Holiday Extras "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Holiday Extras Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great people"

Current Employee - SEO in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - SEO in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great friendly environment, great work life balance

Cons

Not clearly defined career path

Advice to Management

Define learning and career path for each role to keep the best talents

"Clicky"

Pros

BBQs in the summer, fun activities when you’re allowed to take part.

Cons

Very clicky business, it’s not what you know it’s who you know. Impossible targets and high turn over of staff, you feel constantly stressed and next to no support. Expect no work/life balance.

3. "How work should be!"

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Development and progression opportunities
    Employee wellbeing and work/life balance
    Benefits and profit share
    Innovation and growth of business
    Great teams, values and culture

Cons

Basic pay could be better against market-it’s fair but not competitive
    Leadership could work more strategically and effectively as a team-too in the operational detail of individual areas

Advice to Management

Stick to the great growth strategy in place and don’t be afraid to transform and change the business for the better to achieve this. Trust in the amazing teams you have!

"Travel Consultant at Holiday Extras."

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HX really do have a lot of things right as a company, from equipping and trusting everyone with Apple Macbook laptops that can be used at home for personal use as well as work to spontaneous summer BBQ's to amazing fireworks displays offering free food and beverages for all staff members and their families.
    The training is second-to-none, quite possibly the best I've had going into any new job, the trainers really care and the setup/methods used really installed confidence before going on the phones.
    Finally the people are really what makes HX the place it is, the people I have met in all job roles from CC(contact centre) staff to the CEO himself are friendly, fun and really great people, I honestly cannot name or think of one person I dislike.

Cons

Now for the not so goods, and there are a few I'm sad to say.

Firstly, there is an apparent divide between the majority of the company and the CC. There are many fun things that go on that often CC staff find ourselves the only ones that cant participate as we mustn't leave our post on the phones.

Almost all areas seem to have an hour lunch where they can partake once again in several activities, we are limited to just half an hour. I personally don't mind the half an hour lunch break, but fail to understand why there are different standards between different areas.

Working hours - now this really is an issue that I and 90% of CC staff I speak to are unhappy with. Up until recently we worked a standard 8 hour day 5 days per week as full time members which seems quite common in call centre work, no issues there, however now we are expected to work 8 hours and 45 mins for 4 days, whilst having one "half day" usually in the afternoon which throws a lot of peoples daily chores/plans after work out the window. Whilst 45 minutes may seem somewhat trivial, there was no real communication down to CC staff other than receiving our weekly rota with the new shifts in place. CC staff are the only ones expected to work these shifts whilst managers, the planning team and all other roles in the hierarchy remain on the same shifts as before, a classic case of expecting the bottom rung to do things that they wont themselves.
    Finally I have seen MANY people leave recently, people who were long term fixtures in HX as a result of many of the points already stated, quite simply they had enough. Other members are actively looking to leave, with myself also looking down avenues away from HX. When I started at HX I was sold on the fact they pride themselves as a company on staff progression and work/life balance, but as far as progression goes, I see a LOT of "external appointments" over people who have given everything for the company because obviously externals better right? And the work/life balance, it was great but small things are slowly taking away from this and it saddens me to write this as I genuinely loved the workplace when I first started.

Advice to Management

Although CC staff are bottom rung, and we understand this, we don't need to be made to feel like we are. It would be nice to be treated with as much importance as other roles are, we are at the forefront of the business after all.

14 Dec 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate your honesty. We were saddened to read that you have concerns and we’d like to help you regain some of the great feeling you had... More

"Your experience of your time here is what you make it."

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a chance to get involved in so much more than your role and to immerse yourself into HX life. The chance to personally develop through training is available and the flexibility of work-life balance is great. The office environment from my experience is excellent, it is genuinely engaging, interesting and fun to work here on a day to day basis.

People live and work to the values on the whole and everyone is respectful, approachable and keen to help if they can.

Cons

You are pigeonholed in a way that does not benefit you or the company, career progression in some areas is hard, (even though the company does say that they will give you opportunities this is not always the case- there is an element of 'face fitting'/ not seeing your potential).

HX cannot keep relying on it's reputation to pay less than the market.

Advice to Management

As a company HX is a great company to work for, it is not the place it was a few years ago, as we grow, keeping the culture is always so hard and with challenging marketing conditions, it needs to make clear and transparent decisions and communications about how it is going to continue to be a leader in its field and as an employer.

"The progressive image is largely an illusion"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Holiday Extras is what makes it awesome. During my time in the engineering team I met and worked with some great people. I got to attend conferences and learnt a lot.

The work life balance is pretty decent too. Flexible hours and opportunities for remote working.

Cons

You'll have little say in the product you build which is why the website looks like it does. Despite having some really talented UXUI designers and developers, the output is pretty is poor. This is entirely due to the top-down nature from the CEO/CPO.

He will override or cull almost all ideas, for example on one occasion after the team had spend weeks working on a design he sent a keynote with an extremely crude alternative and the instruction to "do that".

Sadly, the only product/design people who do well in the company are those willing to say "yes sir" and not voice an opinion, despite having more expertise.

The company claims to be agile but whilst they're bending to one person whim it never truly will be.

From a career development perspective your options are also extremely limited. Effectively your only options are to suck it up and deal with the low wage and lack of progression or leave.

Advice to Management

Value your staff and their expertise. MP take a step back and let your team do what you pay them to do.

Offer true career progression and pay what people are worth,

10 Oct 2017 – Associate People Director

Thank you for your feedback.
    We agree that our CEO is hands-on. We're a family run business and we work with a visionary and creative CEO who is willing to roll his sleeves up and work alongside the... More

"Couldn't work for a better company!"

Pros

- Very supportive, from senior leadership down the company genuinely cares about your wellbeing.
    - You feel trusted an empowered - trusted with office equipment at home, trusted to make decisions and not penalised if something is wrong - everything is a learning opportunity.
    - Great work life balance
    - Brilliant environment to work in, we work hard but feel relaxed and at ease at work
    - Lots of fun - the company are excellent at putting on fun events for staff and family
    - Great opportunities for development - having lots of departments in one building allows movement to play to strengths.
    - Beautiful grounds, outdoor seating areas nice when you fancy a break from the computer screen.
    - Great facilities - lounge area is fab, pool table, foosball, kitchen area with tea and coffee making supplies.
    - Flexible - working from home and flexi hours are great when needed.
    - Amazing benefits available - from pensions, to share save plans, private healthcare to social clubs we have got so many fabulous benefits available to us.

Overall I love everything about the company and have enjoyed every moment over the past 6+ years. The company make you feel so valued and support you in every aspect of life. Holiday Extras really is an amazing place to work and I feel so lucky to be here.

Cons

The heating system is strange and the office is often too warm in the summer and really cold in the winter - we can't have everything right?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Shortbreaks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing support and hard working teams, flexible working hours, Family orientated for a work/life balance and continued support to progress.
    Rewarded for hard work and dedication with a lot of FOOD!
    Regard for wellbeing

Cons

i need to go to the gym to shift the cake!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff as usual and implement ideas.

9. "Work hard, Play hard!"

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company culture and values
    True flexible, family friendly working based on trust, allows you to have real work/life balance
    Career progression and learning opportunities
    Benefits that you actually want and need!

Cons

Grown at such a rate that space in office is limited

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people and empower teams :)

10. "Very Good Company to work for"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, work hard/play hard, good benefits, profit share

Cons

High expectations, sometime difficult to get work/life balance

23 Nov 2016 – Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review - we're glad to hear you enjoy working here!