HomeServe UK Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 12 Jan 2020

4.2
HomeServe UK CEO Greg Reed
Greg Reed
Pros
  • "HomeServe is a great place to work - the culture really is very people focused(in 72 reviews)

• "Access to senior management is very good(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • "No Cons at present, love working here(in 31 reviews)

• "Based on the outskirts of Walsall(in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast paced, friendly, thrilling!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

Everyone is helpful. The vision of where it's going next is bang on and simple. They genuinely engage and care about its people. Expect high standards so you really do get out what you put in (and I love that)! Rewarding job and supportive manager.

Cons

None that I can think of right now. But anyone who doesn't want to engage or put in the hard work - then this is simply not for you (and - quite rightly - that's not the HomeServe way!)

Advice to Management

Be the enablers for change, engagement and communications. Overall very engaged with huge portfolios but alignment could be a little better.

HomeServe UK2019-09-06
  2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Agent

I worked at HomeServe UK part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A great company to work for

Cons

No real disadvantage of working here

HomeServe UK2020-01-12
  3. "Good"

Current Employee - Resource Planning Analyst in Preston, North West England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People shift benefit job happy environment

Cons

No real issues with anything

HomeServe UK2020-01-10

"Really honest review - Preston Claims Would be 5 stars if advice taken."

Claims Adviser in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK for more than 5 years

Pros

The company are really great to work for and the teams have a real family sense. I have worked for Homeserve for 6 years and have seen it move and change and for the last 2 years I think we have finally cracked it with a great culture. What’s great; The senior managers - They work really hard to keep everyone motivated , and work really well together with all 3 of them giving a different dynamic contributing to the centre success. One of them in particular is really approachable, - there for everyone having issues both in and out of work and is always running about focused on engagement, charity and fun which everyone really appreciates. The Family Feel - The Agents and Senior team work like a family are really here for each other - I know these people have my back and it really matters. Coaches - fantastic team, led by a fantastic leader. Engagement - not perfect but we can all see the effort and the genuine care.

Cons

Here is where it goes wrong! Shifts - I am really lucky that I have the older shift pattern, but a lot of people feel that the shifts are understood when they come in, but the reality is that they fluctuate massively and it’s too much to get a good work life balance. I think anyone coming in new, needs to have little commitment outside of work to make it sustainable. Transport - this has become a HUGE issue in the last 6 months. The bus service is terrible, I’m local and live within 5 miles of the centre but on the bus it can take over 2 hours each way to travel. Many people are leaving now due to this, as there are jobs, no where near as good as this job, based in the city and the docks, with better shifts and sometimes money but absolutely with better transport. I know of at least 10 people right now with an offer of a temporary post that they are going too because if shifts and transport. Frustration - I really believe that every agent, most team managers and all of the Senior Managers care about our customers deeply. However we have moved away from the much loved and now deeply entrenched Customer and People promises, in fact in Preston we have only 1 place on the wall where they exist - that was put up very recently. POC while allows us to pass to a dedicated place to see through we know this doesn’t really happen. The water back office teams promise upon promise to call customers back leaving them to call us, and we make further promises we know will be broken - this really hurts us in Claims when we are so deeply passionate about our customers. We have become so lean, that we are genuinely being prevented and strangled from doing our roles. KPI’s - there are just too many. There are 19 company / Claims KPIs and that’s without any personal objectives. This many KPIs means that we are far more likely to not achieve them, which is why there are so many PiPs in place, which isn’t really delivered in a way that is consistent across the company and on some teams and people can go hime feeling on edge and worried. Team Managers - This has massively improved over the last 2 years with some lovely people but terrible managers no longer in the business. There are still some of these left, all Appointed under a previous senior team, but are one of the main drivers for people being sick or leaving. We replaced a poor senior team with some brilliant ladies who the centre think the world of, but left the really poor managers in place. The other issue is that these not so great managers are not available for their people. It really feels like everyone of them spend the entire time taking manager escalations, complaining very loudly about having to speak to our customers, or backstabbing each other in full view of their teams. Thank goodness we have back a seconded Coach/Team manager who doesn’t do these things and really helps us. Resource Planning - they seem to make all decisions and Team Managers are defunct if making a decision. Unfortunately they are not fair or consistent and it’s the senior that has to make a sensible decision, who are already so busy.

Advice to Management

Rethink the shifts - they are killing the teams Maybe look at a shuttle bus for grouped shifts - would stop people leaving g Empower us - give us back some freedoms to do the right think without dread of a PIP if we spend time in ACW trying to avoid the 5th 6th 7th call from ever taking place. Reduce the KPI’s and make them SMART -ie Achievable and Realistic (and while many can, it’s at the expense of the customer) Seriously change probably all of you Team Manager they are the biggest issue in Preston, we need people dedicated to their teams who lead from the front. My. OM Vicky is brilliant, but she can’t do everything, just like Karen and Angela can’t across the 100’s Of staff, and a 24/7 period. If we had better mangers they could take managerial decisions away from a unfair admin team of the resource planners. They really do upset people. Best advise is to listen to reviews like these and show us your most valuable asset that you empathise and will take action. Live and breath the people and customer values. And then trust that we will always do the best by you and by our customers. Review written with truth and integrity.

HomeServe UK2019-12-19
  5. "Very customer centric"

Current Employee - Safety Manager in Walsall, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Real push to deliver effortless service to customers Determination to always improve Flat organisation with ready access to all leaders

Cons

Systems can be a little clunky but lots of investment being made

Advice to Management

Keep focused on delivering effortless service to customers

HomeServe UK2019-12-06
  6. "Feel part of a family"

Current Employee - Quality Checker in Walsall, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Networking - There are a lot of great people here who genuinely have time for you and your progression. I have never had an issue booking time in with Senior Managers, Heads of Departments and even the CEO, who is more than happy to put time in for those that want it. Development - Offer apprenticeship/leadership programs Exciting - Still after 20 years, we are still coming up with new ideas to take the business forward Quarterly Catch ups with seniors - can see how the business is getting on Charity work - I am proud we do so much for so many different charities Free Car Park

Cons

Canteen/food prices have gone too high recently The Walsall building (Ryder) needs a full refurbish. Being on the phone is very stressful and queues can get out of control sometimes

Advice to Management

(Operations) - Although a lot has been done to create a better work life balance, coming from a role on the phones, I still do not think its as good as it could be. Trust you staff more and don't let the minority ruin it for the majority. Try to treat us as individuals and rather a number Make management more consistent - I feel your career depends a lot on your relationship with your line manager

HomeServe UK2019-12-19

"Was great but becoming very negative FAST!!"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer in Guildford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

No one is forcing you to stay!

Cons

Spent a fortune on a new POOR system that does not optimise but engineers did not even get a pay rise despite workloads and work areas increasing!!, No trust, Very poor work life balance, Them and us culture, Poor pay structure, Poor senior management. No progression prospects.

Advice to Management

If its not broke, don't fix it. If you going to have engineers doing the same job with a £4000-£5000pa difference in wage in the same area you will always have discontent!! This is not fair and never will be.

HomeServe UK2019-12-14

"Depends on which bit you work in"

Current Employee - Operations in Nottingham, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Depending on your role there can be a lot of flexibility. Salary is reasonable for the roles and locations Good folks in some areas really trying to make it work

Cons

Double standards everywhere, managers are not held to the same accountability as agents, Huge face fits culture with people “promoted” into roles not advertised Massive issues with understaffing and a push to cut costs. This will lead to unhappy customers and a sense of wonderment as to how that happened. Change handled really badly, the new system in operations is a glaring example of this.

Advice to Management

I don’t think I have any, people who rate the company badly are told that senior management don’t know what they’re talking about, maybe open your eyes, people aren’t giving similar poor reviews around the business without there being some element of truth to it. And maybe don’t send out a request to add updates when there’s been a slew of poor reviews, it perpetuates the myth that you want to hide them!

HomeServe UK2019-12-08
  9. "Still a great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at HomeServe UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great hard working people always looking to make a difference

Cons

Limited funding now for Learning & Development

Advice to Management

Keep on course!

HomeServe UK2019-12-04
  10. "A vibrant and addictive place to work!"

Current Employee - Director of Reward and Benefits in Walsall, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing culture driven from the Executive Team, massive focus on Customer and People Ability as a senior leader to drive the agenda and get involved in all aspects of business

Cons

Not all managers are conveying our Culture, we must be relentless in ensuring we continue to be a great place to work

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on People and Customers! Cascade the vision through all levels of management to ensure a consistent message!

HomeServe UK2019-11-19