House of Fraser Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

Nigel Oddy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • For staff discount you have to apply for credit card and only get it by using one (in 31 reviews)

• Management can sometimes be out of touch with what is needed on the shop floor (in 16 reviews)

1. "Fantastic people"

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are really friendly and really make the workplace. Lots of opportunities for training and you're given a lot of responsibility. There are also lots of opportunities to work across different categories.

Cons

Salaries are slightly lower than competitors and benefits are not very strong. Experience can also vary quite a lot between categories that you work on.

Advice to Management

Trust in your team more and their abilities. Provide more benefits and incentives. Have a more open door policy to junior members.

2. "Sales Assisstant"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in London, England

I have been working at House of Fraser part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good job for students as can work shifts around studies, over time available when needed. Staff are great to work with.

Cons

Can be repetitive/ boring during quiet periods.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage staff via incentives etc.

"A rather shocking experience"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England

I worked at House of Fraser (More than a year)

Pros

- The actual staff sales advisors and concession workers are a really friendly community always happy to help one another. Made lots of good friends.

Cons

- Can't take a water bottle on the shop floor even with tonsilitis. The closest water cooler was 5 floors away, must be some sort of human right abuse.
    - Whilst working for a concession if you're the only person on your mat, floor managers would try to stop you leaving the shop floor for water, toilet or even to get replenish stock.
    - Very stressful work environment, customers often very rude due to poor support from floor managers. E.G if you need to authorise a refund it often takes 20/30 minutes for a manager to appear to do this, by which point the customers are cross.
    - When doing a hand over with a colleague a floor manager stormed over and said we could not stand together or speak to one another which prevents having a productive work environment.
    - Told multiple times I'd be banned from the store for minor issues such as not telling other colleagues who don't work for the same brand to stop talking around me. Even though I have no authority.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring power hungry floor managers. Actually, employ HOF staff instead of relying on concession staff to do all there work.

5. "Head Officer"

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company benefits, great working environment.

Cons

Salary's are lower than other companies for similar roles.

6. "Good"

I worked at House of Fraser part-time

Pros

good breaks, good pay, good enviroment

Cons

management, bad hours at brand event sand christmas

7. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England

I worked at House of Fraser (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my two years + at HOF, whilst in my later years we had a floor manager who wasn't the nicest, she was soon replaced and it went back to being a fun working environment. We always had a laugh, hard work was appreciated, you get certain discounts for uniform and there was room for training etc. I trained as a first aider and thus felt even more like I was contributing to the team. The managers were always flexible with rotas (I was at uni at the time) and deputy floor managers were helpful!

Cons

My only con was one of the floor managers who was the least people friendly person I have ever met - she was soon replaced (although just went to a different floor), and the other 2 managers I had there were great. There was also a mix-up with holidays which wasn't alerted to me by HR, so ended up having a hefty amount taken out of my last wage.

Advice to Management

Keep appreciating your staff, keep an eye on concession managers as they were sometimes extremely clicky and got away with stuff, but all in all just keep doing a great job! I was really sad to leave.

8. "Sales advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some lovely supportive members of staff
    Management very accommodating for holidays/days off
    Plenty of hours available, learn lots of different brand knowledge to take to other jobs.

Cons

Not a very good/ non-existent bullying policy
    Favouritism within the teams
    Lots of people given responsibility and prioritised over others who have been there just as long

Advice to Management

Be less biased

9. "Sales Assistant"

Pros

Work for a department store so you learn a lot about store, even if you are only working on one floor.
    You learn things very fast

Cons

There's never enough staff, the turnover is massive
    This then means there are barely any changing rooms open, because there are no staff so customers complain and leave
    Also you get stuck on the tills constantly because there's no staff and then this means there's long queues.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff and have set members of staff that do fitting rooms
    Ensure security are by the doors, as there are so many thefts as members of staff are too busy on tills.

10. "Poor , management do not listen and drive great employees away"

Former Employee - Online Team Member in London, England
    Former Employee - Online Team Member in London, England

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to an archaic business who are trying (but failing) to keep up with the times, many businesses still like this so good to get this exposure.

Cons

Had serious issues with a senior manager for a long period, raised this internally and was ignored despite people not wanting to come into work due to rollercoaster and bullying behaviour. Massive blame culture, limited career opportunities, but some people accelerate through ranks with no clear indication as to why.

Advice to Management

Listen to the team. Stop being a boys club. Majority of staff are female but not represented at the board level.

11. ""Carry On Retailing....""

I have been working at House of Fraser full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly good Holiday allowance in comparison to some companies, store teams are friendly. Made a lot of friends there personally.But that's about it.

Cons

Low Salaries, No progression. Little reward. Always expected to go above and beyond your job title or contractual hours, Negative Vibe throughout, constantly double handling tasks, Communication is diabolical, ridiculous management turnover, work / life balance not great. Some vile managerS, regionals and senior team.
    Truly a company on its knees.
    It really is like a carry on film....desperately trying to get out at the moment before I go insane!....or bankrupt due to the poor salary. And btw, they have announced there will be no pay reviews for at least another year not that there has been one for a few anyway.

Advice to Management

Where in the hell would you start.