Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance, if you put in the effort to make it so" (in 41 reviews)

• "fast paced environment where you can learn a lot" (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is good but more telecommuting options would help" (in 58 reviews)

• "Dynamic fast paced environment is sometimes hectic" (in 37 reviews)

"A leading company in looking after its employees"

Current Employee - Sales Support Speci in Cambridge, South West England, England

I have been working at Illumina (More than a year)

Pros

Behind every long day, stressful deadline or mundane task - the mantra that what we do here is really making a difference in the world is believed and expressed from all employees - creating a very motivating atmosphere.

What also seems to be rare these days is a company that really shares its successes with all of its employees - not just a select few. The benefits the employees get are world class at illumina, and really not something to overlook if you are thinking of applying. Additionally the work life balance is incredibly flexible and generous.

Cons

Some clear signs that the company has quickly outgrown its original structure, meaning a lot of processes are lengthy workarounds. But this is changing - a company with lots of change and progression to catch up with the growth it has seen.

"Senior management has got it wrong"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Little Chesterford, England
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Little Chesterford, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Newly created Illumina Lab Services will help customers.
    Nice people that I work with.
    Immediate manager is good and cares.

Cons

Senior management is not what I thought they would be. As a woman, I feel that since the management team is mostly made of women, they would be more understanding about flexibility in working and bringing a family up but this is not so. Illumina's mission is to look nice to the world and earn lots of money as it is not a culture of care. Everyone is talking about diversity in Illumina but diversity does not = having more women in senior management. What about accepting people with different career motivations?

Advice to Management

I am thinking of giving my notice in. My advice is please don't just try to get your diversity numbers right as this is hurting other women who are not as senior. As a woman, I don't think I am paid unfairly to my male colleagues. The real issue is having women in senior management who only care about their career and expect other women to have the same motivation. Not all women have this as a main motivation and this is not why I joined Illumina. I am very well educated and am good at what I do and love the science at Illumina, not the management.

"Snr Contracts Specialist"

Former Employee - Contracts Specialist in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Contracts Specialist in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

progressive company and possible opportunities

Cons

Manager was inexperienced and only wanted to befriend employees

Advice to Management

Not to contradict itself, I was lead to believe it was a flexible environment which it wasnt'

"Privileged to work with such great minds towards a mission which will benefit the society we live in"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Little Chesterford, England
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Little Chesterford, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment with fast turnaround of project and ideas that all have tremendous impact on the company future and further down the line healthcare and the general population.
    Company really cares about employee well being (competitive maternity/paternity leave, gym membership, sick days...) and supports desired career progression.
    Exciting and passionate group of people to work with.
    Reasonable working hours and work load.

Cons

High level decisions take place in the US and it requires more work and effort to leverage your ideas and have them be accepted in the US
    Few career development courses available.

Advice to Management

provide more in person career development courses and make them somewhat mandatory so that we have time to take them during the working hours

"Dynamic and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of projects to choose from, flexibility to define your own career, excellent quality of people, very good compensation.

Cons

Relatively slower career progression as one might expect in a large company. The UK site needs to work harder to get their voices heard across the company, since most things are managed in the US. Not very strong culture in general.

Advice to Management

Management are doing an excellent job these days!

"Don't just look at the packaging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO in US is trying to make a change for the good.
    People are nice (associate director and below) - genuine, heart and soul people in R&D and G&A. Intelligent lot who make Illumina successful.
    Facilities, IT, Finance, HR and Legal are lovely to work with in Europe.
    Great mission that will change the way we look after ourselves.

Cons

Senior Management mostly looks after commercial & R&D and the higher echelons in these divisions, that is director and above
    Quite a cut throat environment.
    There are promotions but for Commercial divisions only. Other divisions ignored in the region and it's a hard slog unless you are Director plus in grade.
    Senior Management seems highly reliant on external consultancies and this tends to be a requirement when hiring.
    Global HQ do not trust R&D and G&A in the regions and unwilling to decentralise. No wonder we are losing talent.
    Diversity & Inclusion is considered to be male:female ratio only not ethnicity or any of the other 5 diversity factors. Not a meritocratic environment since you need to be part of a group that has power. Talkers get ahead of doers. About who you know and not what you have done nor what you are doing.
    Global HQ management arrive, have meetings but never stop to think about the fear factor that people may have in EMEA? Their actions impact middle management who are then blamed for inequity.
    What they think is reasonable in America is unreasonable for EMEA.
    Tendency to go down the rabbit hole on benefits but they have no ability to identify people who really make a difference or have made a difference as those people believe in the good the Illumina Mission will live with the negatives.
    A feeling of lack of content and context from senior management.

Advice to Management

To Global Management: Be genuine, fair and don't just look at the packaging.

"Life changing mission, great people and culture"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been here for 4 months but it is the best career choice I have ever made. I love the mission and the ability we all have to impact and improve human health. The Culture is ambitious, fast paced and innovative. The fast growth means that not everything is perfect but there in lies the opportunity for people to make a difference. The investments being made into facilities and the benefits on offer makes this not only a great place to work now but shows the commitment towards the long term success.

Cons

It is fast paced, with at times, a high level of ambiguity, this does not always suit everyone. The growth has also been very fast so there are something's you find are still very much decided in the US/approvals needed from HQ when they either don't need to be or we just haven't had the time to change the process.

Advice to Management

Provide greater empowerment to the regions/senior leadership teams

8. "Illumina technology revolutionised Life Science, now its changing Medicine and Society"

Current Employee - R&D in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - R&D in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provides the chance to work with revolutionary technology and great products that customers love, committed staff, great global community of R&D Scientists, strong commercial execution, highly focused strategy for a large company, great financial rewards, run by technology enthusiasts rather than accountants.

Cons

Its not for everyone - you need to be intellectually flexible, self-starting, comfortable with rapid change and ambiguity. Strong global collaboration can mean late evenings/early mornings.

9. "Brilliant place to start a clinical lab career"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast to train new staff- lots of skills developed in a short time.
    Lots of good employee benefits (little things like free coffee and fruit through to bigger things like extra annual leave each year for good performance.

Cons

Shift patterns in labs not great (9-5 working but odd days of the week). This was not made clear by recruitment team.

10. "Inclusive, exciting and never dull!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, lots of tools to do the job, strong leadership. Good team spirit and fun to work here. Always busy and challenging things to do. Love knowing we make a difference!

Cons

Strong emphasis on commercial team success being celebrated and not others. Always high workload. US-centric decision making can leave EMEA feeling a little isolated.

Advice to Management

Lots of good things happening, but it would be nice to see more consistency in hard work being rewarded.