Hermes Employee Reviews about "courier"

Updated 11 Jan 2021

Found 22 of over 639 reviews

Hermes CEO Martijn De Lange
Martijn De Lange
Pros
  • "Once you've delivered all the parcels you have on the day you are free to have the rest of the day off(in 19 reviews)

• "But other couriers I've spoken to are quite helpful(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Can sometimes wait long times for parcels to arrive as vans can be later(in 65 reviews)

• "Salary not competitive with other courier services(in 22 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "courier"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Worst Place I Have Worked

13 Aug 2020 - Community Delivery Manager in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Days off, my workmates, management always changing so no one knows what you are up to 😂

Cons

Terrible bully management. Speak and treat people bad. No respect for any courier who might fall on bad times, eg vehicle breakdown. Have your own area and then you also have cover other areas. Senior managers in head office have it good. People out in the field work in dirty depots, no air con, poor facilities but as long as they are cheap to rent Hermes are happy. Divisional managers are never seen out in the field.

4 people found this review helpful

PR and social Executive

Hi there, thanks for taking your time out to review the job. In regards your suggested responses, I would suggest speaking to HR as they will be best placed to look into improving this. Have a lovely weekend, GL.

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Constant cheating with numbers of parcels delivered, impossible to contact hr there

11 Jan 2021 - FT Courier in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not bad money after some time. Job is easy when you are not bothered with weather and can help with fitness.

Cons

Annoying if you know they rip you off when it comes to numbers of parcels you delivered, but there is not much you can do. Even when they constantly remind that for any payment issue you can contact courier admin, but they will do everything to put you off doing this like asking for details which are impossible to remember. Also they say that will reply within 5 working days- good luck with that. Basically this company is another corpo which model is to show you that you are so small so be happy that they hire you and if there are mistakes with payroll(they make lots of money on it- every single courier is missing money for parcels they delivered, but after a while they just fed up with chasing it) you should just take it as it is.

PR and social Executive

Thank-you for taking the time to share your experience working as a courier in Glasgow. We're extremely sorry to read that you've been experiencing issues with your pay and would recommend that you contact HR as soon as possible to resolve this. Thanks, GL

3. 1.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Not Worth It ! Poor pay, long hours, bad management.

21 Dec 2020 - Self-employed Courier in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Independent working, working outside, varied environment Years ago they never had the app. Although it does help in organising your parcels - it adds more time to the day (see below).

Cons

very poor pay, long hours, ban management. Average pay is around £0.41p per parcel. It can be as low as £0.33p per postable parcel. Standard parcels are around £0.55p per parcel and heavy parcels are £1.00 per parcel. These rates can be a little higher depending on your round - but not by much. Hermes are very cagey about giving out these figures. You are expected to do between 50 - 120 + parcels per round. You only earn about £30 - £40 per round at the most which can take around 4-6 hours. So even without expenses such as fuel and mobile data - you are already working below the minimum wage. You also have to set estimated arrival times for parcels. These are rarely possible to meet as it doesn't take into account traffic, time taken to leave parcels with neighbours, or the fact that the app is not the most efficient route organiser. Often it will take you down a road and require you to do a U-turn to head in the direction of your next parcel - something that is often impossible to do. There is also no option to allow you to mark a parcel as attempted or indicate tat you will try a re-delivery later than day. At the depot you rely on being given a daily manifest. If you aren't given one, this can affect your pay as the app doesn't always record the parcels properly and you can't easily view what you have done online. Also you are often given split rounds - this affects your bonuses as your round will never show as complete since another courier owns part of it. At the depot you have to scan your parcels in - often the scans don't work and you have to do this multiple times which is time consuming. You have to sort and load your parcels outside in all weathers as the depots are tiny, and you have to then head out to deliver. The app does give a recommended route but it doesn't trump local knowledge. As you deliver your parcel you have to re-scan it, photograph it - often you have to additionally scan a calling card and fill that in or obtain a signature. Again this all is very time consuming when time is literally money. You are reliant on that data being accurately recorded to get paid per parcel. But somehow it often isn't and is not processed properly or missed - so you end up not being paid for that parcel. You are heavily reliant on your depot managers. If they mess up the round organisation it can delay your day. As such the job just isn't worth the pay. The people who are on set rounds and have been doing it for years are on better contracts with guaranteed minimum pay due to a lawsuit Hermes was subject to - but the rest of the couriers saw no change in circumstances.

PR and social Executive

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience working as a courier in Liverpool. We're very sorry to read that you haven't enjoyed your time with us so far. We recommend raising your concerns with your manager or a member of HR as they will be able to look into this for you. All the best, GL

4. 2.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Broken!

3 Dec 2019 - Courier in Northampton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The couriers themselves are mainly hard working and try to deliver a good service to their customers.

Cons

Where to start! Firstly, the whole process is antiquated and not aimed at delivering a great service to the paying customer. Even simple items like having a scanner that works is a battle. The business priorities are clear, deliver All NEXT & AMAZON parcels at all costs as there are penalties that have to be paid if they are not delivered. If a courier has an emergency or car breakdown whilst delivering they are threatened with losing their round if the delivery of these parcels is not completed. Middle Management is very weak and have limited people skills. Promises are frequently made and then denied later. No-one will provide you with anything in writing as this creates a paper trail. I had been paid incorrectly for 5 months running before I left last week and nobody is ever bothered. I registered it through all of the correct channels and lodged a complaint and you hear nothing! I am currently in the process of taking legal action against Hermes for the 2nd time in 3 months to recover the money I am owed.

3 people found this review helpful

PR & Social Media Executive

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Hermes. We have noted all the detail which will be passed to the relevant teams. If you are still waiting for payment to be checked, please email courierpay@hermes-europe.co.uk with all the details so this can be investigated, we'd like to get this sorted as soon as possible. Best of luck for your future career, thank you.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee

I have been working as multi drop driver at Hermes.

27 Oct 2020 - Home Delivery Driver in Dunstable, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people to work with, very helpful field Manager.

Cons

Not enough paid for the amount of deliveries we made. There's no holiday or care for the courier.

PR and social Executive

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience working as a delivery driver in Dunstable. We're so glad to read that you have enjoyed your time with us so far however we would recommend that if you have any concerns with the pay or working hours that you speak with your team leader. Thanks, GL

6. 3.0
      Former Contractor, more than 10 years

Hermes courier company

27 Jun 2020 - Courier Driver
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work is very good based around your daily chores & areas of work is negotiable, insurance for parcel cover is covered via a daily fee

Cons

Salary not competitive with other courier services

PR and social Executive

Hi there, thanks for sharing your experience working as a courier. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and we'll pass on your feedback to the relevant team. We wish you all the best for your future career!

7. 3.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Feel I've been scammed into work

22 Jun 2020 - Delivery Driver in Newmarket, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly nice customers flexible hours. Good work

Cons

Not trustworthy fild management team. Almost zero contact with courier admin. courier admin do not answer emails. Basically you cannot solve any issues

PR and social Executive

Hi there, thank-you for sharing your experience working at Hermes. We're sorry to read that you feel this way and would recommend that if you have any immediate concerns, that you contact the HR team. Thanks!

8. 1.0
      Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Want a bad job apply here!

16 May 2019 - Self Employed Driver in Elgin, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

The customers once u know a round are amazing.

Cons

This job consists of a lot of butt kicking and nastness. The demand that u work as self employed but dictate to you what u can and cannot do. What hour u can and cannot work. Ask u to be on duty for deliver at all times. They constantly lie to you about parcels and always send parcel in the wrong bands as a result you get underpaid. The pay is terrible! Some courier get less that 50p per percel when it costs them closer to a couple quid to deliver it. They expect u to use ur own car and send parcel that are massive and clearly oversized anyway. The manager who are directly above me only care about saving there jobs and not the courier and they constantly moan. And have a go for small thing. In my depo we all cover for each other as it small but now we can't do that so basically it's impossible to go on hoilday as there is no cover and it horiible. The parcel often arrive in crappy conditions and the hermes info system to the customers is clearly bad as customer are constantly told the wrong things. If u want stress no pay and no hoilday this is the perfect company

9. 1.0
      Former Contractor

Scam/I would ever give the company one star!

10 Nov 2019 - Courier Driver
      Business Outlook

Pros

there is nothing positive about working for Hermes.

Cons

I worked for 4 days delivering 180 parcels, paid £45. The job advertisement offers from £10 an hour. The company doesn't pay until you have worked two weeks, so the courier driver has to subsidise to company for the first few weeks. £1 is offered per item delivered, when you get your pay slip, it is only between 45p and 59p. Petrol money is offered but not paid. Hermes courier jobs are advertised daily because nobody wants to stay after getting their first pay slip. In effect they are getting stupid people like me to deliver their parcels for free!

PR & Social Media Executive

It's incredibly disappointing to read about your experience of working with Hermes, we would like the opportunity to investigate some of your claims if you can email us on glassdoor@hermes-europe.co.uk with the details. In addition, you might already know that Hermes has launched SE+, a new employment model which allows couriers to enjoy a guaranteed rate of pay, holiday pay and other benefits. Alternatively, couriers can choose to keep the flexibility of their current status. We wish you all the best for your future career.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Rethink this, before you apply.

16 May 2019 - Courier
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have amazing customers, and I enjoy seeing them everyday.

Cons

Late lorries, incompetence in the field team, the managers at the corporate level seem to have no idea what’s actually happening at the courier level. They truly pay peanuts, the company has no care or compassion for their couriers, this company has one goal, that is for the company to make money. Also, it is nearly impossible to get a day off.

PR & Social Media Executive

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of what it is like to work at Hermes. It's lovely to read that you have amazing customers that you enjoy seeing. You should now be aware that Hermes is launching SE+, a new employment model which allows couriers to enjoy guaranteed pay, holiday pay and other benefits. Alternatively, couriers can choose to keep the flexibility of their current employment status. If you would like to know more about the different opportunities open to you, please speak to your Field Manager who will be able to help, thank you and we wish you all the best for the future.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 Reviews