Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people" (in 21 reviews)

• "Employee wellbeing and work/life balance" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Call centre very separate to the rest of the company" (in 9 reviews)

• "High expectations, sometime difficult to get work/life balance" (in 3 reviews)

1. "I miss it!"

Former Employee - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England
    Former Employee - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great career progression - if you're willing to work for it. I began in the Contact Center and worked my way up to the SEO team. I worked hard in order to move up, but I'd argue that's exactly how it should be. What's more I felt my hard work was rewarded.
    I always felt like I was trusted in my role, which makes a huge difference to work output. Your ideas are always listened to, and if possible, people give you that opportunity to make it happen.
    In addition, HX genuinely cares about it's employees - both in their working and personal lives.
    I really miss HX and really enjoyed my time with the company.

Cons

Having started in the Contact Center, I know how tough that area of the business can be in comparison to the rest of the business due to the nature of the work however I do think that they are treated far better than other people in the same line of work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - keep pushing the values, maintain the culture as best you can and keep looking for ways to treat your staff because happy staff definitely makes for a successful company.

2. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great community spirit and benefits!

Cons

Pay is lower than it should be

3. "How work should be!"

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Development and progression opportunities
    Employee wellbeing and work/life balance
    Benefits and profit share
    Innovation and growth of business
    Great teams, values and culture

Cons

Basic pay could be better against market-it’s fair but not competitive
    Leadership could work more strategically and effectively as a team-too in the operational detail of individual areas

Advice to Management

Stick to the great growth strategy in place and don’t be afraid to transform and change the business for the better to achieve this. Trust in the amazing teams you have!

4. "Good Employer"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Really care about you and what you think about the company

Cons

Can be somewhat dry in the call centre

Holiday Extras Response

23 Oct 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for your review. It’s great to hear your feedback about caring for our team. Our amazing people are key to our ability to provide the best service to our customers so investing time to make... More

"Great place to develop and learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy it when I am working with Matthew our CEO, he's energetic, creative and really cares about our customers. You can also tell he really cares about me and my family.

There are some really talented people in the business, many have grown up with the business and been promoted along the way so there's a real depth of experience and knowledge.

The work environment is fantastic. Lovely campus, the best office I've ever worked in, gives a real buzz and collaboration is the norm due to the layout of the space.

People are respectful of your personal time. Email chatter is kept to a minimum out of hours and it's possible to switch off, recharge and come back in full of energy every day.

The business has a clear purpose which I really relate to: making sure our customers have less hassle and more holiday. Love that.

There's a really clear "can do" attitude and it's a vibrant, fun place to work. Lots of opportunity to get involved in projects, initiatives and mix with people from different teams.

Personal development is encouraged and supported; I feel like I've learned a lot here and will continue to do so. I can see myself staying for a long time.

Cons

Not really a con as such but you do need be prepared to get stuck in to figure out how things work and how you can get things done, it suits someone who is prepared to apply themselves and have a go, try things, be brave. You won't always be shown the way, you have to find the way.

Advice to Management

Keep on focussing on the customer and caring for the team; it's what makes HX such as special place to work.

Holiday Extras Response

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Caring for our team and our customers is paramount to who we are so we’re pleased to hear this feedback.

We agree, we are so fortunate to have... More

"Travel consultant"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Amazing company, lots of benefits, profit share, free bbqs, parties, well being week, Christmas and Halloween dress up, birthday off as paid

Cons

Call centre very separate to the rest of the company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing - I miss it!

7. "Management - Holiday Extras"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great staff benefits, constant support, understanding management team.

Cons

Communication is not always proactive

"Brilliant company to work for!"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday Extras helps you to become the best you can be, with lots of opportunities to progress within the call centre. It is a very positive company to work for with lots of fun events to involve everyone and you always feel supported and guided within your job role.

Cons

Full timers still work at least 1 day most weekends however we can work mobile so can work from home so this doesn't make this as bad

"HX: it's all about people"

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many positives about working at HX, you can sometimes and forget and take for granted that they’re not available at many other companies. Their approach to flexible working is hugely valuable - it means I can balance having a family and a job and not feel guilty about it. It’s not just the convenience it offers but also the sense of trust and value you feel, knowing that you have the freedom to manage your own time and work. It also means I’m working when I’m most productive, which is good for everyone.

Playing to your strengths and interests is key at HX and I’ve definitely benefited from this, being involved in some interesting and fulfilling projects that really stretch and develop you. When I’ve had a passion or idea that I want to pursue, I’ve always been encouraged and supported - we’re not afraid to experiment at HX which is hugely satisfying.

The move to company and team OKRs over the past year has really provided much needed clarity on our business priorities. In my team in particular, we’ve seen some tangible strides in projects we’ve been working on and it’s a great way of bringing everyone together to achieve common goals. HX never rests on its laurels and is always looking to improve.

HX’s biggest pro however are its people. If you ever need help with someone, there is always one or more willing to help - that doesn’t happen everywhere and the effect of this can’t be underestimated. The fantastic team events that HX puts on really fosters this, the recent HX party and fireworks being a perfect example of this.

Cons

We work fast at HX - it means we get things done which is great for everyone, especially our customers. Prioritising can some times be an issue although we're getting better now we've moved to using OKRS.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain the culture of trust that exists at HX and keep encouraging managers to empower their teams to play to their strengths. We have some fantastic talent and expertise and by continuing supporting and developing them in this way means they and the business can continue to be successful and grow.

10. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Flexible working
    Focus on wellbeing
    Great office environment
    Opportunities for development
    Care about their employees

Cons

Communication around the business could be better at times.