Hyundai Auto Canada Reviews

Updated 14 Jul 2020

4.1
Hyundai Auto Canada President/CEO Don Romano (no image)
Don Romano
  1. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Markham, ON

I have been working at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time

Pros

Good vision of the business and backed-up by good management. People oriented company, strong consideration of personal opinions and work/life balance Lots of flexibility

Cons

All good things have a cost and it requires involvement from employees to get to that level of excellence. This is not a complaint but more an observation, as not everyone would be on the same page.

2. "Great Place"

I worked at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent Team Forward progressing Company Caring Management

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. They are doing excellent

3. "National Sales"

Current Employee - Incentives in Markham, ON

I have been working at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work. Great benefits, very inclusive environment for every employee. Location is very convenient as well. Surrounded by brand coffeeshops/authentic restaurants and gyms.

Cons

Company is growing at a fast pace, no distinct cons. Sometimes, the salary structure is unclear but not weak.

4. "Progressive, Engaging, and Refreshing workplace"

Current Employee - Manager in Richmond Hill, ON

I have been working at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having worked in the automotive industry for more than a decade, I can honestly say that the culture at HAC is absolutely refreshing. The Human Resources department is highly active, creating initiatives that result in ongoing associate engagement while ensuring proper career growth and guidance. For example, the HAC Core Value week was celebrated with both fun and learning elements to help reinforce the organization’s mission and vision. Executive members are honest, collaborative, and connected with their respective departments, fostering a culture of exchange, respect, and professionalism. An example of this is observing the CEO request and action ideas from associates at all levels - ideas to help improve the well-being of the company. This ultimately translates into a collective desire from many individuals to cooperate and look out for each other, parking egos and self-interests at the door to continue to better the workplace. It has been a great ride so far, and I look forward to a continued future at HAC.

Cons

Minimal taxable benefit subsidies on company vehicles (this aspect is not competitive with other OEMs).

5. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Markham, ON

I have been working at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I joined the company in October 2011 and have watched our corporate culture transform over the past almost 8 years. Hyundai Auto Canada is now one of the most modern and progressive automotive OEMs in Canada. We have flex hours, summer hours, department team building days, core values appreciation week, a very strong benefits package, plenty of training opportunities, RESP matching, and the list goes on. Plus, the company does a great job celebrating every achievement, and our HR department goes above and beyond to create engagement every chance they get. All of this contributes to a very positive work environment that drives motivation, employee satisfaction, and of course high performance.

Cons

No cons at this time.

6. "Great Place to Work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON

I have been working at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Growing company; filled with enthusiastic leaders including the President itself -Plenty of opportunities within the organization -Flex Hours -Good Employee Benefits -Active Employee Engagement

Cons

-Compensation is on a little lower side as compared to the industry average. -Workload is highly variable

"Its a great place to work, until it's not."

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are outstanding. Good place to enter the automotive OEM world.

Cons

There is a pecking order - don't fall out of line. Turnover is high due to the organization firing people at will. It would seem the rules don't apply to them and loyal employees aren't important. They talk about transparency but are far from it. They celebrate years of employment but fire too many people before they make it to a milestone.

Hyundai Auto Canada Response

March 11, 2019National Manager, Human Resources

We appreciate all feedback we receive and are disappointed to hear of your perception of Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. We highly value our long-tenured team members, 20% of whom have been with us for 10 or more years. We greatly enjoy celebrating their milestones and career journey’s at HACC and are excited to celebrate our first 35th year anniversary next year. In reviewing our turnover data we can confirm that our turnover for 2018 was below the industry average. Based on our most recent employee experience survey completed through Great Place to Work® Canada, 86% of our team members agreed with the statement: “I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.” This is well above the the average for the top 50 Best Workplaces in Canada. In addition, 88% of our team members agreed to the following statement, also above the Top 50 Workplaces average: “Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders”. We will, however, continue monitoring our teams to ensure that all areas of the business are functioning at the highest level.

8. "Great company environment"

4.0

I have been working at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time

Pros

- Great people and environment - Work-life balace; flex hours

Cons

- Less salary - Lack of structure and process

9. "Perfect Company"

I have been working at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time

Pros

culture, benefits, and most importantly, people here are very friendly and care about you. It is a great company.

Cons

If you want to participate setting out strategic decisions, then it is not a good fit for you, the head quarter is in Seoul, South Korea, and they make all the decisions.

10. "A great place to gain a foothold in the auto industry"

I worked at Hyundai Auto Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Experienced management team -Strong camraderie, even with your bosses/managers. Support staff (IT, admin etc) are great, eager to help, get things done right away -Company car, benefits, RRSP are generous -Strong "promote from within" culture -Ability to work on cool projects/high-value tasks from Day 1, even as a junior employee -HR seems to care about career development, employee morale -The whole org is filled with smart, dedicated people. Very little back-biting/politics compared to most places (at the lower/mid-levels at least)

Cons

-Salary isn't the greatest compared to the industry - but having worked at other OEMs that pay much better, I'd take the culture/fringe benefits of HACC over the extra money -With that said, they are stingy with bonuses -Commute on the 404 is not fun Understand that this is the Korean's ship and you're just the grunt, carrying out orders. They can make strategic decisions that can be frustrating, but when viewed through the lens of Korean culture/norms, it all makes sense. Your job is to "hit the numbers" (whatever that may be), without thought of long-term repercussions. This is anathema to current Western management practices, but that's how they do things in Seoul... I highly recommend you learn about their society, customers and cultural practices. If you can gently show that you have some understanding of their ways, they will see you as a trusted colleague rather than an incompetent Westerner.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews