Hays "work hard play" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hays Employee Reviews about "work hard play"

Updated 3 Feb 2020

3.7
Pros
Cons
  • "Developing a successful career as an agency Recruiter does require long hours at times(in 456 reviews)

• "If you are looking for a trendy company that is all about that work/life balance, this is not the place for you(in 138 reviews)

Reviews about "work hard play"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Hays Wakefield- A great office if you are looking to build a career in recruitment"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Wakefield, England

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Hays Wakefield office is a fun, friendly, work hard, play hard environment, good office culture and the autonomy to build your own desk, motivational management who have a wealth of experience and knowledge and offer support accordingly to help with career progression.

Cons

Long hours of work, but you get out of it what you put in to it.

Hays2020-02-03
  2. "Amazing place to start a career in recruitment if you're willing to work hard"

Current Intern - Sourcing Partner
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Hays for less than a year

Pros

The social side of the office is fantastic, there's always charity events going on, nights out being planned and after work drinks, and the Christmas party was amazing. As soon as I walked in on my first day in the office I was invited to join the 5 a side football team by about 5 different people, told about the next few nights out that were planned and introduced to everyone on my team. After just a couple of weeks I pretty much knew everyone in the office. The company really focuses on training in your first 6 months, both from your manager, in classroom based week-long sessions with other colleagues from different offices at a similar level to you, and through online training modules. Although the hours are long, (42.5 hrs a week is standard), I'd disagree with people saying that work-life-balance is a con of working at Hays - they've introduced flexi time (although this is at your managers discretion and needs to be pre-arranged), there's the ability to purchase extra holiday days, and there is no expectation to take your work home - your weekends are completely yours and so are your evenings, often you cannot even access your emails outside of work. Hard work is always rewarded, from 'Star of the Week' awards as voted by other members of your team, lunches and after work drinks on your director if you hit targets, bonuses, and eventually promotions. Higher billers also get the opportunity to be entered into a company holiday competition, period end afternoons off for a lunch and drinks. Management are also incredibly supportive of both personal life and career progression, and will give up their time to have one-to-one meetings with staff to offer advice and help. I've often seen my director having meetings with junior staff giving them career advice, and also being very understanding of other staff members when they've had issues in their personal lives. This is something that I know a lot of the staff really appreciate. Every 4th Friday (period end) we all have beers/prosecco together towards the end of the day, and the whole office gets together to celebrate the achievements from the past 4 weeks, give out some company updates, congratulate people on promotions and have a laugh at some of the embarrassing things people have done in the past week. Usually everyone goes to the pub after, and then the younger members of staff tend to stay out quite a bit later. There's loads of benefits, but for me the best one, and the one I've utilised the most, is the online GP appointment service. You can literally book an appointment and have a video call with a GP on your phone for free within half an hour where they can diagnose symptoms and email a digital prescription for you to go and pick up on the same day. If you do need to go to an appointment face-to-face, management will allow you to flexi-time your work around it. I have to stress this is based on my experience in my team in my office, I think different people in different offices will have had different experiences compared with me.

Cons

KPI targets are set as standard, and don't always reflect the difficulty of the desk that you have. Some KPIs are unrealistic and unattainable. It's a very large company so (especially in compliance-heavy sectors) there's a lot of red tape and it's hard to be innovative. Some desks are very competitive, but that's the nature of recruitment. As an intern, doing the exact same job as other members of staff, it can be frustrating when you pay is substantially lower. The rate of pay was something that really put me off applying for this internship, but in the end I'm glad I did.

Hays2020-01-31

"Exceptional training, development and management team"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Committed and hardworking managing and director team who are keen to upskill employees and keep them in the business. You can have a very successful career at Hays. Team is chatty and we have fun everyday in the office. Lots of progression on offer if you show drive and ask for it. Lots of incentives and rewards which make staff valued and rewarded for our hard work. Your success is what you make of it, if you put the hard work in you'll see results.

Cons

Expectations to be in the office for 40-50 hours per week is too much and way above industry standards. Very corporate office environment. Lack of flexibility even with "flexible working" - 1 hour either side and approved by management beforehand is not flexible and no options to work from home. Maternity pay is standard and based on base salary no matter how long you've been in the business or what level you are. When you start there is luck of the draw in whether your desk is hot, warm or cold and promotions are based on fees not effort so that impacts new recruits. Only take on entry level recruiters due to salary being too low for market rate. Salary and commission is a LOT lower compared to market rate.

Hays2019-12-08
  4. "Highly rewarding with lots of progression in return for hard work and ambition."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hays is a great company to join if you want to have a long-term career in Recruitment with a global leader and you aren't afraid of some hard work! As a business, it has really progressed in recent years in the way that it develops, trains and supports it's staff. With industry leading training, but also with the support of colleagues and management, those that are new to the Recruitment sector have the best chance of being successful at Hays. Throughout your career, Hays will develop and push you further. You will have access to numerous benefits including a generous employee share scheme, flexible working, access from home, retail and restaurant discounts, discounted dental and health care schemes, black tie events, plus lots of incentives including anything from a bottle of bubbly to an all expenses paid holiday! Hays offers competitive salaries and a rewarding commission scheme. As you gain experience, you may get the opportunity to manage your own team which allows you to earn more, plus, can lead to you managing an office, a region, or even a country in the future. As a global PLC, a huge benefit is the ability to relocate with Hays abroad, or to take a sabbatical and return to a guaranteed job. This is a great option if you want to travel or explore the world.

Cons

The hours can be long and the work can be tough, but if you are willing to put in the effort and work hard, it can be hugely rewarding.

Hays2019-11-26
  5. "Great company to work for and are extremely appreciated as an employee"

Former Intern - Intern Recruitment Consultant in Liverpool, England

I worked at Hays for more than a year

Pros

The company invests a lot of money into training you, although I was only an intern I was treated like any other member of staff with the same levels of responsibility. There is a great sales culture and buzz around the office, and every success is recognised amongst your peers and senior management. Support is always in place if you feel you are struggling and all colleagues, despite their seniority, are extremely friendly and approachable. Overall I couldnt recommend Hays enough if you are wanting to work in recruitment, they are the biggest and best in the industry and if you work there you will understand why. There are lots of incentives to work towards eg race days or office parties, very sociable and young working environment 'work hard play hard'.

Cons

Long working hours, standard day is 8:30 - 6 (5:30 on a Friday), however this is normal if working in recruitment. Can't fault anything else Hays do as a business.

Hays2019-09-24
  6. "Great people and culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone at Hays is super supportive of your efforts and work. There is a great culture in place which recognises hard work and success. I have made some great friends here and the social scene is important to me.

Cons

There are no downsides to working for Hays.

Hays2019-09-19
  7. "Highly recommended & a very professional outfit"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultannt in Exeter, England

I have been working at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team, realistic, hard work but rewarding, top class training,

Cons

No negatives or cons thus far

Hays2019-07-30
  8. "Great career progression!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Hays full-time

Pros

Amazing training and support to make sure you can get the most out of your desk. Good company culture, and reward hard work.

Cons

The job itself can be quite challenging, but that is not exclusive to Hays.

Hays2019-07-29

"Managing Consultant"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Progression, support and the general culture is fantastic . I have been in the business just over 4 years and have been given endless opportunity. All you need is hard work and some gumption and you can achieve whatever you want. I now look after a team of 8 and still bill on my own desk. Couldn't ask or want for more from an employer.

Cons

I wouldn't say there were any cons. They are a brilliant business.

Hays2019-05-15

"Intern"

I worked at Hays full-time

Pros

Excellent culture You are always rewarded for hard work You are given real responsibility from day 1

Cons

Team structure/organisation can be improved

Hays2018-11-06