Herbert Smith Freehills Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 24 Nov 2020

3.9
Herbert Smith Freehills CEO Justin D’Agostino
Justin D’Agostino
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Fantastic First Grad Job"

Former Employee - Legal Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined HSF straight out of university. I was very fortunate to join such a welcoming and friendly company. - It's exciting working with high-profile clients and working with offices across the globe especially when you are based in somewhere like Belfast. - No shortage of things to get involved with. I was involved in the social committee, university networks and social media. If you have an interest in something they will find a place for you and get you involved. - There are at least 3-4 events a month to attend. When I was there we had social events (quizzes etc), different sporting events (for all abilities), charity events and just before I left we got involved in Pride which was great. - The people really do make HSF in Belfast. All the managers are so welcoming and encouraging of you to ask questions. Also Lisa (the Director) is an absolute credit to the company because she talks to every single person when shes in the kitchen and I don't think that is the case in most companies. I've had really good fun with all my colleagues. - Also flexible working was introduced during my time, which gives you the ability to have a great work/life balance that you wouldn't get elsewhere.

Cons

The only reason I am leaving is because I want to pursue a career outside of law. However, I would admit that the work can get a bit monotonous but I think there is some much else going on in the company and the opportunity to move departments. For a first job it was a really good place to ease me into working.

2. "Great graduate Job"

Current Employee - Legal Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working, good work life balance, good office culture

Cons

Very difficult to move forward

"Great first graduate job"

Current Employee - Legal Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible working: makes for a good work/life balance, no long hours although voluntary paid overtime is often offered. - Social life: variety of networks to get involved in (sports, pro bono, mental health, universities, charity etc), frequent social events such as sports events, parties, quizzes and charity dress down day once a month. - Workload: Depending on projects, the work can often be monotonous but the social aspect and involvement in the networks makes up for this. - Salary: competitive salary, above other Belfast firms but not quite magic circle salary, yearly bonus and pay rise often provided, company discount in the majority of retailers, good pension scheme. - Opportunities for progression: recent addition of senior legal analyst role, usual training contracts, opportunities to move departments are becoming more frequent. - Great first graduate job, opportunity to meet and work with lots of new people, young and vibrant workforce.

Cons

- Overtime pay is often standard rate, contrasting from other similar Belfast firms. - Not able to work from home in this particular position.

Continue reading
  4. "amazing people, incredible premises"

Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for less than a year

Pros

A huge firm with the ethos of a smaller one: a friendly environment, good work-life balance, excellent salary.

Cons

no cons from my experience

5. "Excellent Place to Work"

Former Employee - Legal Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great management, really good opportunities particularly for working from other offices, very sociable office, great company events, excellent work life balance.

Cons

Not many avenues for progression from a legal analyst role

6. "HSF"

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time

Pros

Interesting work and good clients

Cons

Lack of work life balance

7. "Business Development Intern"

Former Intern - Intern Business Development

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance and a nice office atmosphere. They invested in training me up for the duration of my internship and giving me skills that would help me find graduate jobs.

Cons

The Paris office still feels like an extension of the larger London office.

8. "Trainee"

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time

Pros

Great culture and exciting business opportunities

Cons

Work-life balance may not be optimal

9. "Excellent disputes and corporate teams"

Associate in London, England

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills

Pros

Excellent work; good financial rewards

Cons

Partners very autonomous so work / life balance and culture vary between teams greatly

10. "Prestigious firm pleased to have gained experience there."

Former Contractor - Paralegal in London, England

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills for less than a year

Pros

- prestige and bragging rights (lasts a month at best) - quality and value of work - intellectual people to learn from - salaries - subsidised cafe - nice swanky offices

Cons

- long hours - little work life balance - paralegals treated like scum and a tolerated inconvenience. - pressure and work had to be done yesterday

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 English Reviews