Hiscox "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hiscox Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 7 Jan 2020

4.2
Hiscox CEO Bronislaw Edmund Masojada
Bronislaw Edmund Masojada
Pros
  • "The work life balance is perfect as well(in 41 reviews)

• "The work environment and employees engagement are always on the top list as also as our growth(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "there are no cons for me right now, others may have a different view(in 7 reviews)

• "They train really good underwriters but struggle retaining them(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Review Headline"

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team work and work life balance.

Cons

Long working hours as expected in audit, but not as hectic as in the big 4.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Hiscox2019-10-17
  2. "Good people, good company to work for"

Current Employee - Internal Audit in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- At Hiscox you are surrounded by good people - Leading company in insurance - Decent social side - Many office locations globally so (depending on the role) good travel opportunities - Good work/life balance

Cons

- IT systems not the quickest

Hiscox2019-10-08
  3. "Best company I have worked for"

Current Employee - Multi-Disciplined Designer in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working for Hiscox for the last three months and it's been a great pleasure and experience for me. People are so friendly and open-minded. It's a fantastic environment and relaxed atmosphere without much stress and pressure. The work/life balance is good and considered by the management. Very tolerant people and managers who want you to succeed and value their team members. Company with great culture, values and opportunities.

Cons

I haven't found any for now.

Advice to Management

Keep the same good work and value your people.

Hiscox2019-06-28
  4. "Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hiscox is a great company to work for with fantastic benefits. I love the core values and culture here as you don't feel like a number. Everyone is very approachable and collaborative. The work life balance is perfect as well.

Cons

The only thing that needs improving is the claims system and this is on their radar anyway.

Advice to Management

Hiscox value their staff and it shows so don't change the culture!

Hiscox2019-06-25
  5. "Silicon valley type of company in the insurance world!"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture at Hiscox is entrepreneurial, dynamic, thriving for excellence and innovation and overall very millennial i.e. fast paced and very flexible in terms of work - life balance! IT systems are great, training offered is amazing and people are all easy going and chilled but at same time ambitious, determined and hard working. Lots of internal employee networks such as 'Parents at Hiscox', 'Women at Hiscox', 'LGBTQI at Hiscox' etc. Diversity and equality are taken very seriously. Lots of charity events employees can participate to and are encouraged to participate. Very strong culture. Lots of opportunities for career progression.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment and intellectually challenging so if you are laid back and do not see hard work as a priority, it might not be the environment for you ...

Advice to Management

None so far

Hiscox2019-06-10

"Amazing place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for less than a year

Pros

Autonomy Self-development culture Continually evolving Unafraid to try new things Friendly, caring and considerate staff with a focus on excellent work/life balance

Cons

Meetings for meeting sake - they should be set at 30 mins maximum Complex structure means there can be too many stakeholders on certain projects slowing progress IT - not enough investment in the systems needed for people to do their job

Advice to Management

Set all meetings to be 30mins and stop people becoming too wordy Invest more in It - everyone is computer based so having the best technology will enable us to be better Keep up the "Hiscox culture" its excellent

Hiscox2019-05-09

"My first six months at Hiscox"

Current Employee - Claims in Colchester, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for less than a year

Pros

The welcoming into Hiscox was amazing, and still to this day the new people I meet along the way are always open to conversation, no matter where they are placed within the business. The work/life balance is highly considered and the staff are regularly involved in sessions to ensure this continues to improve. There is a real family culture within the office. You are encouraged to develop and to take control of your own choices. There are lots of social gatherings and you do not feel pressured to attend. You're well looked after and health and well-being is high on the list of things Hiscox believes is important for its staff. You are provided with a subsidised gym membership, health policies and are also provided with fresh fruit, juice and bread. Overall, I love my job here at Hiscox and I'd struggle to find a company that could compete.

Cons

Parking at Colchester, dreary looking office but overall, no bad points

Advice to Management

Keep the morale as high as it is and continue to value the employee's and what they can bring to the business.

Hiscox2019-05-02
  8. "A friendly place to work with competent people"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, good leadership and communication, work life balance and good contractor rates.

Cons

Systems and processes have not kept up with growth of the company but this is why the business is transforming and why they have a number of transformation programmes, employing many contractors. Also, the culture in transformation projects will not necessarily always reflect the positive Hiscox culture owing to an abundance of consultancies and contractors. Also, Hiscox has not reached the maturity in terms of change management like other big organisations and this can sometimes pose challenges in terms not applying best practice and the appropriate level of governance.

Advice to Management

Invest more in developing Change Management leadership and a consistent project management framework across the business.

Hiscox2019-04-26
  9. "Great work life balance and team"

Current Employee - Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hiscox emphasize on having a work life balance and are certainly fair with how they implement it. Everyone is really friendly and approachable and my team in particular who I work closely with have been very supportive in the 7 months I have been here so far. Good location (Windy! but not hiscoxs fault). New roles always popping up so progression is there if you want it.

Cons

there are no cons for me right now, others may have a different view. If I had to be picky and find one thing I would say sometimes the workload can get busy and on top of you especially when covering colleagues who are away so need to find a way to fix that.

Advice to Management

In the area I work in, there's nothing major to improve, all good!

Hiscox2019-04-05

"Disengaged workforce"

Current Employee - Group Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Hiscox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance Good learning opportunities

Cons

Politics, politics, politics Progression only for those who shout the loudest - or are favoured by the people who have authority. Disengaged workforce is just getting worse. Terrible management across the business.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the ground to make decisions, do not make decisions and then force them on people when they won’t work. Practice what you preach - if you expect people in the business to behave a certain way, you should display these behaviours/traits yourself.

Hiscox2019-03-23