HomeServe UK Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4
HomeServe UK CEO Greg Reed
Greg Reed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are too many pros to list - its just generally a great place to work" (in 62 reviews)

• "Everyone is valued and you feel you can really make a difference" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons for me I love everything about homeserve" (in 26 reviews)

• "There is no work/life balance anymore" (in 11 reviews)

"Love working at HomeServe! Preston"

Current Employee - Claims in Preston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Claims in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great family atmosphere, culture, CEO who listens! Good canteen, bus route, Staff, need I say more?!

Cons

I've work at Home serve Fulwood Preston for 14 years. I have no cons. I have been fully supportive with career goals.! Management have always been amazing . Excellent work ethics.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Very happy here. Thank you!

"Callcentre"

Former Employee - Claims Handler in Fulwood, England
    Former Employee - Claims Handler in Fulwood, England

I worked at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Modern building. Good management. Career progression opportunities.

Cons

Traffic in the area at peak times (or if an accident on the M6) can be a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge 100% attendance.

3. "25 years and still changing"

Current Employee - Director in Walsall, England
    Current Employee - Director in Walsall, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HomeServe is a fantastic British global success story on the brink of the FTSE 100 (number 114 as of this writing). The company was founded by Richard Harpin as a joint venture with South Staffs water and is now a global Home Assistance company with businesses across Europe and even Japan. The biggest part of the company and the growth engine is HomeServe USA. The company is also investing heavily in the future with purchases such as Checkatrade and Habitissimo. The UK business has transformed from a selling machine 10 years ago to a very Customer focused business as evidenced by their rating on TrustPilot. Exciting new Partners like Aviva, E.ON, Octopus Energy, and Co-op Energy have been signed in the past few years. HomeServe Labs and LeakBot are amazing on their own yet alone as part of a Plc. The company in the UK now has over 1,000 engineers and recently they were all given pay increases to compensate for their productivity incentives being removed. This is so they can always take the time to do the right thing.

Cons

The core systems were not invested in for many years which has required a 5 year catch up. These systems are going live soon but the projects have been exhausting. The company is in transition in the UK to a more mature business which is challenging for some to accept.

Advice to Management

Don't stop focusing on Customers and update the Walsall HQ as it is looking tired after all these years.

4. "A great company with huge ambition to be even better."

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented and helpful colleagues focused on our customers
    An engaging leader who listens to every individual
    Huge ambition.

Cons

Undergoing a period of change, to ensure delivery matches ambition.
    Although this presents an opportunity, it can be a challenging time for people.

Advice to Management

Maintain the communication

5. "Gas man"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

Benefits, not much else, sorry

Cons

Lack over good overtime, travel, kpi's can unachievable, lack of management interaction

6. "14 years in, looking forward to another 14"

Current Employee - Department Head in Walsall, England
    Current Employee - Department Head in Walsall, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Really starting to become a much more progressive thinking business, the launch of the Diversity and Inclusion council is testament to this.
    Still putting the Customer at the heart of everything.
    The vision for the UK is clear, more recently updates on global success have been shared, it's always good to share learnings.

Cons

Some areas of the business can be slower to react, there may be reasons for this that have not been shared. This can lead to a less positive user experience. We are definitely a People focused business but sometimes it can feel like some are dragging their and this can impact the People when it shouldn't.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparent communications coming.
    Make sure the right level of challenge is coming from all areas and we are all pulling in the same direction.

7. "////"

I worked at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are very friendly

Cons

Stressful,
    Not enough staff,
    Recruitment freeze till April,
    Not all sites are cared for
    One site in particular is only mentioned once in the last year on their linkdin account and yet this site is the busiest all year round, it receives the highest call volume and yet has the lowest headcount for staff members - 5 left last month alone!!

Advice to Management

Employ more staff fast

""Even the smallest steps move you forward""

Current Employee - Team Lead/Manager in Preston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Team Lead/Manager in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing people
    Excellent senior managers
    Caring environment
    Respectful behaviours
    Career opportunities
    Apprentice opportunities

Cons

Communication in some areas
    Shift flexibility

Advice to Management

"People are definitely a company's greatest asset. It doesn't make a difference whether the product is cars, cosmetics, or insurance. A company is only as good as the people it keeps" Thank you to Vicki McGurke for making the environment and our motivation so positive in order to lead our people with the same motivation and positivity.
    It is very easy to point the finger at senior managers and directors when performance is where not where it needs to be amongst individual teams. However, it is up to us as great leaders in Homeserve to change this for the better. Homeserve have committed to the people behaviours for many years now and we are dedicated to achieving the best for our customers and colleagues.
    Homeserve have provided many leadership course which have enabled managers to become great leaders.
    Homeserve have invested in many new technology systems throughout the network to support and help front-line in making their daily duties easier.
    Vicki has been a breath of fresh air since she arrived into the business. A leader like myself who has been with Homeserve for many years has never received such positive motivational recognition which has enabled my abilities to shine further with my team and peers and within the business.

With this in mind no other company compares to the values Homeserve trains and implements to its employees. What is done with those values is then up to the leaders who lead some amazing teams that are currently working hard to achieve their best yet.
    A special thanks to Gareth Hanmer for consistently thinking about the front-line employees, an amazing director who keeps to his word.

9. "customer relations"

I worked at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

good company, good pay, good value

Cons

Management, poor working hours, not much incentive

"More More More"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Wolverhampton, England
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Wolverhampton, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the 'frontline' honest hard working people, the engineers, the safety staff, the all preston people, Banbury people too

Cons

The Directors are out to destroy everyone and everything to make money, which is what shareholders want to hear, but it means working 2 or 3 peoples jobs to make money burn you out and then, and this is the point get rid which they always do before the end of the financial year, its coming everyone knows it, like a spot on a date you know its coming but not where! We end up hiring in April cheaper people to break until the end of the year and repeat, cheap, cheap leadership, no real heart a veneer care with stuff everyone at the center.

Advice to Management

really live the values you promote rather than making it look good, so so so much male cow droppings, real people with real lives work there and you really do use and abuse them (us)
    If you don't kiss your bosses behind you wont be here long

HomeServe UK Response

7 Feb 2019 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. It’s a really great point you make about how good our Frontline is and I would wholeheartedly agree with this. And while I absolutely respect your opinion, I don’t agree... More