Holland & Barrett Retail Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Holland & Barrett Retail Reviews

Updated Oct 12, 2019

Found 333 reviews

3.3
Holland & Barrett Retail CEO Tony Buffin (no image)
Tony Buffin
Pros
Cons
  • "Still quite a lot of lone working but with progression being made hopefully this will reduce in the forseeable future(in 78 reviews)

• "its still a company so the area managers are not to be trusted(in 55 reviews)

1. "Wonderful opportunities for hard workers"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Stroud, England

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

I Started out as a 16 hour associate 2 years ago and came back to the company after a quick hiatus as a store manager. Hands down the most interesting and stimulating job of my life. My manager is brilliant and supportive as well and it really makes work life better. The best thing about this job is the knowledge you accrue to help other people. You have this training forever and can help people in your own life as... well as your own. The only thing that got me to where I am was my diligence and hard work. It literally paid off.

Cons

Can be very challenging, it is not for someone who just wants any old job. There is loads of training involved that you may need to complete on your own time, but it is so rewarding for those who enjoy and appreciate it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing and continue to listen to employees feedback to create a better work atmosphere. So many positive changes have happened since I first started and I’m excited to see more come to fruition.

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-09-15
  2. "always busy"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

the colleagues are really helpful

Cons

the traffic can build up badly

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-10-12
  3. "Not the best experience"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Middlesbrough, England

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty flexible with working hours (outside contracted) and amazing staff discounts

Cons

Way too much work needs to be done to get trained. Training is equivalent to an A-level and you are expected to achieve it in about 6 weeks so not the best if you’re a student or have responsibilities outside of a part time job. Management is pretty overbearing and harsh, doesn’t make the most comfortable working experience.

Advice to Management

Be a bit nicer! And patient.

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-10-08

"Modern Day Slavery"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, lovely team and customers, discussions about health and wellbeing

Cons

Understaffed, underpaid, overworked, made to dedicate time after work to study that wasn't paid for. Passing the test didn't guarantee a significant increase in salary. A company with great marketing skills but little understanding of importance of company culture and wellbeing of staff.

Advice to Management

Take good care of your staff so they can really care about serving your customers.

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-10-01
  5. "Wholesome yet hard"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping customers--I enjoyed this very much Good discount Learning about remedies

Cons

Loyalty Card pusishing Approaching customers Lack of flexibility around choosing hours Not being told in advance

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-09-27
  6. "Opportunity for hard workers"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Winchester, England

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In a little under 2 years, I have gone from a part time supervisor to a full-time store manager role, and not once has anyone cited "inexperience", "needing to pay your dues" etc. This has made for a brilliant work environment for me, as I love opportunity to progress and to enact change. All new exec board means there is currently no such thing as a bad idea, and little entrenched policy for policy's own sake. At... the end of my first year as a manager, recieved a 10 percent pay rise. Brilliant access to decision makers, between twice annual road shows and email, I have contact with probably 5 or 6 business directors annually, and have had changes made by 2 of them as a result of our conversations. If that doesn't show that the senior leaders have their finger on the pulse of the company, I don't know what would. As for ethics, banned all single use wipes to reduce waste. First to launch re-usable everything. No animal cruelty products anywhere in store. No GM, no irradiated goods. Fully paid for ILM qualification to add to my CV, that I get time during work to complete.

Cons

It is not a place for the faint of heart. Mandatory training on all products in store, lvl 2 nvq equivalent in first 3 months for all colleagues, lvl 3 in first 6 months for all store managers. Almost every process is being changed simultaneously, so if you like routine, that could be an issue. Personally I thrive on every day being different and the more fluid work environment, but I can see it wouldn't be for... everyone. New HR system lost lieu day tallies for all colleagues, which has affected my work life balance score. Slight lingering culture of "them vs. us" between field and head office, though this is improving with the new directors.

Advice to Management

Be more up front with new hires! It IS hard at the moment. There IS a lot of training. This misrepresentation leads to staffing shortages in some stores if the manager's are not up front at intervuew. But also be up front about the opportunity that the changes provide, and the potential for rapid progression. Finally, to knock the culture of field Vs head office on the head, get staffing during the weekend at head... office for all departments. We expect every associate, supervisor, store manager and RBM to work weekend days, why are our head office colleagues exempt? Support services that don't support all opening hours of the business is a 90's concept that should be canned in my opinion. Even if it's generic admin staff rather than department specific, I still need access to Comms team, people services, finance, payroll etc. Especiay as the first and last days of our business week are BOTH weekend days(Sunday to Saturday weeks) so problems become muc harder to resolve inside of the week with no help for day 1 and day 7.

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-09-08
  7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Central Operations in Nuneaton, England

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team work, incentive's and competitive pay. Really pleased I made the move. Lots to do and rewarding.

Cons

Must review peoples performance

Advice to Management

Reward and recognise

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-09-06

"Overworked, underpaid"

Current Employee - Deputy Manager in Middlesbrough, England

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

25% discount, double discount at Christmas. Staff

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Too much tasking that gets in the way of doing your job giving advice and selling. Want to know why your not performing when your given unrealistic tasks and time frames. Promotions are a joke, constantly wrong, things not scanning, items removed, promotion kits sent in late. Turn over of staff is massive, surrounding stores always wanting cover. The newest one is not replacing any... holiday hours or sickness so they look good financially to the detriment of staff who are now to lone work . Training has lost its way, too complicated and frightening off new starters, as the deadlines are unrealistic to complete in. Pay scales are stupid I work full time and do the same as manager but don't get paid deputy wage, I get paid the same as a part time supervisor, who doesn't have the responsibility I have. I run the store when my manager is off and get no extra. Bonuses are unobtainable as promotions are rubbish, constant out of stocks of items on offer. Unhappy customers who think it's a gimmick to get people in. Also you only get paid till 5:30 when you shut your doors, this doesn't take into account taking tills off, cashing them up, closing the system, clocking out staff and tidying hours. Half the time your leaving going on 6pm that's if you manage to get the shop actually shut on time...so that's 30mins unpaid every shift!!

Advice to Management

No incentive to be manager anymore, the stress isn't worth it. No bonuses sales are unachievable, they've even taken stock bonuses away. Even though there's been a pay increase your still underpaid for what you do!

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-09-15
  9. "Quality Place"

Former Employee - Manager in Torquay, England

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Staff morale, busy environment., in depth training

Cons

Always busy, lots to do

Advice to Management

Keep team happy to make an enjoyable place to work

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-09-02
  10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Retail Business Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great products, discounts and people. Loads of fantastic incentives always going on where you can win prizes, money or holidays! Also as the company is doing well there is job security, rare at the moment in the retail sector

Cons

Hard work, always changing so you need to be adaptable and well organised

Advice to Management

Great place to work if you like fast paced environments where everyday is different

Holland & Barrett Retail2019-09-02