Hays plc Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

1,307 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours can be a struggle but the rewards are great (in 318 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 80 reviews)

1. "12 Weeks In and Loving It"

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Exeter, England
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Exeter, England

Pros

I work as a part of a great team who provide me with support and encouragement. The office is very lively and driven and I enjoy this type of working environment. Since coming away from self-employment, regular money has been great and the commission has been better!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. I would like to have more people in the office to grow the buzz.

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive and encouraging. Discuss 5 year goals regarding Hays career with people or business management goals.

22 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

What a great read on a Monday morning! Thank you for sharing your Hays strong on glassdoor and even more so for the 5 stars you have it. All the best moving forward.

2. "Recruitment Associate"

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Bath, England
    Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant in Bath, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding career, recognition when doing well, very good communication from all departments, very friendly and get to visit clients outside of the office which I really love doing!

Cons

Have not come to any yet.

Advice to Management

Really Good at what they do and this puts more faith in me to achieve more.

22 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your 5 star review from Bath - great to hear!

3. "Offering new challenges"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the great things about working with Hays is that they will open the door for future opportunities for staff, who want to stay within the business whether this be moving to a different specialism within the same office, different office or perhaps abroad. The business will support your growth and progression and plans and ultimately leave it in your hands as to how successful you are.

Cons

At times, the business can be quite focused on activity numbers as opposed to the relationships that are being built as a result which eventually convert to revenue.

22 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

You're right when you say we look at activity because we're a performance based business after all. I do think however that we manage our relationships with clients and candidates well too because ... More

5. "Great team, hard work, fantastic career development"

Current Employee - Director in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Director in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Cardiff team are fantastic and have the perfect balance between wanting to individually be the best but recognise the importance of working as a team to get there. You are in control of your destiny. Career path and promotions are clearly defined as well as the opportunity to increase earnings quickly. Superb training from team supported by strong regional and national training and development focus. Oh and the team like to go out and celebrate success in style!

Cons

It is hard work, there are ups and downs and the reality it's not for everyone. You have to commit to it 100% particularly in your first year. Everyone started as an associate and we all remember going home exhausted in the first few weeks particularly ... but if you get it, commit to it,the pros outweighs the cons!

Advice to Management

The structure is solid and the opportunities are there for those who want it but always but keep investing in ongoing people development.

22 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you from the Director level team in Cardiff - I appreciate it takes time out of your busy day to write a review on Hays and it's greatly appreciated. All the best.

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, offers lots of opportunity to progress, great culture.

Cons

Long hours, no office in my home town.

Advice to Management

Continue the opportunity to progress.

8 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your 5 star review from Reading!

7. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Leeds, England

Pros

Excellent progression, training, culture and people! The commission structure is good and uncapped so you really get back what you put in.

Cons

Working hours are longer than other industries and sometimes with a long commute can be tiring.

10 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your comments. If your commute is long, is it worth considering taking advantage of relocating to offices closer to you? We do have many offices in/around Leeds and the North East so ... More

8. "Hays Review"

Current Employee - Intern in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Intern in Bristol, England

Pros

Great place to work as an intern due to what the internship gives you exposure to do.
    No day is ever the same.
    Provide support if, and when needed.
    Wonderful culture and everyone is engaged.

Cons

Work life balance can be tricky, especially when having to perform university work as well as this job.
    There can be a sense of favouritism from time to time.

10 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for completing your glassdoor review. - I appreciate you taking the time and scoring us 5 / 5. I have to admit, I am concerned by your comments about favouritism and would like to speak to ... More

9. "Meritocracy"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about Hays is that you don't need to wait for someone 'above' you to move on or get promoted before you can progress your own career. Every individual employee has a set of targets for promotion that are independent of everyone else. In a nutshell, you can drive your own career.

Cons

If I could change anything about Hays it would be the working hours, maybe to make them more flexible.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognise and reward individuals and teams for their successes

10 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your five star review. Did you know that you can request flexible working hours on the intranet? Alternatively, please feel free to ask your regional HR lead for guidance.

10. "How Hays values helped me unlock my career potential"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chesterfield, England
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chesterfield, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for a company who truly put people at the heart of every action it takes. The values we have as an organisation are much more than words and being passionate about people is far from just a catchphrase.

The work I do with my candidates and clients locally is incredibly rewarding - there really is nothing better than telling someone you have secured them a perfect new job whether temporary or permanent. I receive really strong feedback from temp workers and have a loyal base of clients who trust my recommendation and recognise me as an expert in the market.

Over the past 5 years Hays have invested in me providing initial and ongoing training. Hays training is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing and as well as training when you first start there are frequent opportunities to continue training in classrooms as well as our 'lunch and learn' webinars. When I describe myself as a recruitment expert I know it's true and thanks in part to the training opportunities I have had from Hays.

Hays has a fantastic network of local team and office managers, directors and managing directors. They recognise and reward the work I do and provide me with opportunity to progress. They promote and believe in my own ambition as much as I do and encourage me to take on additional duties. In the past year I've taken on responsibility managing our local office despite having no previous management experience. They recognised my ability and pushed me to apply my skills and achieve my potential. Hays is an excellent employer to work for if you want to grow and develop your career.

Hays are just as interested in our clients and candidates as we are ourselves. Consultants are encouraged to take pride in their work and use their inquisitive skills to find out as much as possible about our clients and candidates. I think this is what sets Hays apart as a recruitment agency and why I am proud to work for Hays.

Cons

Working at Hays won't suit everyone; it is a challenging job and when things haven't gone your way it can be easy to feel frustrated. It's important to think about how you overcome obstacles and challenges and how resilient and focussed you can be in a busy and demanding job. If you are someone who thrives on a challenge like I do, or sees a setback as a motivation to succeed next time it will suit you down to the ground.

Advice to Management

I find Hays management to be fair, supportive and genuinely interested in the people who make up their teams and contribute to their success. I think it's important Hays continues to put this at the heart of their people management

10 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Your review was a pleasure to read. You've got a very balanced approach to life at Hays and I'd imagine anyone reading what you wrote would get a good insight into our business. Thank you for sharing ... More

11. "Brilliant company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Leeds, England

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

Pros

Fantastic professional opportunities, full support and training, brilliant management, great office environment and generally a fab place to work.

Cons

The hours do seam long however the pro's of the business do out way this

Advice to Management

n/a

23 May 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear you're enjoying your Hays story and long may it continue!

Showing 1,307 of 1,413 reviews