Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people" (in 21 reviews)

• "Employee wellbeing and work/life balance" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Call centre very separate to the rest of the company" (in 9 reviews)

• "High expectations, sometime difficult to get work/life balance" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great people"

Current Employee - SEO in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - SEO in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great friendly environment, great work life balance

Cons

Not clearly defined career path

Advice to Management

Define learning and career path for each role to keep the best talents

2. "I miss it!"

Former Employee - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England
    Former Employee - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great career progression - if you're willing to work for it. I began in the Contact Center and worked my way up to the SEO team. I worked hard in order to move up, but I'd argue that's exactly how it should be. What's more I felt my hard work was rewarded.
    I always felt like I was trusted in my role, which makes a huge difference to work output. Your ideas are always listened to, and if possible, people give you that opportunity to make it happen.
    In addition, HX genuinely cares about it's employees - both in their working and personal lives.
    I really miss HX and really enjoyed my time with the company.

Cons

Having started in the Contact Center, I know how tough that area of the business can be in comparison to the rest of the business due to the nature of the work however I do think that they are treated far better than other people in the same line of work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - keep pushing the values, maintain the culture as best you can and keep looking for ways to treat your staff because happy staff definitely makes for a successful company.

3. "Fun, challenging and friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Agile Coach in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Agile Coach in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked here for three years now and have no intention of leaving. Holiday Extras is the best company I've worked for due to the great atmosphere and culture they work hard to create.

It's a fun place to work with all the extras they give you (BBQs, birthdays off, constant treats and rewards) but that's a small part of why I love it here.

Whilst it's fun, there's no shortage of hard work and challenging targets to meet which stretch and get the best out of you. They work hard to make sure you're on the right career path and will assist in any training or support you need to succeed. There are so many departments that you can easily try out another career path on a secondment if you're curious.

They've just completed a fantastic new building and facilities including showers which shows they're dedicated to improving and supporting staff.

They're incredibly family friendly. Having just come back from Maternity Leave, I was worried asking for reduced hours and more flexibility in terms of needing to work from home or leave if the kids were sick but their Anytime Anywhere policy means I can just catch up out of hours and leave immediately if necessary. I've never had a problem with any discrimination due to being a mother - if anything I'm actually given a lot more freedom to do what I need!

Cons

They're still working on the pay structure and clarity around that, but it's improved in the past few months. As with any company there are the usual problems with certain individuals and management styles but overall these get addressee quickly if they're really issues.

As the company is growing, the culture is unfortunately getting diluted so that's something everyone needs to work hard at to keep.

Advice to Management

Listen to your experts, keep pushing us to succeed and continue working on the pathways work to clarify salaries and progression.

"Clicky"

Pros

BBQs in the summer, fun activities when you’re allowed to take part.

Cons

Very clicky business, it’s not what you know it’s who you know. Impossible targets and high turn over of staff, you feel constantly stressed and next to no support. Expect no work/life balance.

5. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great community spirit and benefits!

Cons

Pay is lower than it should be

6. "How work should be!"

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Development and progression opportunities
    Employee wellbeing and work/life balance
    Benefits and profit share
    Innovation and growth of business
    Great teams, values and culture

Cons

Basic pay could be better against market-it’s fair but not competitive
    Leadership could work more strategically and effectively as a team-too in the operational detail of individual areas

Advice to Management

Stick to the great growth strategy in place and don’t be afraid to transform and change the business for the better to achieve this. Trust in the amazing teams you have!

7. "Great, but always room for improvement"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Holiday Extras has a great attitude to accommodating staff welfare – most particularly flexible working hours when it comes to making appointments, last-minute family priorities and general life admin that doesn't warrant taking holiday. The people are generally great and the company has a good overall culture when it comes to balancing work and personal commitments.

Cons

For all the benefits, flexibility, training and fun activities available to staff, sometimes you just want a salary and/or job title that reflects and rewards your contribution to the business fairly, because as wonderful as summer BBQs may be, they certainly don't pay the mortgage.

Pay and progression seem to be a very taboo subject despite the forward and progressive attitudes in other areas of the business.

Advice to Management

Pay reviews and the progression of staff needn't be shrouded in mystery – open up the system and bring clarity to your benchmarking process. The secrecy is frustrating and leads to contempt, and I'm sure even resentment in some cases, which should never be the case.

Furthermore, invest in developing the skills of your staff rather than relying so heavily and willingly upon external resources. Leaders are more readily and widely respected when they're seen to earn their position on their merit.

Also, more diversity on the board of directors is always welcomed.

Aside from all the above, you've got a great thing going and I was very sad to leave when I did. I'd 100% consider working here again in the future if the opportunity arose and you wanted me back.

23 Oct 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for taking time to leave this review. We really pride ourselves on supporting our team in balancing their working and personal lives so pleased to hear your comments about our culture... More

8. "Good Employer"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Really care about you and what you think about the company

Cons

Can be somewhat dry in the call centre

23 Oct 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for your review. It’s great to hear your feedback about caring for our team. Our amazing people are key to our ability to provide the best service to our customers so investing time to make... More

"Disappointed"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

struggling to find any pros at the moment, only thing really is the healthcare and a BBQ and firework display,

Cons

People team are unable to provide any real support and seem unclear of what the job entails. There is a lot of lip service and not much action. There is very little respect unless you choose to be a yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir type of person. You cannot have your own opinions as if you do you will be pushed to leave and stand absolutely no chance of progression. There is a very big boys club within the hierachy of the company. It is shocking that if you are not a member of staff there are more benefits and discounts, would like to have thought that they would rather provide job satisfaction and a decent profit share as this dwindled considerably regardless of how hard we seem to work

Advice to Management

Start allowing good honest people the chance to thrive. There seems to be lots of decisions that are based purely about money rather than the best outcome for both customers and staff. Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself and not like they are just a number and you will find staff retention will grom

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

We’re really sorry to hear this feedback - we don’t want anyone to feel this way about working at Holiday Extras. Particularly as you are a current HXer, we’d really like to open a dialogue with you... More

"Great in so many ways, but not as progressive as they think..."

Former Employee - Senior Role in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Senior Role in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVED my time here, but it's not without its faults.

My actual role was brilliant within the creative team, I loved the flexibility, team support, and how transparent the company was with goals and objectives.

Progression is there to an extent if you're hungry and willing to adapt to the business needs, but you will find the ceiling quickly.

Cons

Money.
    Every single time I was promoted, I was given a below standard pay rise. So in effect, I was working a year on a previous pay and having to 'prove' myself to actually get the pay I deserved. Money isn't everything but not being paid fairly for your role isn't acceptable. I was only eventually paid the industry standard on deciding to leave. There's also an unsaid issue of hiring new staff in on higher wages than then current staff too...
    The constant business agenda changes are expected, but hiring consultants constantly who actually aren't good at what they do, and then demanding your staff follow this persons 'vision' is undermining the experts you've employed who actually know what they're doing!
    If you're a woman, you won't do as well here. I never realised it much, but as time went on and I fort my way up the ladder you can see it more clearly.

Advice to Management

Believe in your staff, and stop making decisions just based on profit. Yes, some of these decisions may make you lose some money in the short term, but you'll gain in the long term (Just look at Nike, the new demographic shift has paid off!) ... and please, stop hiring consultants that say 'YES' to everything to please you, it's the people who aren't afraid to go against you that you should listen to as they actually care about the business.
    The culture is great, but you'll continue to lose your staff over pay. If we can afford our mortgage or basic bills that BBQ isn't going to make any difference and is going to make us distracted at work over stress. Flexibility, and working remotely are now more common place, so you need to refine your overall offering to keep people.

I can't stress this enough, Matt is brilliant, he cares and is passionate, but you need to think about these cons, they're simple to fix, but they're also the reason people continue to leave and help other businesses thrive.

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for leaving a review. We’re pleased to hear that you loved your time at Holiday Extras - this is our aim for every person who works here. We were however sad to hear about some of the... More