long hours but worth it.

3. "Freedom and support!"

I worked at Harlem Village Academies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is definitely a place that requires people to work hard and be dedicated to the mission of supporting all of our students in reaching their full potential. As someone who worked here for many years, I'm proud to say that I can clearly see the legacy that I am leaving behind. The main reason I stayed for so long is because I was afforded the flexibility and autonomy to create while also receiving the resources to do so. The organization is still working toward making sure that the systems in place are ones of support and not of oppression and I am excited that leadership has already asked teachers and staff to be part of that necessary change work. Not a lot of charter schools provide that level of freedom AND support!

Cons

More documentation and systems would be helpful with the onboarding process. I was very instrumental in the onboarding of my successor.

4. "They're trying"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Harlem Village Academies full-time

Pros

Trying to do something different in charters.

Cons

This is hard work and it shows.

5. "Great Community To Work In"

Current Employee - Educator

I have been working at Harlem Village Academies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of HVA values is Community- both for our students and staff. During remote learning, I experienced a greater appreciation of this in our high school community. I have never written one of these reviews before, but I felt compelled to do so after this experience. Spending time speaking to many colleagues at different schools both charters and others, validated these feelings. Our leadership worked quickly to set a program and structure, so students and staff had technology and a work plan to begin teaching nearly immediately. Our students and families were supported in amazing ways. The student support team checked in with teachers, parents, and staff every day to do their best to understand what families needed in order to support them. We had a daily staff meeting on zoom at 8:00am. Every teacher and leader met. This gave us the space to either, learn about some additional supports created as a result of some system need, student need, or just a place to appreciate one another or laugh (we even had a weekly staff zoom activity after hours). It was hard and messy but looking back, I am so appreciative to work in a school where teachers and leaders can be honest and open about what is difficult and work together to figure out how to develop strategies and systems to support our students and their families during this most difficult and unstable time- and still enjoy each other enough to gather remotely after hours. While I cannot wait to get back to our school (after a much-needed summer break), I know if we have to do this remote learning again, our school will be ready.

Cons

The hours are long and the work is hard- like any other good school - there are growth areas but the leadership is committed to the work.

6. "Great Students but terrible rotating leaders throughout the school year"

2.0
    Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Harlem Village Academies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Create Curriculum 2-3 Periods off Daily Great Students Limitless Supplies for Instruction

Cons

Lack of Coaching Inexperienced Leaders Systematic Racist Policies Lack of Opportunities for Growth

Continue reading
  7. "A great place to learn"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Harlem Village Academies full-time

Pros

Great professional development, strong compensation, and very good leadership. Lots of vacation time! HVA is one of the only networks that had students doing hours of live remote learning a day.

Cons

The hours are long and the work is hard

"Deborah Kenny is a white savior"

2.0
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School

I worked at Harlem Village Academies full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some great educators

Cons

Deborah Kenny is a white savior who has no actual experience working in education and pays herself over $700,000. The only time she interacts with HVA students is for a photo op (just look at the cover of her book "Born To Rise"). She makes almost fourteen times as much as teachers who are doing all the real work, the hard work, that lands her in the press so often and helps her send her own kids to tony private schools. Social clicks are evident from day 1 of training. Condescending administration that literally yells at students and allows other teachers to yell and degrade students. Administration instills fear in students by making examples of a classmate in front of whole class.

Continue reading
  9. "Progressive teaching and room for growth"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Harlem Village Academies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great school leaders and talented colleagues

Cons

High turnover of teachers and staff

10. "Harlem Village Academies Upper West Elem"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at Harlem Village Academies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Out of all the charter schools I’ve been at, there seems to be a balance with teacher autonomy and streamlining certain practices per your subject area. -Solid academic curriculum provided, and I feel that I’ve been given the ability to tweak and revise to best support my kids-there isn’t a heavy stress on being entirely glued to a script-I feel organic but still able to hit all major points in my lesson. -I can morph lessons to make it my own, as long as I’m staying in line and on pacing with my grade team subject area-which believe it or not is really helpful to have that communication. -Winter/Holiday bonus -6 Saturdays worked and paid $1000 stipend -2 hours of prep time during the day(I rarely stay after unless I’m choosing to do something extra)

Cons

-Hours are a bit too long -Turn around time to submit data for IA’s and other scanned tests is sometimes hard to make-especially when you are grading them right after kids take it. -Given instructional material that we are suppose to find time to teach and assess on, for example, spelling and grammar-there is no true time devoted to that area and the kids need it. -More balance of rigorous educational prep and just allowing them to be more explorative with project based learning. -For ELA, more culturally relevant literature that is appropriate and sensitive to different backgrounds-sometimes our texts have a very bias approach that leans towards history and events being told through a very narrow lense-and they need more books that represent our students.

Found 103 reviews