HomeServe UK Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 7 July 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are too many pros to list - its just generally a great place to work" (in 63 reviews)

• "it's a place where anyone with a mind to can make a difference" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons for me I love everything about homeserve" (in 25 reviews)

• "The low actions of the senior management are filtering down to all areas making the IT department bad" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The HomeServe Family"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

I often have said that it is only when times get tough that you truly understand the support you have around you. Well times recently got extremely tough for me to the point that I truly let myself down. Other organisations who do not have the caring Culture of HomeServe may have taken an extremely dim view of my situation but certain members of our Senior Leadership team including our CEO did the complete opposite. It was their support and desire to help me in my time of need that turned my situation round in both my work and home life. One particular message has stuck with me, which was when the CEO said “The more you need me the more I’ll give”.
    Am I surprised by this response, not at all. The Culture of this organisation is way above any I have worked in before. Two main Charters drive the company focus, our Customer Charter and our People Charter and unlike most organisations these are not just decorations on the walls but drive the way the organisation works. If you have the right ethics and morels there is no better organisation to work for.
    I don’t believe the people who helped me will ever fully understand the impression they have left and the difference they have made. This Company is a truly magnificent place to work hence the title “The HomeServe Family”.

Cons

I have no negatives to share

8 Dec 2017 – Communications

This is so great to read, I’m really glad that you received the support you needed. Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

"Fair Pay = Yes .. Fair Progression = not so sure."

Current Employee - Coach in Preston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Coach in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Homeserve is a fantastic company to work for. If I was cut in half I would have HomeServe imprinted like a stick of Blackpool Rock.

As a Coach in Preston, I feel like some managers deliver news good or bad terribly.
    Personally I think that the new fair pay system is fair, with regards to pay.

However as an established Coach my framework on progression is now gone. I can never be an expert, and will be paid less than those in expert who do not act at this level consistently. This I feel is unfair.

However I have discussed it and I know the only thing I am in control of is how I deal with how I’m feeling, and how I react to it.

But I would definitely encourage anyone to come and work at Homeserve. In Preston we have lots of facilities, like pool tables, ping pong... BBQs, Penalty Shoot Outs, Jenna, treasure Hunt, Ice lollies at your desk... all done to keep us feeling fresh, energised and happy in work.

We have really good quality training, and Coaches which will love heaven and hell to ensure you are supported.

We have forums, and champions for all sorts..

We have just had a new Ops Manager start recently in Claims, who the whole centre loves and is making a massive difference, really down to earth and following through on promises.

We have a decent Director too who is lovely is is happy to chat. And open to ideas.

We have really brilliant people who are my family and who I love as much as my own siblings and children .
    The people working here are there for you when things either in or out of work get too much and you need support.

HomeServe is more than a job or a career, it’s a second home, which is safe, including and most of all caring.

Cons

There really aren’t many.
    I feel fair pay, is about more than just pay.. it’s consequences are,
    No matter your grade, you need to have something to aim for and the next step to go to.
    Even if the pay is the same within the progression framework, the status to aim for for me is expert and I feel devastated that this has now been taken from me.

I also think Managers need to be Coaches on appropriate ways to deliver feedback and have difficult conversations.

Advice to Management

Look at what works in the business, what is your best practice, who is your best senior manager... how do they talk to People? How is it that the same messages can be delivered so differently?
    Take the skills and inspiration that the majority of staff are getting from some Managers like Vicky and see what good looks like and bring the business up to this level.

Homeserve is a brilliant business and place to work, but like people it can get even better.
    There are lots of fresh things happening, but they need to be consistently improving from the top down.

"Opportunity to progress"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunities to progress and be heard are great. The management right up to the top are approachable and friendly. I have worked for other companies where I have felt like I was just an engineer with nowhere else to go but with HomeServe I am allowed to be more, I can volunteer and be supported, Ideas I have are listened to and I feel like I am valued beyond the limits of my role. I'm not saying it is easy but at least you see something for the hard work.

Cons

Some of the processes and systems are a little clunky but they are being improved already.

Advice to Management

Continue to support people and look to your engineers and develop them into more than just the person that goes to the customer they might still want to do more than be on the tools.

16 Jul 2018 – Communications

Thanks for taking the time to post such a great review!

"3 Years in the role and I finally starting to feel valued"

Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in Preston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really good company in terms of looking after the customer. The people in Claims make life at work fun.
    I have been trying to get involved in other things and have felt ignored and unappreciated by managers often as it’s always the same people who get to do other things and get involved.

Great new ops manager, Vicky who has asked everyone, not just the usual people, about getting involved in recruitment, and when I applied, she got back to me personally and everyone else who I know applied. So now I am going to assist in open days and help with finding more people. I was even asked to help out with decorating a self-fix board, to ‘‘ Jazz it up’’ and now people are starting to notice it, and use it, and that’s because of me and I am really grateful for the opportunity.

I have also found that the training is good and a great way to start a career in customer service.

Some of the team managers are ok, but the senior managers are definitely getting better.
    I love the guys on RP who are really nice.

I love working for Homeserve, I just wish things were opened up to everyone, and that managers were as down to earth as this new ops manager, they range from very funny but a bit too silly
    And the others are a bit miserable. But are approachable.

But I have worked in other companies and this is definitely one of the better ones.

Cons

Ensuring that all opportunities are open and fair.
    Managers and senior managers try to smile more and be a bit more down to earth and stop taking yourselves so seriously.
    Would be nice to get to know senior managers,
    I know more about this new one in a few weeks than I do about some who have been here ages.

It would be good if managers at all levels actually sat with us and listened to live calls and how much chais, transferring And messing we do ,
    Not just the physical call.
    That way the feedback you give would mean something.

Maybe even take some calls... show us you can do
    The job, before criticising what we do?

Advice to Management

Smile more
    Stop lording it over us, sit down and talk to us.

Make time to be fair and give us all a chance

26 Jun 2018 – Chief Executive Officer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m glad to read you’re enjoying working in our Claims department. And it’s great to read that you’re getting involved in helping with recruitment... More

"Team Manager Preston- General Feedback"

Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Homeserve is a nice company, and focus on what is right for the customer.
    Sometimes though it looses sight of the individuals who it employs. As a team manager of four years I hold myself and my team to account and really focus on developing each person in a bespoke way.
    Unfortunately I have felt let down in the past and felt like a number.
    I didn’t realise how frustrated I have felt until a new Ops manager talked to me, and asked me about me and how I was feeling, and about issues I had and how she could help. It felt good, so changes like this are really motivating.

There are lots of ways in which Homeserve try to engage its people like games, silly dressing up and lots of fun. These things are great but what has been missing until now is the human touch to leadership, which seems to be starting and if we can lead this way it will trickle down to the front line.

Cons

I feel like Homeserve is far from broken, but can sometimes suffer bruises ( I nicked this quote off the new Ops Manager)
    And I agree there are lots of small changes that would make a huge difference.
    I think as a team of managers we need to find ways of working together and consistently as one team.

But ultimately we care about our people and our customers and with recent new additions, like Vicky, I can already see improvements.

We also need to plan and keep momentum of engagement activities during the winter, rather than doing our usual cancelling everything and all hands to the pumps!

Advice to Management

Homeserve is a company that has grown very quickly in relative terms. However it’s policies and process are designed for a small enterprise.

Now in its ever increasing population and turnover, it’s processes need to catch up and be slicker to ensure its assets ie it’s people do not fall through the cracks and become victims of the companies underlying principles not being good enough for what is becoming a large enterprise.

I would also say that the new Manager is vastly different to what we have had and is already building some of the trust Managers and advisers so desperately need.
    We need more senior managers like this, to oversee and glue the operation back together.
    Sitting down and having an honest, open and genuine chat really goes a long way.

The other managers always seem to busy, so perhaps they could have a bit of human time with teams too?

16 Jul 2018 – Communications

Thank you for taking the time to post a review - it's great to read that you're seeing improvements more recently. And we'll ensure your feedback is passed on to the new Operations Manager.... More

"Team Managers drag the place down"

Current Employee - Adviser in Preston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Adviser in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really good people, really good senior managers but terrible team managers.
    Seen lots of good changes and very recently a brilliant 4th addition to the senior team in Preston

Cons

Team managers make you feel guilty for wanting to do well and be positive. Mine is like a dementor from Harry Potter.
    So demotivating and feel like you are penalised for going against their negative attitude to work and changes.

Advice to Management

Need new managers or they need a hard kick up the whatsit to change their attitudes m.

8 Jun 2018 – Director of Quality

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and I’m glad to read you’re on board with the positive changes happening at Preston.

As part of these changes, we’re committed to continue... More

"Lots of refreshing new changes"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Preston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We work hard but we also play hard as advisors. In Preston lots of change, which is good for keeping you active.
    We have just had a new senior manager, who has actually bothered to spent time talking to staff, getting to know us and genuinely lets us know about her.
    And has already acted in feedback I gave. Things are really in the up and up.

We get to speak to other senior managers occasionally from the CEO to Directors,

Homeserve is about its people and customers and is a nice environment to work in. I fully support anyone and recommend this is a good place to work.
    If you can get on the right team, you will go far in claims!

Cons

Just try to deliver on promises and more consistency across how teams work.

Advice to Management

Have one vision and one set of delivery methods so all teams get the same development and the same level of feedback and opportunity.

16 Jul 2018 – Communications

Thanks for taking the time to post a review!

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Coach in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started my Homeserve career in November 2015 with no office background, i had detailed training over 3 weeks and then support off the coaching team for a further 4 weeks, this gave me the confidence i needed to support the customers of Homeserve comfortably.

Throughout my frst year i was given the opportunity to spend time with different parts of the business and gain more knowledge along the way and in turn was used to assist different areas when it was needed.

In November 2016 i applied to be a Customer Service Coach and was given a position on the Coaching team, since then i have developed my coaching skills and progressed from foundation Coach to Established Coach, this includes working across site at different parts of the business which keeps the job challenging but also rewarding.

I am currently enrolled on a internal course called 2020 Leadership Program, this gives me the knowledge and the skills to progress towards my next goal, this was put to me by my manager and he has supported my journey since i was enrolled, i look forwards to completing the programme and implementing what i have learnt.

Throughout my Homeserve Career i have had all the support i have needed without having to ask for it, i am grateful for the opportunities i have had within the company and i look forward to many years ahead of me with hopefully more progression.

Cons

The only thing i think we could improve on is engagement when the call volumes are high, keeping staff motivated is key in a office environment, we have made changes and we are improving, but i still think we can improve further.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, it is clear which direction we are going and keep the engagement up

16 Jul 2018 – Communications

What a great story! Thank you for posting a review and sharing, it sounds like you're having a great time at HomeServe! And enjoy the 2020 Leadership Programme!

9. "Head of Products"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Focus on the Customer & People, great culture and genuine opportunities for personal development

Cons

Not for the faint hearted, need a massive can do attitude in a fast environment

Advice to Management

Keep it going

16 Jul 2018 – Communications

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, nothing beats a 'can do' attitude!

"Team Manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Entry into customer Service
    - Development Opportunities
    - A business which relies on developing talent from within
    - Open door policy with senior leadership team
    - Feedback and suggestions for improvement are taken on board

Cons

- Fast Paced at times (seasonal)

Advice to Management

Keep the open door policy, keep taking on board feedback, no one knows better than the front line what works and what doesn't

16 Jul 2018 – Communications

That's a great review, thank you for sharing!