Harvard Business Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 November 2018

3.1
David Wan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great place to work, it has been more than 3 years working here, good work life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Good benefits, most of the people were nice, free parking" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Despite having excellent direct and fringe benefits, the total comp including base salary was disappointing year after year" (in 3 reviews)

• "The only cons is my department has too many meetings" (in 3 reviews)

"Fine I guess if you like being miserable."

Former Employee - Technical Customer Service Representative in Brighton, MA (US)

I worked at Harvard Business Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Parking
    Decent Area
    Close to the T

Cons

Management and upper management don’t really care about you—especially considering in this position you’re nothing more than a punching bag for displeased customers.

"a bit disillusioning"

I worked at Harvard Business Publishing full-time

Pros

I loved working there for the first several years. I felt my work was really helping to make workplaces better.

Cons

Management was a mess. Strategy was always a moving target; sometimes it felt as if they were changing things just for the heck of it. After I was put into a new position without being asked about it, I left.

Advice to Management

walk the management talk.

"Toxic culture and incompetent management"

I worked at Harvard Business Publishing full-time

Pros

- The benefit package is positive

Cons

- A toxic environment: The culture is one where employees are generally focused on cruising, protecting themselves and not taking risks to innovate/improve the business. The culture is a high school clique at times.
    - Inept management: Some sr managers have been promoted simply because they have been at the company for years, but they may lack basic professionalism and management/leadership skills.

Advice to Management

Look closer at those you have promoted. Some managers are dead weight and ride other managers or employees who make them look good, while offering few positives to the business.

"A Solid Company Growing In New Ways"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Brighton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Brighton, MA (US)

I have been working at Harvard Business Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management understands that the wellbeing of employees and performance of The Company go hand-in-hand.

Different departments can readily collaborate when needed. For some problems that is the only way to get things done and MUCH APPRECIATED.

The Harvard affiliation means great access to athletic facilities, and they pay for MBTA cards. Being part of Harvard can mean savings in insurance as well.

Cons

Organizational changes can at times be disorienting.

The Company has a unique problem in being a producer of management literature. They have terrific authors but do not have the time to incorporate all the great advice they publish themselves.

What is hierarchical and what is flat in the departments is not always clear.

Advice to Management

Keep up the upbeat atmosphere, it makes coming into work on Monday a pleasant prospect.

Make tracking of annual goals clearer throughout the year.

"Walk the Walk at HBP Corporate Learning"

I worked at Harvard Business Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand name; mostly great colleagues; decent pay and benefits

Cons

Senior management absolutely loves themselves - they talk the talk of "we want to hear what you have to say", but essentially they do all the decision making behind closed doors and then make "the big announcements". If they taught it this way to clients, there'd be no business - they need to walk the walk.

When you leave, expect senior management to pretend you never existed - all touchy feely until you leave for a career elsewhere, and then you basically never existed.

Very limited career growth opportunities, unless you pal up with senior management.

Advice to Management

Spend some time practicing internally what you preach to clients.

6. "Senior Product Manager"

I have been working at Harvard Business Publishing full-time

Pros

Friendly culture
    Work life balance
    Good management

Cons

Delay in decision making like any big mnc

7. "AdSales Intern"

I worked at Harvard Business Publishing part-time

Pros

I learned so much during such a short period of time. They offer educational seminars to all interns along with unlimited access to all HBP content for the whole summer. The culture of the company was incredibly accepting of my questions and overall presence as I shadowed and worked throughout HBP. 10/10 would recommend.

Cons

The other interns took a little warming up to, but by the end of the summer, we became much closer.

8. "Nice place to work"

Pros

Colleagues are very kind and nice. Lots of events and activities.

Cons

The only cons is my department has too many meetings.

9. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Harvard Business Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

hard to say anything negative from my side.

"Good company, limited room for growth"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Brighton, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Brighton, MA (US)

I have been working at Harvard Business Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits/bonus structure - Same health/retirement benefits as other parts of Harvard but since it's a corporation there is an annual performance based bonus
    Non-toxic work environment - Been with the company many years and everyone gets along great
    Good work/life balance - No one expects you to work beyond 5pm. Half days on Fridays during the summer.

Cons

Limited room to grow on smaller teams - You can get stuck in a position and just stay there for 20+ years
    Pay below average - Compared to for-profit companies pay is low
    Suffocating amount of management - For the small size of teams there are a lot of managers, too many meetings to decide everything so decisions are slow
    Open floor plan - there is a lot of unused space but everyone is grouped together in these small low-walled cubicles.