Heartland Payment Systems Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

Jeffrey S. Sloan
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home, offers flexibility and ability to earn residual income ans signing bonus (not found in many industries) (in 22 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is what you want it to be (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Con for most people is that it is 100% commission and starting without a book of business (in 26 reviews)

• The profits to the sales force became smaller because Managment claimed our cost had increased (in 23 reviews)

1. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate Live Chat in Warrendale, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate Live Chat in Warrendale, PA (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Heartland Payment Systems. Heartland allows for great work/ life balance, good pay, good benefits, great advancement and recognition. Great team environment, great management team. If you want to learn more they will teach you more.

Cons

There are no negatives to report.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive atmosphere, you're doing a fantastic job so far.

2. "One of the Best Companies I've Worked for in my Life"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warrendale, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Warrendale, PA (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is friendly and positive. Most Respectful place I've ever worked in. Upper management has an open door policy and they take time to appreciate the employees. Have had a few issues that were address with I consider excellent customer service.

Cons

Starting pay is not based off of previous experience, and should be higher as the expectations are high.

Advice to Management

My only concern is that we lose good people due to other companies paying higher wages. Having to much turnaround in employment does effect the overall customer experience as newer employees do make more mistakes.

3. "Great place to start a career!"

Current Employee - Associate Customer Service Advocate in Warrendale, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Customer Service Advocate in Warrendale, PA (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Open door policy
    *Everyone helps each other out
    *Good pay
    *Various shifts to fit your needs.

Cons

*The cafeteria isn't open for the later shift employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Relationship Manager"

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Nice people, there is an opportunity to make more, but it is commission only. They did pay residual income, so if you can keep your customers happy, you will do better

Cons

There is a lot of money spent on gas, phone and other expenses that they do not compensate for. Very difficult to get to a higher amount of commission

6. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

great culture! good benefits, family environment, transparent and honest company, care about their employees

Cons

I don't believe there are any cons.

7. "Great company with a great moto sets up for failure"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reading, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reading, PA (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The concept of flat rate interchange is good, they are trying to change the culture

Cons

They do not support, no base salary

Advice to Management

Create a base, standardize forms and create better sales material and educational material about interchange.

8. "Relationship Manager"

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Flexibility, stock discounts, residuals and residual buy out program, good commission potential

Cons

commission only, outsourced management, changing culture

Advice to Management

Stop hiring competitors for management positions and foster a better culture by advancing existing employees

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeffersonville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jeffersonville, IN (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly environment. Lots if good quality people left in the Jeffersonville office. Employees in this office are an asset to the company. Decent insurance, good 401k benefits and mediocre pay for workload.

Cons

Management has really lost their way since Heartland has been acquired by Global Payments. Everything is a numbers game and the company's culture has dramatically shifted. Many long tenured employees are leaving for better opportunities elsewhere. Teams are being condensed, more responsibilities without more than pay. Cultural shift is apparent within the building. Simply put people seem beat up and largely unhappy. Very sad to see the downward spiral if this once great company being lost in the sight of wall street.

Advice to Management

Advice to Senior HSC management... listen to your employees. Heartland has always preached that our employees are our greatest asset. Thoughts and ideas are quickly dismissed because they aren't their own. People are working long amounts if overtime to keep afloat throwing work/life balance completely off. You really need to listen to your employees and actually listen to them and not just hear them. Not everyone has to agree with everyone. Sometimes people can disagree and good ideas can come from outside the proverbial bubble of management. Some of the seasoned managers need to go. Also, way to many "supervisors" that have less responsibilities in the customer service area. People are being worked to death and can't get the help they need. Also, look at all functional areas within the HSC and ensure they are being properly run. Some people are always in meetings and not enough time with their employees. Desperately need to improve on communication skills. Since the beginning of 2017, it has drastically become worse. This starts at the top, and is constantly broken down between teams. A lot of work to be done to make it better... but will never be what Heartland once was.

"A Year and a Half with Heartland"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Allentown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Allentown, PA (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation Model: 6 month up-front signing bonuses; lifetime monthly residuals; portfolio ownership; Easy to understand comp plan;Hasn't changed in over 20 years.
    Training: Ongoing and consistent with best practices in our industry; All tools to succeed are available - Territory Manager, Division Manager, VP of Sales have always been accessible and willing to help in the growth of their sales team; online trainings and resources; great Sales Support team to contact.
    Culture: The leadership that I report to have always maintained a positive and encouraging attitude...not something I was used to at other places I have worked. Additionally, others sales reps who have no financial incentive to help me, have played an integral part of my success at Heartland.

Cons

Con for most people is that it is 100% commission and starting without a book of business. A pro to this con is our lifetime residuals. Even on a slow month, I was able to pay my mortgage and several other bills with my monthly residual check alone.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent while interviewing candidates. Ensure that the candidate understands that they are committing to producing for Heartland, with the understanding that if business is not written, their "salary" will be $0.

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company that actually has the client and the reps best interests at heart. They actually do what they say. The comp plan is one of the best in the industry. They have an outstanding training program that is ongoing and they maintain an open line of communication through all levels of management. Their on boarding process is extremely easy and I have been able to have a client approved and operational within 20 minutes. If you are looking for a permanent home with tremendous earning potential than Heartland is the place.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that I did not find Heartland sooner.

Advice to Management

No matter how big we become, please keep our core principles in tact.