Hitachi Capital (UK) Reviews

Found 137 of over 146 reviews

4.4
Hitachi Capital (UK) Chief Executive Officer Robert Gordon
Robert Gordon
Pros
  • "The environment is fast paced and offers plenty of opportunities for you to develop and help the company to also develop(in 6 reviews)

• "Great People delivering great customer service(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management lack direction which is both stressful and confusing for staff(in 4 reviews)

• "A long way to go with digitisation as still heavily reliant on paper(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Looks after its staff during difficult times

Jan 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the company about 4 years now, and they've always worked hard to support colleagues, but I've really seen the best of HCUK the last 12 months as we've been impacted by the national lockdown. There's been an incredible level of support from the business for all its staff. When the lockdown occurred in March the company went to extraordinary lengths to ensure that everyone was set up to work from home. No one was furloughed, even during an initial dip in business. The whole company pulled together to support each other and customers. The CEO, Robert, was very visible - leading with regular communications to update everyone on what was happening, from regular emails to large-scale video conferences with everyone in the company, to make sure that we were up to date with the ever shifting situation. During some of the sad news we've faced this year he's been empathetic and very human, displaying his own honest emotions in step with everyone else. People from across the company have come together to support each other too - from organising video yoga at desks to workshops on topics from the menopause to dealing with stress. Even though we've lost some of the local community of local offices, it feels like the company-wide community at Hitachi Capital UK has bloomed. The company has also been very practical, making sure staff are financially looked after, aware of what's happening and always have access to the latest information. I've always enjoyed working at HCUK. But the last year has shown me what a special place it really is. There's honestly nowhere else I'd want to be working at a time of crisis.

Cons

Before the pandemic culture could be slow to move forward and modernise. But the action that they've taken to tackle the situation has showed how agile we can be as a company.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company, with some truly brilliant people, solid ethics, and sincere leadership

Jul 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership appear to be genuinely concerned for the staff. The strategy appears designed around ethics as well as profit. Communication around the company from senior leadership has improved dramatically over the past year. Their recruitment ensures a high calibre of staff, with a genuine desire for team cohesion and harmony. The work is challenging but rewarding. The remuneration packages are competitive in the area - including an annual bonus scheme (I've been with the company for 7 years, and it's always been awarded, every year), generous pension contributions, home-working/flexible working (role specific), and impressive offices. The company culture is visibly promoted from the top, and adopted at all levels. Since the pandemic, the work-life balance has become perfect - ubiquitous, voluntary home-working means that everyone can manage it to their own tastes. Inclusion and diversity are targeted and celebrated in group communications, and participation is encouraged across the company.

Cons

Personal development is laborious, opaque, cumbersome and slow-moving. Promotion opportunities are extremely rare, and incredibly difficult to carve out or secure. Attempts to seek out promotion are always enthusiastically received, but then stymied and held back by strategy-justifications and red-tape. Personal development plans are constricted by the company objectives; there doesn't appear to be much senior incentive to improve this. Furthermore, each person has an annual training budget, but it is capped at £400 per person per year (this is very poor - if you're working in a technical role, then this barely pays for a textbook - roughly equivalent to half a day of professional training!)

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good business to work for

Sep 4, 2021 - Credit Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly team and growing business.

Cons

Location of business. Very busy and number driven. Due to this no real time to work on personal development.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to leave a candid review, we really appreciate it. We're hoping our new hybrid approach to working means the location isn't such an issue for you when we do begin to return to the office. In terms of busyness and personal development, we recommend you share your concern with your line manager. We have definitely exceeded our anticipated business volumes this year so far, and the business is actively recruiting in every division to help keep pace so that should help teams find a better balance between delivery and development. Thanks again for for your feedback. Your HR Team

4. 4.0

great people, positive culture

Aug 18, 2021 - IT Architect in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hitachi has some great people and a positive culture. The values (harmony, sincerity and pioneering spirit) are evident in day to day work and the company is genuinely committed to sustainability and social responsibility. Salary is competitive and bonuses have been paid every year recently (subject to individual performance) even through recession and pandemic. Pension contribution and holiday are also pretty good, and since one business unit specialises in vehicle leasing the company car scheme is very generous. The company is quite laid back for a corporate in financial services so there's a decent amount of flexibility (dependent on role). Leadership are good at recognising people's hard work.

Cons

Finding time for personal development can be a challenge although it is encouraged. The harder technical challenges are outsourced, which could be a pro or a con depending on your outlook.

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your thoughtful review, you've shared some great points about our culture and values. We would encourage you to speak with your manager about finding time for personal development, as this is an important part of our commitment to colleagues. Thanks again, Your HR Team

5. 1.0
      Former Employee

Terrible

Jul 20, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice drinks machines in the cafe area

Cons

Horrible toxic environment, really traumatic experience working here,

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

An amazing company that makes you feel secure, stable and worthy

Jun 3, 2021 - Support Advisor in Saint Charles, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get a lot of people moaning about how businesses could do better. There is not much more that Hitachi could do better on. Hitachi really look after its employers , they provide them with a sense of stability and security . I have been through one rescission with Hitachi to which they looked after there employers. Over the last year the company has shown more than ever that your just not a number but they actually care for peoples mental health - which at times its been needed. They have great bonus schemes - if your in the office there are lots of events and the atmosphere can be a real buzz. Many "wow" moments and lots of laughter. I am grateful for Robert Gordon for daily/weekly /monthly updating us through unknown times during the covid shut down - great asset to the company . IT help is constantly available - they do a great job! I am proud to say I a work here - over the last 13 years I have been given the same opportunities as my male colleagues. My voice is always listened to. The support from my manager is second to none. Chances to progress.

Cons

Training needs to be more thorough for the new starters , as it seems rushed especially customer service . There are very few cons. I have worked here for 13 years and I would never work somewhere where I was miserable. Its a great company to work for and i am very lucky to be able to do what i do.

7. 5.0

A great place to grow

May 14, 2021 - Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have personally experienced great opportunities at Hitachi Capital after being at the company for 6 years. In that time I've held 4 different roles, 3 of which have been promotions. Hitachi Capital is a great company to work for who really know how to look after their staff even through tough periods such as Covid-19.

Cons

Sometimes bureaucracy can cause complications and delay logical business decisions for the benefit of the company. The business needs to look at empowering people more through greater training and giving employees greater responsibility.

8. 5.0

Great Company

May 14, 2021 - Relationship Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, excellent benefits and care about employees.

Cons

The only downside over the last year has obviously been the pandemic and the fact that we cannot see our colleagues.

9. 5.0

Fantastic place to work

Apr 30, 2021 - Credit Analyst in Newbury, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee benefits Friendly staff Supportive management Flexible working

Cons

You may never leave Hitachi

10. 5.0

A good place to work

Apr 28, 2021 - Risk Management in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay / benefits and good sense of direction & feeling of importance

Cons

Coffee machines are not the best

Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we do appreciate it. It's good to see you feel there's a good sense of direction and that you feel valued. We recommend speaking to your local facilities team about the coffee machines - hopefully they'll be able to help. Your HR Team

Viewing 1 - 10 of 137 Reviews