Harvey Nichols Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 February 2019

3.4
Daniela Rinaldi and Manju Malhotra

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is good staff discount overall" (in 14 reviews)

• "Good discount and staff are nice" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Thrown in at the deep end on first day - no training on a busy Saturday" (in 5 reviews)

• "Little if any room for career progression, commission is 0" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company"

I worked at Harvey Nichols full-time

Pros

good work environment
    work incentives

Cons

large teams means progression is difficult

2. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Knightsbridge, England
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Knightsbridge, England

I worked at Harvey Nichols part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount (40% to 60%), Great travel card.

Cons

Repeated situation. Not much room for growth. Horrible upper management.

Advice to Management

The general management is good, as they understand how the customer service works and how to treat their employees. But the upper/ senior management is horrible and out of touch with everything within the company, so their ignorant decision mostly hinder everything yet have to be followed.

3. "Good part time job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Harvey Nichols part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-commission is fab
    -good hours
    -clothing allowance

Cons

-management can be unhelpful and unprofessional
    -old tills that don't work
    -company culture is clique-ish

4. "Great environment to work for"

I have been working at Harvey Nichols full-time

Pros

Fun and exciting environment to work

Cons

Progression is limited to move in to management

Advice to Management

Reward progression in to management and beyond

5. "Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in London, England
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in London, England

I worked at Harvey Nichols full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, Slow pace, low distribution

Cons

Head office location
    Lack of professionalism and structure
    Not forward thinking stuck in the past in regards to management

Advice to Management

Be professional and respect employees.

6. "Style Advisor"

Pros

There is good staff discount overall

Cons

No holidays allowed during sales period

6 Dec 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We are happy that you have enjoyed your time with us and wish you all the best for the future!

7. "Most un-inspirational and un-motivational company for a buyer"

Former Employee - Buying Administrative Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Buying Administrative Assistant in London, England

I worked at Harvey Nichols full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- shop floor visits give a great insight into how customers are reacting to buys
    - good discount
    - HO location in Chiswick
    - 1-6 zone travel card but only after you pass 6 month probation
    - given a free lipgloss when they launched fenty beauty
    - office closes at 7pm so you'll always leave relatively early

Cons

- un-supportive management, lack of training and communication. I was purposefully kept out of the loop with information but expected to know. My line manager would frequently 'working from home' with a plethora of excuses - home problems/train delays/feeling sick (about five times in one month) and wasn't in the business for 4 weeks when I joined the company but insisted I started whilst she was away - waste of time.
    - lack of progression - you'll be doing the job above you for about a year and a half before they even consider promoting you (only when someone leaves). This is exceptionally slow and left me feeling very de-motivated when I was informed during the interview process there's lot's of scope for frequent progression and domestic buying trips
    - lack of support - 3 buying teams with 1 merch team ... everyone is very stretched
    - pay is significantly lower than other retailers for buying roles, a AB role salary was what I was previously on as a BAA.
    - very hierarchical - management are nice on the surface but have their favorites (which to be fair is typical of luxury fashion). The general office vibe is very cliquey and tense.

Advice to Management

- loosen up a little - reward your staff even if you can't promote them
    - stop being so hierarchical and work as a team, stop treating intelligent administrative assistants who are running their own department like they're children and be more inclusive.
    - get a larger head count- 6 month unpaid internships don't count, it just means BAAs have to retrain someone

8. "Bartender"

Former Employee - Bartender in Seafield, Scotland
    Former Employee - Bartender in Seafield, Scotland

I worked at Harvey Nichols (More than a year)

Pros

Some good benefits, mostly friendly staff and team

Cons

No feeling of belonging, feel like a number on a screen, no voice, very strict feels like being back in school

Advice to Management

Listen to staff instead of thinking you are always correct, don't be so dismissive

6 Dec 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Your review helps us to become a better company.

We are sorry to hear that your journey with us has not been what you expected - this is... More

"Full Review of All Departments at the Manchester Store"

Pros

Menswear Department -
    Good management and very well organised. Floor staff aren’t horrible and will tend to help each other out because they’re all actually trained up properly according to procedure. Very popular department so prepare for busy days. Customers are either wealthy drug dealers with ten girlfriends or stuck up businessmen. Frequented by Jesse Lingard and Manchester City.

Foodmarket Department -
    Management are unapproachable and don’t like to be asked questions. They seem to think all questions are stupid. Staff are likeable and easy to get on with, however. Wine shop is probably the most interesting part if that’s your interest.

Maintenance Department -
    Don’t always do their jobs the first time when they’re asked, but very friendly people and easy to talk to.

Beauty Department -
    So-so department with the highest staff turnover. There are so many concession brands in this department that all the staff are cliquey and divide themselves into groups. There are four managers, one of which overreacts massively to minor issues, and another doesn’t care much at all. The staff themselves are almost exclusively pretty young girls and so you’re bound to get a few judgemental looks and some talking behind backs. About half are nice and half are judgemental, but some of the more capable colleagues will support you if you do have problems.

Stock Movement -
    Quite a laid back department that deal with outgoing and incoming stock. One of the managers has a foul attitude, is rude and seems to want to ruin everyone’s day, every day. Staff are nice but take their time doing their jobs, and any questions or issues you might have probably won’t be addressed. Feels very every-man-for-himself.

Cons

Womenswear Department -
    Managers are terrible at their jobs and will cut corners in training their staff, often passing new staff members between managers for their training without any communication as to what needs to be taught, so prepare to teach yourself what you need to know for the job. Managers also engage in intimidating behaviour to floor staff and never follow official procedure. Customers are the rudest on this department by far, and the management won’t help you deal with them. Do not work for this department if you’re considering it, unless you already have friends on the inside.

Accessories Department -
    Managers are absolute bullies with the rudest attitudes and don’t believe in procedure. Staff are essentially left to run the department themselves because the two department managers like to sit in the back office doing nothing and act like it’s an inconvenience when they’re asked to do anything. Don’t apply for this department unless you actively enjoy being made to feel small and stupid.

Human Resources -
    Joke of a department. Staff hardly know how to do their jobs and as such you’ll probably be underpaid for the entirety of your contract, and if you bring that up they won’t be able to see where they went wrong because they don’t even understand it. More interested in talking about Love Island than helping out with queries. Don’t work for them unless your idea of a job is talking about which of your colleagues dresses the worst and reality TV all day.

Hospitality Department (restaurant and bar) -
    Management are never around to provide support to staff, and don’t train them in luxury customer service. You’ll notice the customer reviews for the bar all tend to complain about the speed of service and attitude of staff. This is because none of them care about doing a good job, so expect lots of unhappy customers if you work here.

Advice to Management

Whatever advice I give won’t be listened to by management. Higher management don’t care about the incompetence of most of the department managers.

"Working for HN"

Former Employee - Logistics Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Logistics Assistant in London, England

I worked at Harvey Nichols full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good discount price for clothes, season ticket, good lads, good team

Cons

Full of rubbish managers (from assistant to department man. and sales man.). changes every week. when the whole department was running smoothly they figured out something how they can screw up the whole team.

Advice to Management

let everyone do their job and leave it.

24 Oct 2018 – Group Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to add a review. We are sorry you felt so strongly about the team and would be happy to discuss your thoughts in more detail. If you are happy to share more... More