Harvey Nichols Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
Daniela Rinaldi and Manju Malhotra

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Thrown in at the deep end on first day - no training on a busy Saturday" (in 5 reviews)

• "Little if any room for career progression, commission is 0" (in 4 reviews)

1. "review"

Pros

People and product are high quality

Cons

disconnect between stores and head office

3 Oct 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for leaving us your feedback! We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience with us. We are always looking to improve ourselves and would therefore really appreciate your... More

2. "Style Advisor"

Pros

There is good staff discount overall

Cons

No holidays allowed during sales period

6 Dec 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We are happy that you have enjoyed your time with us and wish you all the best for the future!

3. "Bartender"

Former Employee - Bartender in Seafield, Scotland
    Former Employee - Bartender in Seafield, Scotland

I worked at Harvey Nichols (More than a year)

Pros

Some good benefits, mostly friendly staff and team

Cons

No feeling of belonging, feel like a number on a screen, no voice, very strict feels like being back in school

Advice to Management

Listen to staff instead of thinking you are always correct, don't be so dismissive

6 Dec 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Your review helps us to become a better company.

We are sorry to hear that your journey with us has not been what you expected - this is... More

"Full Review of All Departments at the Manchester Store"

Pros

Menswear Department -
    Good management and very well organised. Floor staff aren’t horrible and will tend to help each other out because they’re all actually trained up properly according to procedure. Very popular department so prepare for busy days. Customers are either wealthy drug dealers with ten girlfriends or stuck up businessmen. Frequented by Jesse Lingard and Manchester City.

Foodmarket Department -
    Management are unapproachable and don’t like to be asked questions. They seem to think all questions are stupid. Staff are likeable and easy to get on with, however. Wine shop is probably the most interesting part if that’s your interest.

Maintenance Department -
    Don’t always do their jobs the first time when they’re asked, but very friendly people and easy to talk to.

Beauty Department -
    So-so department with the highest staff turnover. There are so many concession brands in this department that all the staff are cliquey and divide themselves into groups. There are four managers, one of which overreacts massively to minor issues, and another doesn’t care much at all. The staff themselves are almost exclusively pretty young girls and so you’re bound to get a few judgemental looks and some talking behind backs. About half are nice and half are judgemental, but some of the more capable colleagues will support you if you do have problems.

Stock Movement -
    Quite a laid back department that deal with outgoing and incoming stock. One of the managers has a foul attitude, is rude and seems to want to ruin everyone’s day, every day. Staff are nice but take their time doing their jobs, and any questions or issues you might have probably won’t be addressed. Feels very every-man-for-himself.

Cons

Womenswear Department -
    Managers are terrible at their jobs and will cut corners in training their staff, often passing new staff members between managers for their training without any communication as to what needs to be taught, so prepare to teach yourself what you need to know for the job. Managers also engage in intimidating behaviour to floor staff and never follow official procedure. Customers are the rudest on this department by far, and the management won’t help you deal with them. Do not work for this department if you’re considering it, unless you already have friends on the inside.

Accessories Department -
    Managers are absolute bullies with the rudest attitudes and don’t believe in procedure. Staff are essentially left to run the department themselves because the two department managers like to sit in the back office doing nothing and act like it’s an inconvenience when they’re asked to do anything. Don’t apply for this department unless you actively enjoy being made to feel small and stupid.

Human Resources -
    Joke of a department. Staff hardly know how to do their jobs and as such you’ll probably be underpaid for the entirety of your contract, and if you bring that up they won’t be able to see where they went wrong because they don’t even understand it. More interested in talking about Love Island than helping out with queries. Don’t work for them unless your idea of a job is talking about which of your colleagues dresses the worst and reality TV all day.

Hospitality Department (restaurant and bar) -
    Management are never around to provide support to staff, and don’t train them in luxury customer service. You’ll notice the customer reviews for the bar all tend to complain about the speed of service and attitude of staff. This is because none of them care about doing a good job, so expect lots of unhappy customers if you work here.

Advice to Management

Whatever advice I give won’t be listened to by management. Higher management don’t care about the incompetence of most of the department managers.

"Working for HN"

Former Employee - Logistics Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Logistics Assistant in London, England

I worked at Harvey Nichols full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good discount price for clothes, season ticket, good lads, good team

Cons

Full of rubbish managers (from assistant to department man. and sales man.). changes every week. when the whole department was running smoothly they figured out something how they can screw up the whole team.

Advice to Management

let everyone do their job and leave it.

24 Oct 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to add a review. We are sorry you felt so strongly about the team and would be happy to discuss your thoughts in more detail. If you are happy to share more... More

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Floor Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Floor Manager in London, England

I worked at Harvey Nichols full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed yet professional environment, lovely store, experienced and friendly colleagues, beautiful brands & products, excellent discounts and benefits, some scope for progression, senior managers are highly engaging

Cons

You can try to progress and get told you’re valued/ready yet they will hire someone from Harrods or Selfridges over their internal talent. Some more “well established” managers are set in their ways, cliquey and unhelpful. They see new meat as a big threat and it shows-up their inadequacies. Staff canteen generally serves low quality food. Security staff can be quite unprofessional at times; too chattty and flirting with anything that breathes.

Advice to Management

The word of your longstanding managers shouldn’t be gospel. Encourage flexibility and openness.

3 Oct 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for leaving us your feedback! We are very happy to hear that you are have enjoyed your experience with us. We are also glad you have left some suggestions for improvement as this helps us... More

7. "Senior Management are not taking an interest in the Staff Areas !"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in London, England

I have been working at Harvey Nichols full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Store is unlike most other stores - Relaxed atmosphere - pleasant working conditions-

Cons

Toilets are not good - the canteen serves up low quality food - I suspect kept over from day to day.
    Senior Management do not take an interest in the staff areas - they do not visit the staff areas to see what its like.

Advice to Management

Senior Management please visit the staff areas such as the Wash Rooms and Canteen area - its not below your dignity to inspect and take action.

3 Oct 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for leaving us your feedback! We are happy to hear that you are having a positive experience with us and that you are enjoying our store environment. We want to thank you for contributing... More

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bristol, England

I have been working at Harvey Nichols full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount and staff are nice

Cons

Stressful, more work than youre paid for

Advice to Management

Raise pay

3 Oct 2018 – Group Talent Manager

We are sorry to hear that your journey with us has not been what you expected.

Please... More

"Good formation and good experience"

Current Employee - Chef Tournant in London, England
    Current Employee - Chef Tournant in London, England

I have been working at Harvey Nichols full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible job, different kind of cuisine menu change 4 times per year

Cons

Poor salary not frequent opportunity to improve personal career

Advice to Management

Listen much more the team , give more chance to grown in the company

3 Oct 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for leaving us your feedback! We are happy to hear that you are having a positive experience with us and we want to thank you for taking part in keeping our fearless and fabulous company... More

10. "Nasty, unfriendly, bullies"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at Harvey Nichols full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get 30 percent off some stuff

Cons

From my first day here I felt unwanted and uncomfortable. Working on MAC on the beauty floor was pure hell, none of the other beauty stands spoke to me and would look you up and down when you walk in to the back.
    The beauty floor management lin and jo were nasty, bitter, bullies. If they didnt loke you that was it, they would pick at you, if they had an issue they would give you evils and then go and tell a different manager to have a word with you. Absolutely zero class how they went about an issue, they would manage people out if they didnt fit ‘the mould’
    Not one good thing about this place in the end I left with anxiety I was that unhappy, zero support or understanding.

Advice to Management

Lin and jo.. Not everyone will work and think exactly how you want, you should realise there are different types of people and not everyone fits your mould. Smiling doesnt hurt and goes a long way.
    If you are a manager maybe try getting some people skills and learn how to manage and not just complain behind peoples back.
    You are both nasty bullies.