HotelTonight Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
HotelTonight CEO & Co-Founder Sam Shank
Sam Shank

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing and unique work from home job that somehow immersed me in their awesome culture even though I was remote" (in 5 reviews)

• "Great team, great culture, great perks" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "I don't have any real cons, but some might say that HT has poor work-life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "If you're less self directed and do not like a fast paced environment, I would say the environment may not be the best place for you" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great culture, transparent org and a ton of ownership!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HotelTonight's culture is something unique - Ask any current or former employer and they will tell you they feel they'll never work for a company with the vibe HT has. On top of that, the level of transparency and ownership is truly amazing, from interns to country managers. So many people start their careers at HT and I can say nobody regrets to do so

Cons

Change is constant and in a small office you can feel that even more. Additionally, working with SF may mean staying slightly longer ( work life balance is still ver good) and difficults collaboration and alignment

"I am so proud to work for HotelTonight"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What can I say?
    I've learned so many things at this company. And I am not just talking about sales, account management, forecasting, building excel models etc. I am talking about Values. Transparency, respect, curiosity. We question things and we try to make them better, always with respect. I work with great people that I can call my friends, I am an active part of the decisions that the leadership team makes, and I had the opportunity to grow professionally inside HT, and even after more than 3 years, I still think I have a lot to do here!
    I truly think this is one of the best companies I could work for.

Cons

The headquarters are in SF so most departments are based there and I am sure working in our HQ would be more exciting. BUT, the good thing is that we can go there through our office exchange program!

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best parts about HotelTonight are:
    1) The people. Everyone is bright, driven, and a go-getter.
    2) Autonomy. When you join the supply team and take over a market, you OWN the growth of that market, and quickly are given full autonomy to tackle its challenges in the way you see best fit as that city's expert.
    3) Culture. We like to work hard, and will always be trying creative new tactics to push our markets forward. At the same time, we also recognize it's important to cultivate other interests outside of your job, and celebrate those.

Cons

HotelTonight isn't the place for you if you're not a hustler. The Supply Team roles are incredibly dynamic which is great, but if you're the type that wants the same structure each day and to work within the confines of that structure, it's probably not the best fit.

14 May 2018 – CEO

Thanks so much for the review! Our team is made up of some amazing people that I keep learning from every day. Thanks for all your hard work and for helping to make it a great place to work!

4. "Hard working and fun environment"

Current Employee - Market Coordinator in London, England
    Current Employee - Market Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Given the opportunity to have complete ownership of your market(s) from day 1, hence high responsibility and independence
    - Highly client facing role, which involves being the HotelTonight expert, the Industry expert and the Revenue Management expert for your market(s)
    - Many opportunities to take part in cross functional projects within the company to hone skills different to those used for the day to day job
    - Work hard, play hard environment
    - Amazing people
    - Many perks such as health insurance, gym membership discount, all day everyday snacks, catered lunch on some days of the week, monthly events.

Cons

- One has to be prepared to adapt to change, as the environment is ever changing due to its fast paced nature. This can involve additional work at the very last minute in order to comply with the changes, but on the positive side, this is what makes it as interesting and fun as it is.

14 May 2018 – CEO

It makes me so happy to hear that you're loving your role on the Supply team. The ownership that Market Coordinators have over their market(s) is very special and unique, and I'm really proud of the... More

5. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Market Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Market Manager in London, England

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are so many amazing people in the office! There is a great environment that fosters creativity and development and a unique company culture. It is super fun to work here and there is incredible transparency from the leadership team.

Cons

Headquarters is located in SF so there is some time difference involved in meetings etc.

14 May 2018 – CEO

Thanks so much for the review! Transparency is key to building as quickly as we do, and some of our best ideas come from the team so, as always, send any suggestions my way. Thanks for being a part... More

6. "Business Development Intern"

Current Employee - Intern Business Development in London, England
    Current Employee - Intern Business Development in London, England

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

awesome team, office and great opportunities

Cons

long internship period before potential job

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at HotelTonight (More than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture
    - Open environment
    - Great people that I enjoy working with, but also spending time with outside of the office
    - Supports learning and development

Cons

- Time difference between the different offices sometimes means longer working hours

"Plan less, fire more"

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time

Pros

Great people, vibrant startup environment, fun perks and a lot of autonomy in junior positions.

Cons

The perks, however are not enough to compensate for poor leadership vision and abysmal HR practices. The company had been focused on expanding internationally with marginal investment with all growth expected from supply teams punching above their weight. They set very aggressive hiring goals only to then go and fire 1/5 of their staff when they realised constant growth wasn't sustainable. Sure there is no perfect way to restructure your team, but firing people who have been in the company for more than half of its existence overnight is very poor effort.

Advice to Management

More sober strategic planning, rather than frantic expansion and hasty dismissals.

23 Nov 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. Making the decision to reduce our staff was not easy, but it was necessary for the company in the long term. At a startup especially, it’s critical that we have the right... More

"Amazing company to work for"

Pros

Startup environment, full of ambitious and helpful people.
    Working in a super diverse and international environment, with people from several different backgrounds that only contribute to your constant learning and self-improvement.

Cons

Sometimes you work more time than you were expecting, but this is what happens when you love what you are doing.

10. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at HotelTonight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at HotelTonight for a while now, and I can say it has been an amazing experience! Everyone at the company is very transparent and collaborative no matter what your role is. Additionally, the culture here is unlike any company I have ever worked for and your coworkers/managers truly care about your success.

Cons

It can be a fast paced environment and a quick onboarding process for new hires, but you learn as you go and it gets easier.