Hyundai Motor America Reviews

3.2
Hyundai Motor America COO Jose Munoz
Jose Munoz
Pros
Cons
  • "It is hard for change or new ideas to be passed since everything must be approved by the HQ in Korea(in 9 reviews)

• "long hours and sort supply on vehicles(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Strong Company"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In times lime this, you find out how much a company cares about its employees and how financially sound it is. HMA is a great company that is very close-knit with incredibly hard working employees led by very intelligent and compassionate leaders. When other companies are laying off and furloughing its employees, HMA is hiring with a plan to get through these tough times and continue the momentum built during the last 9 months! I am happy and fortunate that I am a longtime HMA employee.

Cons

While you will be expected to care about your job and fellow employees, there are no cons that come to mind.

2. "project manager"

I worked at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is much competitive and powerful.

Cons

Company was a little bit slow to accept latest electronic control technology.

3. "Not great."

2.0
    Former Employee - Analyst in Fountain Valley, CA

I worked at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people, decent work life balance

Cons

Bureaucratic promotions, lots of micromanagement.

Continue reading
  4. "Great company, but has some cultural flaws"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Health Care Benefits Overtime pay

Cons

Cultural divides between American and Korean Staff Expectation to work overtime

5. "One of the best companies to work for"

Current Employee - Lead Manager in Bangalore

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, good pay

Cons

Frequent leadership changes, process changes

6. "Great place to work, LOW LOW pay"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Amazing coworkers - Sense of proud of where you work - Supportive HR - Feels like family

Cons

- Sometimes, depending on which dept you're in, you feel like going around in circles - Too many last minute changes in executive decisions, mainly from HMC - LOW LOW PAY... can't believe recent college grads make more money than when I was at HMA... and I had 8 yrs of experience

7. "not bad"

Current Employee - Salesman in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America part-time

Pros

it helped me get a better job after

Cons

too long to move up in the company

8. "Na"

Former Employee - Karnataka in Bangalore

I worked at Hyundai Motor America full-time

Pros

Work life balance and good package

Cons

Nothing as such so far

"Go Anywhere but NOT Accounting/Finance"

1.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fountain Valley, Orange, CA

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company events, some coworkers are nice

Cons

Management don't know how to manage, coworkers don't want to help, other departments don't know what to do, what more are you asking?

"Popularity Contest"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Hyundai Motor America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some new programs in place to try and raise the employee engagement scores. Airpods and $100 Visa gift cards for Christmas this year. On months we hit the sales number we get early release the Friday following the close (3 hours early). Company shut down at Christmas is nice.

Cons

The review system in place is completely unfair and based on an antiquated system developed in the 90s. Reviews are based on a "bell-curve" and HR forces everyone to fall into the average score, no matter how hard you work. Your manager may submit you for something higher, based on knowing your actual day to day work ethic and accomplishments, but HR calibrates your score based on the Executives decision. The major problem is Executives don't know the day to day of most of the employees. The only way they even know your name is if you are park of that "popular" group. You have to be lucky to get any kind of face time with the executives, and the only way you can do that is if you work for the right department. Otherwise, no matter how hard you work and how much you accomplished, you will still get a "successful" rating on your review, instead of a 4 or 5. It is very discouraging and instead promotes the behavior of nothing you do matters. This system also makes it very hard to get promoted within your own department. Most of us take on so much more than our actual job description entails, but it goes unnoticed. On top of the unfair review system, the raises don't even match cost of living. They don't have a separate merit increase and cost of living raise. There is no flexible schedule in place, no opportunity to work from home. The company lives in the past still. Other auto manufacturers and even our counterparts in Mexico and Canada have better employee reviews, culture and work form home policies! Maternity leave is a joke and only covers the bare min required by the state. The health benefits are expensive and don't cover much and the vacation time is lacking to meet the standards of other California employers who provide 3 weeks instead of 2 weeks per year.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 129 English Reviews