Home Fundraising Employee Reviews about "charity"

Updated 15 Oct 2020

Home Fundraising Managing Directors Neil Hope and Dominic Will  (no image)
Neil Hope and Dominic Will
Pros
  • "Can be a fun relaxed experience with the correct team leader(in 13 reviews)

• "IF you do well, the ability to earn more as part of their aggressive bonus scheme(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "If don't get many sign ups then you get sacked quickly(in 26 reviews)

• "There is slight competitiveness in the work which is not expected when it is for charity(in 23 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "charity"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place to work as student or Full-Time"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bristol, England

I worked at Home Fundraising part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good commission structure Ideal for people comfortable with door to door, face to face sales promotes fitness as a lot of walking Friendly and helpful colleagues and managers

Cons

Outside in all weathers Moral ambiguity about selling charity for profit

2. "Goodish company"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Fundraiser

I worked at Home Fundraising part-time

Pros

If you are good at selling you have the potential to make a lot of commission. Some of the people working there are very friendly. Good for students to gain some money.

Cons

There is slight competitiveness in the work which is not expected when it is for charity. They say the work is for charity but the people working there do not give the impression it is for the charity and rather it is for themselves. Have to walk around at dodgey times in dodgey areas getting abuse hailed at you.

3. "Glorified Sales job"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Leeds, England

I worked at Home Fundraising part-time for less than a year

Pros

Was very easy to get the job

Cons

You have to hard sell door to door to get people to donate monthly to charities.

4. "Good for Quick work but really tough to stick around"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Manchester, England

I worked at Home Fundraising full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job to get Work with some incredible characters Paid Travel Bonus scheme

Cons

Ultimately a Sales Job Awful weather and horrible people at the door Paid 5 hours for a 8 hour job when factoring in how early you have to be in office and how long it takes to get home. Sign ups are part skill , part luck Teams of low performers are normally put together making it difficult to progress. Some charities are easier than others , i.e. well recognised charities like BHF or Blue cross are easier to be on.

Continue reading
  5. "If you can't find anything else"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Bristol, England

I worked at Home Fundraising full-time for less than a year

Pros

Will hire ANYONE, Made some pretty cool friends, weekly pay, if you want to learn how to lie to and manipulate people, this is the job for you

Cons

It's a numbers game, the charity lies to the company, company lies to staff, staff lie to people on the door, no job security, you could go at any time, don't recommend working here unless it's impossible to find anything else

6. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Nottingham, England

I worked at Home Fundraising part-time

Pros

Paid on time Get in touch with many people

Cons

Sales not charity People are not friendly to knock on their door at 9 Devote 9 hours and get paid only for 5 High pressure

"Don't let them sell you the job!"

Current Employee - Paid Fundraiser in London, England

I have been working at Home Fundraising full-time for less than a year

Pros

none that I can find yet, Except the weekly pay.

Cons

They make you do two 8 hour assessment days without pay. They make you work 3 shifts without pay unless you stay longer than 30 days at the company. They make you come in for free. They only pay you for 5 hours work. Rest assured every single charity they work with will find out about them if they mess my pay around. This should be illegal. I'm just waiting. If they mess me around I will take full legal action. Note: They also do not give you a copy of your own contrat and make you tick boxes saying you received full uniform and equipment before you have, resulting in fines if you leave I guess I as they dock your pay for missing uniforms and equipment you never received,

Continue reading

"Not a good job to have at all"

Former Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in London, England

I worked at Home Fundraising full-time for less than a year

Pros

Apparently there's this Wednesday breakfast thing where you get a free Mcdonalds. I never went as you have to go into the offices and then wait around for a while until your shift starts.

Cons

You feel like a pest. No one wants to sign up to same random charity with their debit card at 8:30 at night to some random guy knocking on their door. You may actually ( as I did) object to some of the charities, practices and false sense of urgency given to people when pitching. You're not 'doing a good thing', this is a business, which simply uses charity to propagate itself. It is profit making, this is not a charity itself, it's a business charities reach out too. Naturally, basically all senior staff and employees only care about getting more people to sign up to the charity to increase their bonuses as opposed to actually caring about any charitable activities.

Continue reading

"Door to door fundraiser"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Home Fundraising part-time

Pros

Team environment can be great but depends on the team leader. You are helping a charity, however questionably. Targets are not difficult to reach (for part-time at least) once you're confident in your 'pitch'. Every now and again you meet some genuinely interesting people. Induction is good, and there were continuing development classes every Wednesday.

Cons

Travel costs were not covered from zone 6 Spend a lot of time on your feet, obviously Questionable targeting of areas, typically lower income areas. They are more likely to give to charity from my experience, bit still didn't sit right with me. Often feels more like sales than working for a charity.

10. "Awful"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Home Fundraising full-time for less than a year

Pros

None. The place was very badly run. Glass door must warn people not to go for such a job! Give people false hope if that can be seen as a pro?

Cons

Absolute con! Don’t get paid all the hours you work. Asked to arrive 2 and a half hours earlier from when you start getting paid to do training and then to travel. The 6 step training is assumptive and management were pressuring fundraisers to push and get more sign ups. The way it was done was bullying and very unethical. Representing charities?? I think not Treats fundraisers unfairly and send them to areas where they have very little chance of doing well. They most certainly take advantage of workers that are being put in vulnerable positions. Would not recommend

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 English Reviews