Honey Birdette Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extreme sales pressure from Upper Management (in 7 reviews)

• expected to wear 3 pieces of current HB which is expensive upkeep as they constantly consolidate sets (in 4 reviews)

"Working for Honey Birdette"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working alongside a driven and ambitious team. Major career growth and opportunities available for staff in all areas from retail to head office.

Cons

A lot of measurements and kpi's

2. "Work hard and reap the rewards"

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing incentives such a free products and trips aboard
    Sense of community within the business
    Will always progress team from within the ranks
    Healthy discount
    Lots of interaction with uppper management and CEO
    Female driven work environment
    Company which stands up for what it believes in and makes efforts shown in store eg. Marriage Eqaulity and breast cancer awareness
    If you can sell and are good at making VIP relations it’s a walk in the park
    Not commission based so avoids cattiness within teams
    Good rate of pay

Cons

High pressure to meet targets
    Extensive black out periods over Christmas and Valentines
    Long hours, much longer than a 9-5
    Longer hours during Christmas period
    No uniform allowance but expect you to be in at least 3 pieces of product
    Zero hour contracts for non-management

Advice to Management

Sometimes figures can not account for everything. More needs to be done by head office to support in store teams and not undercut them. Eg. Launching sales online days early then questioning why stores aren’t hitting targets when online prices are a fraction of those in store

"Best retail incentives ive seen in retail"

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

staff are highly incentivised - giftcards, trips abroad

Cons

high pressure retail environment - sales and budgets are closely reviewed on a weekly basis - everything is measures

Advice to Management

although your operation really tight - remember that sometimes the numbers dont have all the answers

"Full Time Staff"

Former Employee - Full Time Staff Member in London, England
    Former Employee - Full Time Staff Member in London, England

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture
    Amazing sense of 'team'
    Great NRM
    Close nit team of staff
    Inspiring Leaders from NRM, CEO, Area Managers and Head office staff
    Designs ahead of the trend
    Great staff discounts
    INCENTIVES oh my god the INCENTIVES better than any retail company. Overseas trips etc
    AMAZING job progression if you do your job well

Cons

Competitive sales job, but what sales job isn't
    Expected to look immaculate
    Black out periods for Annual Leave
    Short shifts for casual staff
    Big budgets
    Management does not tolerate non performance

Advice to Management

Keep making beautiful products and inspiring your team like you do

"Wheres the professionalism?"

Current Employee - Casual
    Current Employee - Casual

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40% discount (NOT including sale items)
    30% toys
    great incentives
    dressing up

Cons

Company does not know how to run a bushiness internationally, was handed forms to fill out that were supposed to be filled out for Australian ''honeys'' whilst also having to fill out a time sheet so you get paid.
    They insist on their staff to wear their lingerie INCLUDING their bras- which are still expensive with discount even if they do not go up to your size!
    Catty environment, other staff try and take over your customers so they can reach their daily target (especially if you're new)
    0 hour contract, most shifts are late shifts, ( not ideal if you dont like eating dinner late) if you're a casual they will RARELY give you long day time shifts unless needed to cover.
    They insist staff have to wear their hosiery, which is very poor quality. You are unable to get refund or an exchange on them, Yet have to buy stockings or hold ups a countless amount of times
    Have to wear red lipstick, eyeliner, polished nails and also have to wear stiletto heels hours on end

Advice to Management

Prepare the company in order to progress internationally.

"Step up and be rewarded"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Managing Director is the most passionate person I have ever worked for
    - You never feel like just a number
    - You are recognized for your individual talent and contribution
    - Seriously amazing individual incentives for retail team
    - Beautiful product and discount (Yay!)
    - If you step up to the plate, this is always recognized and rewarded.

Cons

- Once your in, Honey Birdette becomes an obsession. It's hard to switch off.
    - Long hours. Lots of work to keep you busy. If you are after a 9-5 position, this is not the place for you.
    - Fast paced environment can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Honey Birdette has been one of the most challenging placed to work, but the most rewarding as well. I wouldn't change a thing. The small business mentality ensures that no one feel like 'just a number' and creates a real sense of team.

7. "Hit And Miss"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Honey Birdette (More than a year)

Pros

Great intensives, grat bunch of girls to work with

Cons

Management/HO didn't care to much about sexual assault happening within their store, made to flirt for sales and constantly dress up (thank you for letting us now wear pants) tried to cover up bad working environments with intensives

"Not My Favourite Cult"

Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Kotara (Australia)
    Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Kotara (Australia)

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a part of this cult will turn your soul into rich, supple leather. This is excellent preparation for most corporate industries also specialising in staff mistreatment and flagrant thirst for blood.

A Pro and a Con: You will be well trained in the art of manipulation by the most sociopathic females in the business. Your moral compass will be ceremoniously obliterated along with your integrity, dignity and sense of self-worth.

Cons

If you are one of the few, like me, who were never all that interested in getting “HBHONEYS” tattooed on your forehead, then you may think you can get through this job unscathed. You’re dead wrong. Everyone gets screwed. I’ll repeat it for those in the back, EVERYONE gets screwed. If they can’t beat you into submission then they will intimidate and bully you into eventually quitting. This is if they can’t simply fire you if you’ve outlasted the probation period. This is not a challenge. Do something better with your life.

Advice to Management

To the narcissistic megalomaniacs, here’s cheers. I would love to know how little it took for you all to slam-dunk your consciences into the trash. Enjoy filling the CEO’s pockets while she uses you like puppets. Let’s hope she applies plenty of Silk Deluxe beforehand.

9. "No one should ever go through what we went through"

Former Employee - Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To be honest, this company was SO destructive on a psychological level, it has turned me off lingerie and retail after leaving the company.

Seeing positive reviews on this page is extremely concerning as I am concerned the organisation is bribing individuals to post positive reviews to distract from how ugly the reality of their management is.

The only thing I'd say is positive about this organisation is that their disgusting practices have brought together a band of powerful, strong women who have endured the same thing and constantly support one another through what we've all collectively been through.

At least management is consistent there.

Cons

Everything horrible you've heard about this company is true, if not worse.

I have already made a detailed review when I first left the company in 2017 but I am posting an update in light of further negative comments. It has been nearly a year since I left this organisation and I am still disgusted by the fact that they are still around. Their success is mere appearance and their CEO is psychologically questionable.

I have since been on anti-anxiety meds and psychological treatment, wholly due to my experiences with this organisation. I am ashamed to even have this company on my resume but anyone with direct experience knows that one who's withstood this organisation can only be extremely resilient.

Advice to Management

CLEAN HOUSE. Get rid of your CEO, get rid of your jaded managers and implement someone who actually has retail management experience and isn't there to merely leech off every poor female soul who wanders into this shop.

There is a family of people who longingly await the day we see this company crash and burn into the ground.

The CEO regularly sends around emails to disregard poor media coverage of the organisation, similar to a cult like fashion.

"UTIs, foot surgery required now, no job security but hey at least we got a discount!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- generous discount- 40%
    - everyone wants to be you ??
    -good incentives “honey money” $100 spending money if you making a customer spend over 1000

Cons

-expected to arrive an hour early, leave late unpaid overtime
    -unpaid but required meetings
    -constant pressure to meet budget-if you don’t meet past 80% every single honey can see every single week you’re “in the red”
    -hours cut if you have a bad week
    - expected to wear 3 pieces of current HB which is expensive upkeep as they constantly consolidate sets
    -cult like environment
    - expectation to wear heels, ever shift requires full face of makeup, nails done, hair always done. Even if it’s a three hour shift.
    - contracts not given to managers for the sake of manipulating them to do better “and then they’ll get their contract” but never do
    - Because they never give out contracts I have seen countless hard working managers be demoted with no notice except a new roster all for not making red for a week, even though some other stores will stay red for weeks but they’re area managers favourites making them untouchable
    - new honeys rise in management without training due to high turn over but new honeys are told it’s because of their “potential and hard work”- not because nobody else could handle the constant scrutiny and never being good enough
    - no cameras in store for your own security
    - managers and 2ic’s work ALONE in the store with exception for THREE HOURS a day where they aren’t allowed to take a break or even GO TO THE BATHROOM
    - it’s honestly common in honey culture to contract UTIs from having to hold their bladder for hours, bad skin from never having a day off to let their skin breathe, weight loss from not eating as they aren’t allowed breaks or scared to take one incase they don’t make budget, oh and foot problems from wearing heels 8 hours a day every day.
    -poor training and management due to high turn over; I worked there for three years and had a new manager every month.
    - company will pick favourites so even if you are a high earner it doesn’t really matter
    - constantly told you’re replaceable, constantly having managers in tears over budget, management treating their lowers terrible as a result of higher management pushing them
    - expected to push customers even if they feel uncomfortable
    - no life outside of work.. they have a whatsapp of every honey in QLD constantly blowing your phone up, a group chat for every individual store, as well as emails sent that you must reply to by end of day in regards to your store, every Wednesday in “hive” an app just for honeys must read a weekly news letter and percentage page and training modules which you usually have to do again and again, expected to be a part of the Facebook groups “admiration page”, “buy swap page”, as well as Instagram to stay in the loop. If you don’t, it looks like you don’t want your job.

Advice to Management

Three years I can’t even count how many women broke their back for this company just to leave in years after genuine mental break downs from the pressure. Women who love this company will leave heartbroken. Every. Time. What does that say?