Hays Employee Reviews about "work hard play"

Updated Jan 19, 2021

Found 155 of over 4,302 reviews

3.7
Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox
1,926 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fast career progression, rewarding position, great people(in 161 reviews)

• "There are lots of incentives to work towards eg race days or office parties, very sociable and young working environment 'work hard play hard'(in 157 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Certain times of year bring long hours(in 495 reviews)

• "Not much flexibility around working hours(in 141 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work hard play"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

great atmosphere, great people and rewarding work!

Sep 16, 2020 - Senior Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are rewarded for your hard work through commission, incentives and awards. Great team atmosphere, every day is lively, fun and exciting!

Cons

long hours at times and high pressure environment

2. 5.0

Great Career Opportunities

Sep 15, 2020 - Manager in Sheffield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are motivated by promotions, earning commission, continuous personal development Hays is a great career path. I personally started as an Intern during my placement year at university, after returning I worked within the finance recruitment sector and then progressed to manage a smaller office. Since then, I have moved to manage a much larger team/area. Hard work definitely pays off

Cons

The hours can be long but we now have hybrid working which means we can work from home and office.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

excellent organisation to work for

Sep 7, 2020 - Senior Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to develop, excellent training, working with an organisation with a credible reputation, good communication from and to all levels, friendly and supportive culture across all regions, hard work and success is celebrated and well rewarded - both financially or with appropriate recognition or events (where possible!), opportunity to develop and nurture excellent and long-lasting customer relationships.

Cons

none if you are prepared to put in the work

4. 5.0

A great place to work

Aug 27, 2020 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Training at all levels throughout your career. The people and culture are at the forefront of the business. Great rewards and incentives which makes the hard work worth it. Excellent career progression, and we have market leading technology available which is continuously updated and improved.

Cons

Hours can be long but it's worth it once you start seeing the rewards pay off.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 4.0

good place to ptogress

Aug 19, 2020 - Business Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to progress if you put in the hard work

Cons

very K P I driven

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Hays Wakefield- A great office if you are looking to build a career in recruitment

Feb 3, 2020 - Business Manager in Wakefield, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Hays Wakefield office is a fun, friendly, work hard, play hard environment, good office culture and the autonomy to build your own desk, motivational management who have a wealth of experience and knowledge and offer support accordingly to help with career progression.

Cons

Long hours of work, but you get out of it what you put in to it.

7. 5.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

Amazing place to start a career in recruitment if you're willing to work hard

Jan 31, 2020 - Sourcing Partner
      Business Outlook

Pros

The social side of the office is fantastic, there's always charity events going on, nights out being planned and after work drinks, and the Christmas party was amazing. As soon as I walked in on my first day in the office I was invited to join the 5 a side football team by about 5 different people, told about the next few nights out that were planned and introduced to everyone on my team. After just a couple of weeks I pretty much knew everyone in the office. The company really focuses on training in your first 6 months, both from your manager, in classroom based week-long sessions with other colleagues from different offices at a similar level to you, and through online training modules. Although the hours are long, (42.5 hrs a week is standard), I'd disagree with people saying that work-life-balance is a con of working at Hays - they've introduced flexi time (although this is at your managers discretion and needs to be pre-arranged), there's the ability to purchase extra holiday days, and there is no expectation to take your work home - your weekends are completely yours and so are your evenings, often you cannot even access your emails outside of work. Hard work is always rewarded, from 'Star of the Week' awards as voted by other members of your team, lunches and after work drinks on your director if you hit targets, bonuses, and eventually promotions. Higher billers also get the opportunity to be entered into a company holiday competition, period end afternoons off for a lunch and drinks. Management are also incredibly supportive of both personal life and career progression, and will give up their time to have one-to-one meetings with staff to offer advice and help. I've often seen my director having meetings with junior staff giving them career advice, and also being very understanding of other staff members when they've had issues in their personal lives. This is something that I know a lot of the staff really appreciate. Every 4th Friday (period end) we all have beers/prosecco together towards the end of the day, and the whole office gets together to celebrate the achievements from the past 4 weeks, give out some company updates, congratulate people on promotions and have a laugh at some of the embarrassing things people have done in the past week. Usually everyone goes to the pub after, and then the younger members of staff tend to stay out quite a bit later. There's loads of benefits, but for me the best one, and the one I've utilised the most, is the online GP appointment service. You can literally book an appointment and have a video call with a GP on your phone for free within half an hour where they can diagnose symptoms and email a digital prescription for you to go and pick up on the same day. If you do need to go to an appointment face-to-face, management will allow you to flexi-time your work around it. I have to stress this is based on my experience in my team in my office, I think different people in different offices will have had different experiences compared with me.

Cons

KPI targets are set as standard, and don't always reflect the difficulty of the desk that you have. Some KPIs are unrealistic and unattainable. It's a very large company so (especially in compliance-heavy sectors) there's a lot of red tape and it's hard to be innovative. Some desks are very competitive, but that's the nature of recruitment. As an intern, doing the exact same job as other members of staff, it can be frustrating when you pay is substantially lower. The rate of pay was something that really put me off applying for this internship, but in the end I'm glad I did.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exceptional training, development and management team

Dec 8, 2019 - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Committed and hardworking managing and director team who are keen to upskill employees and keep them in the business. You can have a very successful career at Hays. Team is chatty and we have fun everyday in the office. Lots of progression on offer if you show drive and ask for it. Lots of incentives and rewards which make staff valued and rewarded for our hard work. Your success is what you make of it, if you put the hard work in you'll see results.

Cons

Expectations to be in the office for 40-50 hours per week is too much and way above industry standards. Very corporate office environment. Lack of flexibility even with "flexible working" - 1 hour either side and approved by management beforehand is not flexible and no options to work from home. Maternity pay is standard and based on base salary no matter how long you've been in the business or what level you are. When you start there is luck of the draw in whether your desk is hot, warm or cold and promotions are based on fees not effort so that impacts new recruits. Only take on entry level recruiters due to salary being too low for market rate. Salary and commission is a LOT lower compared to market rate.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Highly rewarding with lots of progression in return for hard work and ambition.

Nov 26, 2019 - Senior Manager in Ipswich, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hays is a great company to join if you want to have a long-term career in Recruitment with a global leader and you aren't afraid of some hard work! As a business, it has really progressed in recent years in the way that it develops, trains and supports it's staff. With industry leading training, but also with the support of colleagues and management, those that are new to the Recruitment sector have the best chance of being successful at Hays. Throughout your career, Hays will develop and push you further. You will have access to numerous benefits including a generous employee share scheme, flexible working, access from home, retail and restaurant discounts, discounted dental and health care schemes, black tie events, plus lots of incentives including anything from a bottle of bubbly to an all expenses paid holiday! Hays offers competitive salaries and a rewarding commission scheme. As you gain experience, you may get the opportunity to manage your own team which allows you to earn more, plus, can lead to you managing an office, a region, or even a country in the future. As a global PLC, a huge benefit is the ability to relocate with Hays abroad, or to take a sabbatical and return to a guaranteed job. This is a great option if you want to travel or explore the world.

Cons

The hours can be long and the work can be tough, but if you are willing to put in the effort and work hard, it can be hugely rewarding.

10. 5.0
      Former Intern, more than 1 year

Great company to work for and are extremely appreciated as an employee

Sep 24, 2019 - Intern Recruitment Consultant in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company invests a lot of money into training you, although I was only an intern I was treated like any other member of staff with the same levels of responsibility. There is a great sales culture and buzz around the office, and every success is recognised amongst your peers and senior management. Support is always in place if you feel you are struggling and all colleagues, despite their seniority, are extremely friendly and approachable. Overall I couldnt recommend Hays enough if you are wanting to work in recruitment, they are the biggest and best in the industry and if you work there you will understand why. There are lots of incentives to work towards eg race days or office parties, very sociable and young working environment 'work hard play hard'.

Cons

Long working hours, standard day is 8:30 - 6 (5:30 on a Friday), however this is normal if working in recruitment. Can't fault anything else Hays do as a business.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 155 Reviews