Hermes Employee Reviews about "couriers"

Updated 16 Nov 2020

Found 18 of over 639 reviews

Hermes CEO Martijn De Lange
Martijn De Lange
Pros
  • "Once you've delivered all the parcels you have on the day you are free to have the rest of the day off(in 19 reviews)

• "But other couriers I've spoken to are quite helpful(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Can sometimes wait long times for parcels to arrive as vans can be later(in 65 reviews)

• "Salary not competitive with other courier services(in 22 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "couriers"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Professional & Helpful

17 Feb 2020 - Hermes Field Manager in Canterbury, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you want a self employed position as a courier it’s a good place to work, with sub depots all over the UK it is possible to find work close to home...

Cons

A big company that is sometimes hard to communicate with on a personal level...

PR & Social Media Executive

Thanks for sharing a review of working with Hermes, it's great that you see Hermes as a positive place to work. If you have anything you'd like to discuss, you can email us on glassdoor@hermes-europe.co.uk

2. 3.0
      KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.self_employ-current

Very rushed but assume that's the life

16 Nov 2020 - Courier in Neath, Wales, Wales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Haven't been there long enough yet But other couriers I've spoken to are quite helpful. area managers good to get on with.

Cons

hard to get parcels delivered at specified times (but I've only just started) advise organising parcels fully before starting. Haven't been given an actual route or constant work yet, but expected as I'm just starting.

PR and social Executive

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to share your experience working for Hermes in Wales. We're sorry to read that you're having trouble delivering your parcels on time. We recommend speaking with your manager about this so they can look at providing you with a specific route to follow. All the best, GL

3. 2.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Broken!

3 Dec 2019 - Courier in Northampton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The couriers themselves are mainly hard working and try to deliver a good service to their customers.

Cons

Where to start! Firstly, the whole process is antiquated and not aimed at delivering a great service to the paying customer. Even simple items like having a scanner that works is a battle. The business priorities are clear, deliver All NEXT & AMAZON parcels at all costs as there are penalties that have to be paid if they are not delivered. If a courier has an emergency or car breakdown whilst delivering they are threatened with losing their round if the delivery of these parcels is not completed. Middle Management is very weak and have limited people skills. Promises are frequently made and then denied later. No-one will provide you with anything in writing as this creates a paper trail. I had been paid incorrectly for 5 months running before I left last week and nobody is ever bothered. I registered it through all of the correct channels and lodged a complaint and you hear nothing! I am currently in the process of taking legal action against Hermes for the 2nd time in 3 months to recover the money I am owed.

3 people found this review helpful

PR & Social Media Executive

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Hermes. We have noted all the detail which will be passed to the relevant teams. If you are still waiting for payment to be checked, please email courierpay@hermes-europe.co.uk with all the details so this can be investigated, we'd like to get this sorted as soon as possible. Best of luck for your future career, thank you.

4. 1.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Shambolic Inexperienced & Unprofessional Middle Management

14 Aug 2020 - Field Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dedicated Couriers & Delivery Unit Controllers trying to do a good job under terribly unsupported working conditions.

Cons

Middle Management Insecurity & Inexperience, No Concept of Cultivating a Strong Team, No Culture of Improvement, No Concept of Personal Growth & Reward, No Accountability (Cover your backside), Amateurish.

PR and social Executive

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to share your experience working as a field manager. We're sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your time with us and we'll pass your feedback on to the relevant team. Thanks, GL

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Lots of work for not much pay

24 Sep 2020 - Courier in Cheltenham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work day Access to Hermes 3rd party courier insurance

Cons

Pay per parcel means you're only paid when delivering and doesn't include loading your vehicle Very little support from managers to help cover rounds

Social Media Executive

Hi there. Sorry to hear that you have concerns about your pay. Please raise this the HR team who can look into this for you. We will make sure your comments are passed on to the relevant people within the business though so they are aware of tour feedback. Have a lovely weekend, SB.

6. 2.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Less than minimum wage

28 Apr 2020 - Courier in Plymouth, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexible work for lifestyle couriers

Cons

paid too little for the work done, don't pay for van or fuel expenses, rural areas are paid more per parcel however take ages so the price increase isn't worth its price in fuel. Person assisting me on my first shift threw fragile parcels onto floor. Was told that if parcels are un-deliverable just hide them by front door, or leave in a bin outside the house.

PR and social Executive

Hi there, thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience as a courier. For your recommended improvements I would suggest speaking to HR. Thanks, GL

7. 2.0
      Former Contractor, more than 3 years

Discouraging environment for intelligent employees

6 Jul 2020 - Courier in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, always need new couriers.

Cons

Field service team only interested in keeping things going.

PR and social Executive

Thanks for sharing your experience working as a courier at the Bradford depot. We're sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your experience with us and we'll pass this on the to relevant team. Take care and we wish you all the best for your future career!

8. 1.0

AVOID THIS COMPANY

16 Nov 2019 - Courier Driver in Exeter, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Chatting to the other couriers at the depot nothing else positive about this job.

Cons

Works out about £3 an hour for a rural route. No proper training given so you have to find houses yourself in remote areas where you cant get a signal to google them!!!! Wear and tear on your own vehicle My invoice was wrong so I was well underpaid. Nothing on it for collections. You get paid per parcel delivered so if you cant deliver you dont get paid for it. You've still spent your own money on fuel to get there. No fuel allowance. Driving to the depot to get your parcels which takes about an hour by the time you've scanned and loaded them you do for free then you have to design the route yourself to deliver them not great for new couriers who have no idea what order to put them in or where the houses are.

2 people found this review helpful

PR & Social Media Executive

Thanks for sharing a review of Hermes, it's great to know you enjoyed working with the other couriers at the depot. However, it's really disappointing to read the rest of your review about your experience of working with Hermes, you should already know that Hermes has launched SE+, a new employment model which allows couriers to enjoy a guaranteed rate of pay, holiday pay and other benefits. Alternatively, couriers can choose to keep the flexibility of their current status. If you'd like to get in touch with more details so we can discuss this with you, you can email us on glassdoor@hermes-europe.co.uk, thank you.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Had to try it for myself

7 Mar 2020 - Courier Driver in Paisley, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Other courier drivers are the only positive about this company.

Cons

My round covered 47 miles on one shift and I earned £3.00

PR & Social Media Executive

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's disappointing to read your comments which we don't feel are a true representation of Hermes. You should be aware that we have now launched SE+ which allows couriers to enjoy a guaranteed rate of pay, holiday pay and other benefits - Hermes will also find cover for time booked off as holiday, so you don't need to, if you'd like to find out more, please get in touch with the Field Manager or the Courier Support Team. If you have any immediate concerns about your role or pay, please speak to a manager as soon as possible or email glassdoor@hermes-europe.co.uk so we can help.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR HERMES FOR 2 MONTHS BUT I DID NOT RECEIVED ANY PAYMENT!!!

19 May 2020 - Courier in Hemel Hempstead, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexible work for lifestyle couriers

Cons

Average pay per parcel is 59 p

PR and social Executive

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to share your review. With regards to your pay, I would suggest speaking to HR so they can resolve your pay issue. Thanks, GL

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 Reviews