Hays plc Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends

1,358 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours can be a struggle but the rewards are great (in 324 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 83 reviews)

1. "Wasn't expecting that"

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Peterborough, England
    Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Peterborough, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've done a review before but I had to put a bit of an update because I've been so blown away by the support of my management team, it has humbled me and I want to share so people know you're not just a number here. I've recently had some news that my boyfriend is seriously ill and will need a prolonged course of treatment in London. I wanted to let my boss know what was going on as I never take personal calls during work hours, I'm a bit tearful at times & I know the next few months are going to be tough. My line manager has been supportive, kind and understanding and my regional managing director has gone way beyond anything I would have expected to be able to support and accommodate me and what we may need. I knew I loved working with the people here and that I wouldn't change the culture for the world but the support has been remarkable and I will be forever grateful.

Cons

Recruitment is a sales job and it is hard work but if you are prepared to take advice and work smart, Hays is the best place for you to build a career. My basic salary has never been more than 50% of my total take-home but I have worked flippin' hard and am proud of it.

2. "Great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Hays since November and I absolutely love it. It is very fast-paced and challenges you everyday but the rewards are incredible. It is so satisfying to know you've helped change a person's life by putting them into a new role. Hays have a meritocratic career opportunity programme which means you can get promoted best on your achievements and you certainly get out what you put in.

Cons

It is a challenging environment where you need to have thick skin and you must be resistant.

3. "Supported & Encouraged for 14 years!"

Current Employee - Business Director in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Business Director in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Hays plc part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The training is extensive. The database capability is industry-leading and our team ethos is fantastic!

Cons

Hays are so big and proactive, sometimes the opportunities are overwhelming!

5. "Company review"

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Hays plc (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training. The company really look after employees.

Cons

None that I have come across

6. "Supportive and motivational"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working for Hays for 6 years and can honestly say as hard as the job can be sometimes I would never work any where else. My team are amazing and the training here is like no where else. I have felt consistently supported and have quickly moved up in my career with the business.

Cons

Too many staff incentives for my waistline.

7. "Associate"

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training
    Commitment from the management team
    culture
    commission

Cons

long hours (8:30-6), could leave earlier on a Friday rather than at 5:30

Advice to Management

none

8. "The place to be!!"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in New Malden, England
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in New Malden, England

I have been working at Hays plc (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Hays has been a fantastic career building opportunity for me. There is always great job prospects and new opportunities to build on knowledge and experience across many different areas of the business. This coupled with the many social and charity events that are actively encouraged, help build a sense of community within the company. Also, If you work hard enough, then you get the reward and recognition it deserves, which helps push you on to achieve more!

Cons

Can't say there is any to be honest. Staff are actively encouraged to give feedback, and any areas for improvement get addressed very quickly.

19 Jun 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

How great! Thanks for sharing. I know John and the New Malden team will be happy to hear your feedback.

9. "Great training and amazing trainers"

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Trainers have all been recruiters, they deliver practical and relevant training that works, role plays are realistic and the trainers want you to be successful and really push you hard to be your best

Cons

Would love more training!

Advice to Management

Keep delivering great training

19 Jun 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you very much for the complement, the training team will love receiving your feedback and noted your informal request for more development. All the best.

10. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Leeds, England

Pros

Access to industry leading training from day one
    Able to begin billing immediately and get on the commission ladder
    Great support from experienced consultants

Cons

Intense long hours can make the work life balance tricky. But, the pay off can be worth it
    Rigid dress code

Advice to Management

More flexibility on hours and dress code

19 Jun 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your five star review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. In terms of your advice to management, we do offer flexi hours and you can request them via the ... More

11. "Happy Employee!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Milton Keynes office (where I am based) has an excellent team spirit and two fantastic managers.
    Hays as an organisation is collaborative & welcoming with a focus on career progression.
    Achievable promotion targets with support from direct management as well as senior management.
    Regular performance reviews/sales plans with managers to help achieve targets for promotion.
    Open communication across the region, encouraging the collaborative culture.
    Encouraged to spend time away from the computer meeting clients and interviewing candidates.

Cons

Office recognition and PB incentives need to be improved.
    Work life balance is poor (8.30am-6pm with no option for working from home even occasionally)- although findings in Hays own publications show this to be the main driver for staff attraction and retention.

Advice to Management

There are no incentives run in the office, with the focus purely on the commission. Will enhance the office morale to have weekly incentives to achieve as a team and individually.
    Consider flexible working/home life balance as per Hays Publication findings