House of Fraser Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nigel Oddy

Pros
  • 20% Staff Discount (with Staff Recognition Card) (in 15 reviews)

• Overall working environment was ok - some really great people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to open a credit card for staff discount (in 26 reviews)

• You have to have a Staff Recognition Card to get a Staff Discount, this is Credit (in 13 reviews)

1. "beauty adviser"

Current Employee - Beauty Adviser in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Beauty Adviser in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at House of Fraser part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- lovely staff and very helpful employees
    - staff discount
    - till training

Cons

- can be very quiet at times

2. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Camberley, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Camberley, England

Pros

Good training provided
    Friendly working enviroment

Cons

I didn't experience any cons

3. "Great company, poor people"

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in London, England

I worked at House of Fraser full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Head office is in a great location
    - Level of responsibility is good
    - Lots of social events
    - CCO and senior management are willing to make changes and communicate better
    - Since new CCO came in, lots of encouragement to progress within the company

Cons

- Poor communication on both the bigger scale (company wide) and smaller scale (team)
    - Development opportunities were not great, there were frameworks created to help employees progress but it appeared to be more of a barrier
    - Playground behaviour. We all understand every workplace has 'work politics' but there was excessive amounts of gossiping and bad-mouthing about other colleagues (including myself) which led me to eventually leave as it created a horrible environment to work in
    - A lot of favouritism which follows on from my point above. Doesn't matter how hard you work, you will not progress if management are putting favouritism above professionalism

Advice to Management

Create disciplinary procedures and processes for bullying, gossiping and racism, it doesn't look like enough is being done or anyone cares about it. It really does impact an employee in various ways which is why a lot of people end up leaving. That's probably why the staff turnover rate is so high, nobody wants to spend 37 hours a week in an uncomfortable office environment.

"Sales advisor/skills coach"

Former Employee - Skills Coach/Mastercard Expert in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Skills Coach/Mastercard Expert in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at House of Fraser (More than a year)

Pros

-opportunity to take on extra responsibility quite early on if you prove yourself.
    -extensive training and opportunities to train on more specialised processes
    -movement within the company
    -pay is okay and staff discount is 20 percent

Cons

-you aren't provided with uniform so expected to buy nice smart business wear out of your own pocket.
    -pressure to sell master cards for the store which I didn't mind but some people will.

Advice to Management

You guys need to adapt your approach a little to suit more people from different walks of life as not everyone is as out going as you would like. However, keep up the good training and I like that you guys let people progress on merit most of the time rather than who is best friends with managers

6. "Retail Assisant"

Former Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment and atmoshpere.
    All staff willing to help.

Cons

Store discount was very minimal.
    Worked during the summer holidays, throughout those months the air conditioning unit was not working, so working during the hot reason was unbearable.

7. "Average Retail Position."

Former Employee - Sales Adviser in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Adviser in Birmingham, England

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Above minimum wage salary, lots of hours, and staff discount - earned after 6 weeks work, applies to all house brands and some concessions.

Cons

High workload in clearance section, extremely uneven workload distribution between those in this section and all others - often left to pick up extra jobs.

"Need's a Refresh Button"

Former Employee - Designer in London, England
    Former Employee - Designer in London, England

Pros

Very good people working within buying, design and merchandising
    Passionate work force
    Central London
    Good travel

Cons

Very little career growth - company saves money through employing fewer people and not promoting when promotion has been earned. People have to literally beg for promotions.
    Low salaries and long periods without increase
    People in management who have less passion and expertise than those below them
    Terrible HR department
    Bad redundancy practice - good people losing jobs via favouritism selection.
    No significant rewards for achievements
    Lots of blame culture - management NEVER accept responsibility
    No cohesion between departments
    Elitist attitude from the top
    The business has a lack of creative thinking

Advice to Management

Train to be better. Realise how hard and passionate the work force is. Top positions should be more involved with the working floor

9. "A good "Floor Manager" can make your job"

Former Employee - Retired in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Retired in Manchester, England

I worked at House of Fraser full-time

Pros

If you are on commission, then you can earn a decent salary. A good floor manager is essential (though in my 7, we must have gone through 6). Some pride (though now less than previous generation), in the brand and company heritage.

Cons

Might end up with a rubbish floor manager, who just wants to please "top Brass", but doesn't support staff or fresh ideas. Can be long hours - sometimes hard to make social plans. Now, too many concessions - lost its true identity - a bit "faceless" these days. Many departments now disappeared. Hard and very lengthy progress to advance career wise. Company tends to "take on" university graduates who rarely stay very long.

Advice to Management

Put your pride to one side and occasionally listen to staff, they are at the sharp end and often have fresh ideas. Be constantly aware that staff need to feel valued. In return, they will constantly deliver 100%.

10. "Bad but could have been worse"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England

I worked at House of Fraser part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours for a part time uni student, easy enough work, sales associates were good to work with. A voice of the team meeting where associates were able to voice their opinions on the running of their floor.

Cons

Floor manager was terrible, manager below her would bring her outside issues into work and take it out on us. Being sick was terrible, if your sick 4 times in 4 months you get disciplinary action! Even with sick notes that detail diagnosed illnesses. Managers would never listen to what associates would say, holiday management was terrible. There is no flexibility to the job whatsoever, I was given 5 late shifts in a row. The actual shift pattern was ridiculous, you work a late shift and finish at 9:15, but there have been times that I have been there until 9:40pm unpaid because of management errors. Silly little things like using the lifts were an issue that could resort to disciplinary. Honestly, the frankly low pay was not worth the terrible work environment. Other sales associates who had done one or two things wrong were permanently shafted by managers. There were several cases of favouritism - white workers were given the flexibility that was not granted to other workers. I would get paid wrong every month, and when i'd ask my manager she'd tell me to go to HR, I'd go to HR which would say to consult my pay slip for how many hours i got paid and ask my manager. Funny thing is, my pay slip doesn't detail how many hours I got paid for so I would just be stuck in this circle of going back and forth from HR to my manager! Ridiculous. It was honestly a very difficult place to work, which is shameful given how established the company is.

Advice to Management

Listen to what sales associates are saying about your work. Do NOT pick favourites and even if you do, at least be more discreet. Be more organised with holidays and the traffic light system for attendance and punctuality needs to be removed.

11. "They sell cards not stock"

Former Employee - Deputy Sales Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Deputy Sales Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at House of Fraser (More than a year)

Pros

Healthy Discount, reasonable trading hours, busy, good induction, good team relationships (not management) and very sociable workplace, iconic building, great location.

Cons

Senior management more concerned about signing customers up for reward cards rather than selling stock. Bullied heavily by senior management. People on a lower grade getting paid more. People at the same level but on a lower turnover floor getting paid 4K more.

Advice to Management

Get out the office. Don't expect staff to do things you wouldn't do yourself, selling stock makes money, not reward cards.