Holiday Extras "call centre" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Holiday Extras Employee Reviews about "call centre"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Employer"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Really care about you and what you think about the company

Cons

Can be somewhat dry in the call centre

23 Oct 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for your review. It’s great to hear your feedback about caring for our team. Our amazing people are key to our ability to provide the best service to our customers so investing time to make... More

"Travel consultant"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Amazing company, lots of benefits, profit share, free bbqs, parties, well being week, Christmas and Halloween dress up, birthday off as paid

Cons

Call centre very separate to the rest of the company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing - I miss it!

"Sales specialist shortbreaks"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Smeeth, England
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Smeeth, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free use an Apple MacBook although they’re usually really old model

Cons

The call centre is regarded as the bottom rung of the ladder. You get timed going to the toilet and if you take more than 4 minutes on of the female team leaders literally screams at you for taking to long and to get back to work in front of your entire colleagues
    You get excluded from any of the bbq or fun stuff during your shift. You will rarely & in some cases never get to go to the weekly team briefings which is bizarre as you’re the only direct customer role so should know the changes to the websites before the customers?!!! However holiday extras rely on thier middle management too much to rely important information when this doesn’t in reality happen
    If your face fits you will be fine but for most you just get bullied work long miserable shifts and lose your self belief
    Don’t work there unless you’re not in a call centre role

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring the bullying. Alot of people state this as the reason for leaving yet you still allow it to continue

"Travel Consultant at Holiday Extras."

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HX really do have a lot of things right as a company, from equipping and trusting everyone with Apple Macbook laptops that can be used at home for personal use as well as work to spontaneous summer BBQ's to amazing fireworks displays offering free food and beverages for all staff members and their families.
    The training is second-to-none, quite possibly the best I've had going into any new job, the trainers really care and the setup/methods used really installed confidence before going on the phones.
    Finally the people are really what makes HX the place it is, the people I have met in all job roles from CC(contact centre) staff to the CEO himself are friendly, fun and really great people, I honestly cannot name or think of one person I dislike.

Cons

Now for the not so goods, and there are a few I'm sad to say.

Firstly, there is an apparent divide between the majority of the company and the CC. There are many fun things that go on that often CC staff find ourselves the only ones that cant participate as we mustn't leave our post on the phones.

Almost all areas seem to have an hour lunch where they can partake once again in several activities, we are limited to just half an hour. I personally don't mind the half an hour lunch break, but fail to understand why there are different standards between different areas.

Working hours - now this really is an issue that I and 90% of CC staff I speak to are unhappy with. Up until recently we worked a standard 8 hour day 5 days per week as full time members which seems quite common in call centre work, no issues there, however now we are expected to work 8 hours and 45 mins for 4 days, whilst having one "half day" usually in the afternoon which throws a lot of peoples daily chores/plans after work out the window. Whilst 45 minutes may seem somewhat trivial, there was no real communication down to CC staff other than receiving our weekly rota with the new shifts in place. CC staff are the only ones expected to work these shifts whilst managers, the planning team and all other roles in the hierarchy remain on the same shifts as before, a classic case of expecting the bottom rung to do things that they wont themselves.
    Finally I have seen MANY people leave recently, people who were long term fixtures in HX as a result of many of the points already stated, quite simply they had enough. Other members are actively looking to leave, with myself also looking down avenues away from HX. When I started at HX I was sold on the fact they pride themselves as a company on staff progression and work/life balance, but as far as progression goes, I see a LOT of "external appointments" over people who have given everything for the company because obviously externals better right? And the work/life balance, it was great but small things are slowly taking away from this and it saddens me to write this as I genuinely loved the workplace when I first started.

Advice to Management

Although CC staff are bottom rung, and we understand this, we don't need to be made to feel like we are. It would be nice to be treated with as much importance as other roles are, we are at the forefront of the business after all.

14 Dec 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate your honesty. We were saddened to read that you have concerns and we’d like to help you regain some of the great feeling you had... More

"Brilliant company to work for!"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday Extras helps you to become the best you can be, with lots of opportunities to progress within the call centre. It is a very positive company to work for with lots of fun events to involve everyone and you always feel supported and guided within your job role.

Cons

Full timers still work at least 1 day most weekends however we can work mobile so can work from home so this doesn't make this as bad

"Travel Consultant"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The other travel consultants! I made a lot of friends. Shame most of them have left now. Bbqs, firework displays, parties, hx xmas day, not that the contact centre gets to attend any of these things.

Cons

So being in the CC ( contact centre) you are bottom rung in HX, and they make you feel it! The CC miss out most of the " fun Hx experience" because the organ grinder won't let anyone have time off the phones.
    HX have lost a shed load of fantastic talent within a year just because of poor management! I actually cannot count how many good team players who have been at HX for a number of years all jacked it in. The travel consultants are over worked and under valued. The targets are a joke and customer service has slipped.
     HX are very good at training you up to go for a job thats coming up, then going with a complete outsider, many people have fallen for this! Leaving people feeling deflated and unappreciated.
    It used to be such a lovely place to work and I used to love it; but no one seems to be questioning why they are losing staff?
    Why are they losing key players and big personalities?
    Because CC management changing has made people hate coming to work...
    Why would you get rid of whole team from the call centre? One minute they saying we should really push car hire and transfer, the next the whole team has been disbanded! Its safe to say they all left the company rather then go back to airport.
    The CC now feels tired, lifeless, its a sad place,where people are constantly worried about the safety of their jobs, forced to work ridiculous hours for an average pay. Where favouritism and bullying are rife!! Its very sad.
    Lets just say that the HX values and ideals are a fairytale, nothing more. Apart from the villians because they are quite a few of those!

Advice to Management

Sort the CC out!

11 Dec 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear some of your feedback and wanted to respond to some of the specific points raised.
    As a fast-paced business there will always be... More

"Travel consultant call centre"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get given an Apple Mac laptop, give good pay and good benefits. Luckily I had lovely people on my team. Shame the jobs AWFUL

Cons

If you work in the call centre your treated horrifically in every way... if you have an angry customer there is a department trained to take those calls yet they tell you to deal with it yourself! Clearly don’t do they’re job properly... unrealistic targets and awful one to one training. ( if you actually got the once a week/ once a month training they say your meant to) They don’t care about you as long as they’re making money. Very unsociable hours. Had the worst time working there and would not recommend it in the slightest

Advice to Management

Do a better job...

1 Nov 2017 – Associate People Director

This feedback makes us really sad as this is not the experience that we want people to have. As a fast paced, customer focused business, people are at the heart of what we do and we strive to help... More

8. "Positive and uplifting working environment"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

For call centre work the company make you feel important and create a good working environment. The culture of the company is also very good.

Cons

Working on the phones can sometimes be repetitive but that is the nature of the work.

Advice to Management

Create a clear path for those looking to progress, there are many ambitious people within the business

"Bullying environment"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

Pros

Apple lap tops nice building

Cons

Bullyin in the call centre and favouritism is rife

Advice to Management

Treat your staff as valued members of staff stop destroying them and reducing them to nervous wrecks

16 May 2017 – Associate People Director

We're really sorry to read this feedback. We have zero tolerance for bullying in any form so we'd like to understand more about your concerns and how we can resolve them. The People Team are always... More

"Shortbreaks Call Centre"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smeeth, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smeeth, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Supportive environment with good opportunities to progress and get on in the team or in other teams around the business if thats what you want. Recognition is always readily available for a job well done so you want to do your best as you know it wont go unnoticed. Good benefits, especially if you are in the call centre.

Cons

Equipment (computers etc) is sometimes not up to standard.

Advice to Management

Keep recognising people as it drives them to do even better.