Holiday Extras "work from home" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Holiday Extras Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun, challenging and friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Agile Coach in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Agile Coach in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked here for three years now and have no intention of leaving. Holiday Extras is the best company I've worked for due to the great atmosphere and culture they work hard to create.

It's a fun place to work with all the extras they give you (BBQs, birthdays off, constant treats and rewards) but that's a small part of why I love it here.

Whilst it's fun, there's no shortage of hard work and challenging targets to meet which stretch and get the best out of you. They work hard to make sure you're on the right career path and will assist in any training or support you need to succeed. There are so many departments that you can easily try out another career path on a secondment if you're curious.

They've just completed a fantastic new building and facilities including showers which shows they're dedicated to improving and supporting staff.

They're incredibly family friendly. Having just come back from Maternity Leave, I was worried asking for reduced hours and more flexibility in terms of needing to work from home or leave if the kids were sick but their Anytime Anywhere policy means I can just catch up out of hours and leave immediately if necessary. I've never had a problem with any discrimination due to being a mother - if anything I'm actually given a lot more freedom to do what I need!

Cons

They're still working on the pay structure and clarity around that, but it's improved in the past few months. As with any company there are the usual problems with certain individuals and management styles but overall these get addressee quickly if they're really issues.

As the company is growing, the culture is unfortunately getting diluted so that's something everyone needs to work hard at to keep.

Advice to Management

Listen to your experts, keep pushing us to succeed and continue working on the pathways work to clarify salaries and progression.

2. "Good employer that genuinely cares"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people.

Cons

High pressure environment for what appears to be a relatively low salary unfortunately encourages people to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Not everything needs to be done now, sometimes it's more important to do it properly.

"A marginally better call centre...."

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, was a relaxed environment (but that's changed), home working

Cons

Poor wages, poorer wage increases.

Advice to Management

None - they know very well how to squeeze as much money as possible out of the employees.

Holiday Extras Response

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for your review. Our people are at the heart of everything we do so we’re sad to hear this feedback.

We are proud to be a Living Wage employer and have been for the past three years. As... More

"Holiday extras"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Good profit share quarterly. Option to work from home.

Cons

Management styles conflicting and not much support

Holiday Extras Response

27 Sep 2018 – Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for your feedback. We’re really glad that you liked the option to work from home. We pride ourselves on our approach to flexible working, which includes the ability to work remotely to help... More

"Couldn't work for a better company!"

Pros

- Very supportive, from senior leadership down the company genuinely cares about your wellbeing.
    - You feel trusted an empowered - trusted with office equipment at home, trusted to make decisions and not penalised if something is wrong - everything is a learning opportunity.
    - Great work life balance
    - Brilliant environment to work in, we work hard but feel relaxed and at ease at work
    - Lots of fun - the company are excellent at putting on fun events for staff and family
    - Great opportunities for development - having lots of departments in one building allows movement to play to strengths.
    - Beautiful grounds, outdoor seating areas nice when you fancy a break from the computer screen.
    - Great facilities - lounge area is fab, pool table, foosball, kitchen area with tea and coffee making supplies.
    - Flexible - working from home and flexi hours are great when needed.
    - Amazing benefits available - from pensions, to share save plans, private healthcare to social clubs we have got so many fabulous benefits available to us.

Overall I love everything about the company and have enjoyed every moment over the past 6+ years. The company make you feel so valued and support you in every aspect of life. Holiday Extras really is an amazing place to work and I feel so lucky to be here.

Cons

The heating system is strange and the office is often too warm in the summer and really cold in the winter - we can't have everything right?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

6. "Glassdoor"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay for the work that is required. Good benefits. Home working widely encouraged. Flexibility. Profit share. Great friendly people. Internal promotion for the right people.

Cons

On boarding can be a little tough on people, as there is a hierarchy system that takes a bit of getting used to if you have never experienced call centre work before.

7. "Very Enjoyable!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Always a pleasure coming into work, most days are fun - never get the feeling of wanting to take the day off. The company is very flexible letting you work how you want to, in terms of which hours you want to do and being able to work from home.
    - Great culture, lovely office with very friendly employees. Everyone seems to care about the company and want the most from it.
    - Leadership team are very accessibly and transparent. They do truly seem to care about the company.

Cons

- It's not the best of places if you want to advance your career and salary is too low for the industry.
    - The benefits are pretty bad. Lack of health or dental insurance unless you've been there for many years. No gym discounts (even though they say they have). You only get 20 days holiday per year (+1 for birthdays).
    - Overall, the company do try their best but seem to try and do it very cheaply. Also, the desk chairs are very bad (as a developer, this is quite important to me).

Advice to Management

It's a great company but invest more in your staff. Morale in the web team isn't amazing, you can't keep pushing for more while not giving any more back.

8. "Forward thinking"

Pros

A great company to work for. Very supportive of employee needs and are constantly looking for ways to develop the business. Regular incentives and social events. Home working catered for after satisfactory performance is proved and maintained.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a bit of a struggle to book holiday, due to the need to maintain a base level of service for customers. Not really a con, but I have found it a struggle in the past to book a particular period of time off in advance for a family holiday.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, great people, great culture. New director of tech driving change. 10% time to work on what you want. Flexible hours, work from home. Exciting new brand and approach to product happening currently.

Cons

Sometimes lacks clear leadership, but improving in this area. Somewhat of a "everything is awesome" attitude, in most ways merited but gets in the way on the couple of things that really need work. Designer to engineer ratio is poor. Physical workspace (open plan) isn't great. Lots of legacy and technical debt, although now being managed much better.

10. "Call centre agent"

Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Folkestone, England
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely office, friendly people, working from home available, laid back

Cons

Boring job, lack of structure, not a lot of room for progression.