Cover image for Helping Hands Home Care

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "Training is good if you get the dementia training(in 66 reviews)
  • "Helpful and friendly staff.(in 40 reviews)
  • "Pay is good and they pay for travel within UK.(in 30 reviews)
  • "Great manager very supportive.(in 28 reviews)
  • "My team are amazing, very talented and hard working(in 21 reviews)
Cons
  • "poor management and Insufficient supervision(in 27 reviews)
  • "Can be long hours but that’s because I chose to do that!!!(in 24 reviews)
  • "Lack of/ poor communication within the department as well as throughout the whole business.(in 17 reviews)
  • "There are no benefits that you would expect of a company of this size(in 11 reviews)
  • "Expected to be available 24/7 long hours and sometimes big gaps between calls(in 8 reviews)
Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Nursery Assistant
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Worsley, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work for

Cons

Long hours and a lot of travel

Thank you for your review, its great to hear you are enjoying working with us.

23 Nov 2023
        Community Carer
        Former Employee, less than 1 year
        Folkestone, England
        Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly, easy interview, good training. Paid online training

Cons

Difficult about references. It was patently obvious I have previous care experience, but they insisted on a reference from a dreadful care company I left 9 years ago, who had changed hands and couldn't find a record of me. There were also continuing issues with DBS documents and I jumped every hoop trying to rectify recruiter errors. Then I was discharged for not replying to an email while I was at a funeral! Not to mention my surprise when I found it was I who should supposedly have been chasing my DBS check! Recently I have found that despite us having parted ways shortly after the DBS issue came to light, they have not informed HMRC and so HMRC think I still work for them. "Predicted earnings" had affected my tax allowance and meant an hour long phone call to HMRC to stop them taxing my tiny pension! Cheers, Helping Hands!

Thank you for having the time to leave a review. We appreciate all feedback.

2. Join the Helping Hands Home Care team
        See Our Latest Jobs
        1. 2.0
          23 Oct 2023
          Care Coordinator
          Former Employee, more than 1 year
          Worthing, West Sussex, South East England, England
          Business Outlook

Pros

- Okay pay (decent for carers, average for office) - Great carers - Alright training (good for carers, weak for office)

Cons

- Management are cliquey - No support for mental health (giving out a telephone number is not good enough) - Ridiculously long hours - No respect - Manager always asking others to cover their on-call weekend - Full sick pay “paid at manager’s discretion” but then only getting statutory sick pay when booked off with poor mental health due to being overworked (3 weeks straight including weekends, no days off, some days with 7am start 9pm finish) - Manager has no respect for carers and treats them like they are disposable

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to hear that you didn't feel supported in your role, we'd always encourage our staff to speak to their line manager in the first instance if they are struggling. If you'd like to discuss your comments any further please email recruitment@helpinghands.co.uk

1. 4.0
            27 Sept 2023
            Home-visiting Carer
            Saint Albans, England
            Business Outlook

Pros

There are always people who need care, so there'll be lots of opportunity to work. The office staff are usually helpful and accommodating. Real satisfactory job - knowing you're helping those in need. Hours are typically flexible and can be worked around your schedule.

Cons

A lot of travelling in between clients, which isn't paid for (other than mileage) - means you can be out 'working' a 12 hour day and only get paid around 8 of those hours. The mileage paid isn't up to government standard of 45ppm (they pay 35ppm). Emotionally and sometimes physically demanding job.

Thank you for your review, its good to hear that on the whole, you're happy in your role. We do take on board all feedback, and if you would like to discuss anything in more detail please email us at recruitment@helpinghands.co.uk

22 Jun 2023
              Business Outlook

Pros

The talented people I worked with who were sadly undervalued.

Cons

Over the years I worked at Helping Hands, things got worse and then it became rapidly unbearable, until the point it was having a significant impact on my mental health. If the SLT weren’t so harmful, they’d be laughable. Ill-conceived changes are made overnight with no consideration for the impact on employees - in fact, it often felt like they were actively trying to disrupt productivity and create a toxic environment. A large proportion of the workforce at head office (myself included) were hired under the guise of ‘flexible working’ with a hybrid setup which was promised as long term. During my time at Helping Hands, despite sustained productivity, the disdain for hybrid working was made very clear, through micromanagement and the escalating withdrawal of flexibility. Helping Hands is very fortunate to have hired some fantastic people, with a range of skills and strong work ethics. However, the damaging culture is that of belittling employees and having no trust in their skill set or experience - leading to work that has been dictated by SLT, rather than that of any merit or expertise. I am very fortunate to have found a new job with a culture based on trust and empowerment, and I’m slowly rebuilding my self esteem after being made to feel worthless. I would not recommend working here to anyone.

1. 3.0
                27 Nov 2023
                Care Coordinator
                Former Employee
                Preston, North West England, England
                Business Outlook

Pros

Good Benefits Paid Expenses Security

Cons

Faced Paced Good Overall Unsuited to me

29 Jun 2023
                  Current Employee, more than 1 year
                  Business Outlook

Pros

It can feel rewarding knowing that we are contributing to helping those in need.

Cons

In the last year or so my experience at Helping Hands has been disheartening to say the least, this is due to poor management and the overall decline in employee morale and motivation. In recent times, the company has undergone numerous restructures and redundancies, leaving the remaining staff feeling overworked and underappreciated. Instead of fostering a positive work culture, management has made us feel like mere numbers, replaceable and disposable. One of the other main issues is the lack of recognition and appreciation for the hard work and dedication from employees. Despite shouldering heavier workloads and going above and beyond, there has been a lack of gratitude from management. It is disheartening to see our efforts go unnoticed and unrewarded, creating a negative atmosphere. Rather than inspiring and supporting the team through difficult transitions, the management has created a stressful environment due to lack of communication. In fact, the employees are blamed for this environment because it’s our fault for not approaching management to ask questions. As a current employee, I genuinely hope that the many negative reviews that have recently been posted serves as a wake-up call for the leadership team to reassess their approach and prioritise the well-being and job satisfaction of their staff.

1. 2.0
                    7 Nov 2023
                    HR Administrator
                    Business Outlook

Pros

People are really friendly and approachable

Cons

Pay isnt great for the long hours

Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the working hours, our office teams work a 40 hour week, in line with our operations teams so that we are always here to support.

1. 5.0
                      16 Oct 2023
                      Care Assistant
                      Current Employee, less than 1 year
                      Chelmsford, England
                      Business Outlook

Pros

They are brill company they treat u with respect and there for u if u need any help and they do food and drink and there been there so much for me thank u so much

Cons

Nothing they have not done anything wrong at all

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review, its great to hear things are going so well in your role!

1. 4.0
                        17 Oct 2023
                        Carer
                        Current Employee, more than 1 year
                        Brentwood, England
                        Business Outlook

Pros

Good rate Flexible Understanding admin team

Cons

Long drive (if you are not local) with mileage No defined progress (You have to create one for yourself) Leave is subjective for part-time

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we do appreciate all feedback. It's great to hear that you're enjoying your role!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 510 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Helping Hands Home Care Reviews FAQs

Helping Hands Home Care has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 825 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at Helping Hands Home Care to a friend and 63% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Helping Hands Home Care employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Helping Hands Home Care. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

71% of Helping Hands Home Care employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Helping Hands Home Care 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Helping Hands Home Care Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Want the inside scoop on your own company?

Join your Company Bowl™ for anonymous work chats.

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Alex L.

Applied for a job a few weeks back, got a call from HR yesterday morning about an interview next week. She mentioned she'd shoot me an email with all the interview details, but so far, my inbox is empty. Assuming I'll hear from her early next week, is it normal for them to expect me to show up for an in-person interview on short notice, like couple days?

2 Comments

B2B Account Executive

Saw this on twitter. Questions to ask hiring managers/recruiters: 1.What typical challenges can someone in this position expect to encounter in this role and within the company ? 2.Could you detail the key objectives that a new hire should prioritize in this position ? 3.Which specific skills are crucial to perform successfully in this job ? 4.How does the company evaluate performance & success in this role ? 5.From your perspective, what is the most appealing aspect of the comp

2 Comments

Senior Consultant

People who interviewed at JPMorgan Chase how long did it take for you to receive an offer after the final interview?

0 Comments

Glassdoor has 825 Helping Hands Home Care reviews submitted anonymously by Helping Hands Home Care employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Helping Hands Home Care is right for you.