Hollister Co. Model/Brand Representative Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hollister Co. CEO Mike Jeffries
Mike Jeffries

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Call in shifts were a pain too, too often if you were on call youd find that you werent needed (in 121 reviews)

• Minimum wage in NC was not worth what you had to deal with (in 265 reviews)

1. "I have worked at the company for a long time."

Current Employee - Model/Brand Representative

I have been working at Hollister Co. part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very social work environment. Everyone is around the same age (late teens to mid twenties, even the managers) so it's easy to get along with and relate to everyone.

- It's mostly a chilled/trendy workplace. Managers can be pretty relaxed and empathetic because most of them started part time.

- customers are young as well so easier to deal with mostly.

- we used to have these stressful 'call-in' shifts but they've discontinued them.

- discount 50% on triple a and 20% everything else.

Cons

- Depending on your manager, sometimes you can get very little training or guidance and yet be expected to do everything perfectly AND quickly. Sometimes it can be very stressful and taken way too seriously for a minimum wage retail job.

- sometimes you won't get scheduled at all because the more shifts you work the more you can get. Shifts are based solely on performance.

- the company as a whole has gotten way more disorganised than it used to be and appears to be having an identity crisis. In some ways I prefer how they used to be pre-2015; work was much more structured and enjoyable.

Advice to Management

I wish the company did some things differently. I wish training was better and I wish we could bring back the look policy and style guide.. The company has improved in many ways but also gotten worse in other ways.

2. "best job ever"

Current Employee - Model/Brand Representative

I have been working at Hollister Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

such a fun environment, fun friends to work with, managers are more like friends than bosses, only 5hr long shifts, amazing flexibilty, i look forward to going to work everyday i love it

Cons

0hr means it isnt always reliable but if you work well you will get shifts

Advice to Management

nothing, management is the best

3. "Hollister- good for students"

Former Employee - Model/Brand Representative in Greenhithe, England
    Former Employee - Model/Brand Representative in Greenhithe, England

Pros

As it was a 0-hour contract, very flexible

Cons

Management changed quite frequently, 4 hour shifts were only available and favouritism occurred

5. "Fun company but poorly paid"

Former Employee - Model/Brand Representative in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Hollister Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly management and team
    Very casual work environment
    Good discount on clothes
    Zero-hour contract means good flexibility

Cons

Bad pay
    Often only short shifts are given so they don't have to give you breaks which is a bit of a pain if you're travelling far to get to work.

6. "Good place to work, if they give you any shifts."

Current Employee - Model/Brand Representative

I have been working at Hollister Co. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great discount (50% off 10 things maybe once every 2/3 months + other offers) 20% off any other time
    -Good pay, if you are under 18 (more than min wage for 16-21)
    -Relaxed environment
    -Tasks are not too difficult, but standards are high (if the jeans are not all perfectly aligned, you're refolding the entire stack.)
    -Friendly colleague
    -Flexible (availability can be changed online for 2 weeks ahead, can open 5 hours-as much availability as you like)
    -Facebook group to swap, pick up or give away shifts

Cons

-Managers do not schedule hours fairly. They have clear favourites who ALWAYS get shifts
    -0 Hour contract (from day one you are told they cannot guarantee shifts every week.)- HOWEVER. I have gone over a MONTH not being given a shift. It is disgusting and pointless me even being employed
    -Poor training, after being there 6 months I am still not till trained
    -Cleaning. if you're on the early shift you'll have to hoover, mop, clean mirrors, remove litter. Usually given an hour to do the entire store by yourselves.
    -CALL IN SHIFTS : calling in 1-2 hours before a scheduled shift to see if you are needed. 90% of the time you are not.

Advice to Management

Please do not be biased and have clear favourites. It is unfair (especially if people NEED money for bills/payoffs etc)
    Train your staff better

7. "Great and fun atmosphere to work in"

Current Employee - Model/Brand Representative in London, England
    Current Employee - Model/Brand Representative in London, England

Pros

Employees are like a family! Will always welcome to you in and invite you to staff events. Very flexible for a part time job and if you are studying for example.

Cons

Low pay and you may not get as many hours as you want. But you can always swap or add more shifts between employees.

Advice to Management

Perhaps include more pay rises to loyal and hardworking employees.

8. "Working at Hollister"

Current Employee - Model/Brand Representative in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Model/Brand Representative in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Hollister Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hollister Co, holds an amazing working environment where there is an excellent relationship between managers and associates.

Cons

Only thing Hollister can improve on is probably work to improve call-in hours as call-ins does not allow associates to plan their day effective if they are not required to work.

Advice to Management

Management still is really good at Hollister, however, due to the high number of assistant managers there could be at times where there is a lack of communication between managers.

9. "Good as part-time work for students"

Former Employee - Model/Brand Representative in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Model/Brand Representative in Birmingham, England

Pros

The best thing about working at Hollister is the zero hour contract. This will work in your favour if you have assignments/anything last minute to do as about 80% of the time someone else will take your shift off your hands. In terms of flexibility I'd rate the company 10/10
    Another pro is that although you have to pay for uniform, the discount rate is pretty decent which makes buying clothes/gifts cheaper.
    Overall, if you're a outgoing person who enjoys customer service roles then you'll most certainly enjoy working there.

Cons

- Managers change all the time and from my experience working at 2 different stores over 2/3 years, some were great and others were awful. It really depends.
    - Another con is that the work is generally quite boring unless you're on the tills or working in the stock room. It can be hours of folding and I literally mean hours!
    - Another con (although this is true for every single retail job) is that some customers are rude and will personally vent frustration that a product is out of stock directly on you. You have to keep your cool and not let it get to you. Also, I've been sexually harassed as well as threatened by customers when working in Birmingham - that, however, is a reflection of the city itself rather than Hollister as it never happened when I worked at Sheffield.

Advice to Management

Treat all your employees equally please

10. "Rubbish"

Current Contractor - Model/Brand Representative
    Current Contractor - Model/Brand Representative

I have been working at Hollister Co. as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off everything for the first two weeks you start there, zero hour contract so no legal obligation to work loads,

Cons

on-call shifts are a joke! you barely get any regular shifts when you first work there and you get all on call ones meaning you have to phone up an hour before to see if you are needed or not! This I feel is very difficult to work around studies and things when you need to know you have allocated time to do specific pieces of work! Also if it's a journey for you to get to work you could just get ready for nothing! I hate this idea and think it basically acts as though staff have no other life!

Advice to Management

stop doing on call shifts, stop being so patronising, stop being so understaffed

11. "Hollister Brand Rep (Model)"

Current Employee - Model/Brand Representative in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Model/Brand Representative in Reading, England

I have been working at Hollister Co. part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- 0 hour contract
    - relaxed environment
    - meet many associates and friends
    - can cover associates shifts easily

Cons

- usually only get 4 hour shifts at a time

Advice to Management

- be a friend to your associates; brand reps and stock staff will work for you happily and more efficiently if you are friendly. So create a rapport with them straight away