Iceland Foods Store Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Malcolm C. Walker
  1. "Okay, but not great"

Former Employee - Store Assistant in Southampton, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Iceland Foods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Weekly Pay and good staff relationships

Cons

Unsociable hours often finishing late or starting early Shifts are hard, with lots of manual repetitive labour Often understaffed meaning more work for current staff Underpaid

Advice to Management

Ensure there is enough staff to cover shifts.

Iceland Foods2019-06-04
  2. "Expect to work for free"

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Bristol, England

I have been working at Iceland Foods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good rates of pay, flexible shifts & weekly pay.

Cons

Stores are run on tight budgets. At the Emerson’s Green store the expectation is that staff will stay on after their shift ends, without additional pay, often for 30-45 minutes to complete work. Management have refused to let staff go when requests are made. However on the odd occasion when work was completed early pay was quickly reduced when staff leave early.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for their time, if they have to work beyond the shift pay them for their additional time!!!

Iceland Foods2019-04-18

"Reluctant to pay staff properly"

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Glenrothes, Scotland

I have been working at Iceland Foods part-time for less than a year

Pros

People in my store are down to earth and there's a decent sense of community. It's hard work but can be OK if you're not under avoidable stress of short staff/pay fears.

Cons

They are untruthful, and take advantage of your labour; expecting you to stay on and finish a job like online picking (up to an extra 2hrs) they then start spouting rubbish about their wage budget and how they should be able to pay you for staying on- but then you have to fight for getting those extra hours which can quickly add up. Unrealistic targets are root of this.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff properly if you want them to be able to work without stress of whether they'll be payed for staying later. Unrealistic targets help no one, and harm team moral more than encourage.

Iceland Foods2018-06-11

"Watchdog isn't too far wide of the mark..."

Current Employee - Store Assistant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Iceland Foods full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Staff discount and reward gateway are nice perks.

Cons

Im not sure where to start here! During my decade with the company the morale of staff has gradually deteriorated. There are too many problems to mention, but here are just a few. Wages- Stores are ridiculously understaffed. You do not have enough staff for people to run sections any more. I am supposed to run my section, keep it available, tidy during the day. In the morning I have to sort out a 300 case delivery,...

Advice to Management

My main pet hate is the staff not being paid properly. Let us clock in and out so we get paid for what we work. Im sure you must have heard this before. Paying less than the national minimum wage is illegal, and that is what you are doing. Staff don't 'choose' to work over for free. But feel they have no choice. Please communicate to store managers that unpaid work is unacceptable. Treat managers a little less like robots...

Iceland Foods2018-06-03

"Awful place to work do not recommend it to anyone"

Former Employee - Store Assistant in Manchester, England

I worked at Iceland Foods for more than a year

Pros

- the wage in the food warehouse I worked at was £8.45 no matter age so that was a pro

Cons

-rota's were often put up a day or two before they started so could never plan anything/make appointments -management were unfriendly and only bothered about themselves -everyone on 7.5 hour contract so you could be working 30 one week then 8 the next because the store isn't performing well - shifts were often changed last minute: e.g. Either cancelled your shift on the day, sent workers home, make you start an...

Advice to Management

Treat staff better with more respect maybe then they would stay. Staff are under appreciated and overworked.

Iceland Foods2018-02-27

"full of hot air and under staffed"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Iceland Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

none to be honest. each store is run on a shoestring with very little staff.

Cons

stores are run on minimal staffing levels. But the company expects high standards, availability and for you to give up all of your time to deliver the store. with no support or no extra monies. you always put in at least 20 hrs a month for free as it's expected !!

Advice to Management

stop trying to run stores without more front line staff. duty managers should be running shifts not the only person on the shop floor as the few other staff are on tills or struggling to get home deliveries packed before they defrost, MORE STAFF AND PAY FOR THE HOURS WE REALLY DO. NOT WHATS PUBLISHED ON NEXUS. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Iceland Foods2017-06-19

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England

I have been working at Iceland Foods full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Okay wages, freedom to a certain extent (e.g. finish early due to a specific reason), career progression

Cons

Too many hours worked (contracted for 37.5 but average doing about 60 + working through your breaks), poor management (at Area, Regional, Director level) with little or no freedom to make right choices in store, not enough staff, no bonuses AT ALL (not even based on KPI's), too much bureaucracy to get rid of worst performers, lack of appreciation for work done, a lot of backward thinking

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff (including AS managers and Store Managers), do not treat Senior Managers as if they were children with no clue about what they're doing, stop taking hours away from stores, review your KPI's and offer bonuses based on performance, allow managers to make the best decision for their stores

Iceland Foods2015-08-20