Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.0
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pretty good flexibility in our work helps with work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• fast-paced - always something new (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is always a concern (in 51 reviews)

• Extremely fast paced environment with lot of quick changes in direction -- not for everyone (in 24 reviews)

1. "Illumina"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in London, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture
    Management genuinely interested in making the company a pleasant place to work
    Illumina's mission is basically to improve everybody's health

Cons

Long hours, because of the time difference between the different sites

29 Aug 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As you probably know, we’ve launched a lot of programs to improve the employee experience. That said, we’ll continue to find ways to provide... More

2. "Good People"

Current Employee - Senior Manager - Commercial in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great teams, leadership is OK.

Cons

Not good with promotions. Only the commercial division gets these.
    G&A, R&D are very lean. Europe and APJ & Australia don't have a seat on the HR and Finance table. Also treated as "stupid".
    Centralised decision making which is filtered down but not effectively.

Advice to Management

Don't have inequity in the regions - be fair. You will lose talent as a result and that is not good for our business. Stop Compensation & Benefits division retarding growth of talent. Our competitors are paying much better than us no matter what the Compensation division says so don't expect talent to stay.

"Politics prevails"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid vision, strong outlook, good employees to work with

Cons

Lack of leadership, very US driven,lack of meritocracy, political galore

Advice to Management

Be good to middle managers - ADs do everything with no room to move as it s about not what you do but who you know

31 Aug 2017 – HR

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We strive to ensure all of our employees across the globe feel valued for the work they do every day, but we can always do better and would be happy to... More

5. "Great vision, sometimes confused execution"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ground breaking technology output, great people, opportunities

Cons

Good at products but much less good at process, no clarity on progression and moderate focus on development only

Advice to Management

Need to sort out informatics and deliver in time with competition

6. "Very fast moving"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great and smart people, plenty of training and social activities, no micro management

Cons

Lack of training implementation and direction - it is often assumed that the employees know how to proceed themselves. The company is growing so fast that there is often miscommunication or lack of it between the teams.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work but do not forget the basics of teaching how to do things

7. "Illumina Ltd - Granta site"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fast-paced - always something new
    perfect for employees who love change
    exciting technology and applications - mission of the company is inspiring
    looking forward to full clinical engagement

Cons

working tools and process are not adequate to size of company and efficiency of work
    too many manual steps - time-consuming and prone to error
    clinical transformation seems to stall
    lack of investment for better processes

Advice to Management

give us better tools for the job
    keep good work of good communication by upper management

17 Apr 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and how we can continue to improve! We’re glad to hear that you find the fast pace and constant change exciting, and feel an inspiring... More

"Driving Change in Human Health"

Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Director in London, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Leading-edge technology
    Great values and mission

Cons

Systems and processes are still catching up with the rapid growth of the company

9. "No place better"

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in Great Chesterford, England
    Current Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in Great Chesterford, England

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting company to work for, still a leader in its field. The people I interact with on a day-to-day basis are smart, friendly, and engaging.

Cons

Some departments are rife with politics, but fortunately, I've managed to keep myself out of it. If you can find a good group of people to work with, there's really no downside.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the limits of sequencing technology -- cheaper, faster, longer. Figure out what sectors of the clinical market are being targeted in the short-term and long-term.

"Illumination"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work with smart colleagues on interesting problems. In general a good collaborative atmosphere with a lack of big egos, at least in the technical area I am familiar with.

Cons

Outside its undoubted comfort zone of producing and selling instruments and reagents the company's sense of direction is less sure footed. Confusing business unit structure means communication poor and has led to territorial behavior, not-invented-here syndrome, duplication of work etc.

Corporate information systems are terrible and waste employees' time on a grand scale.

Best hope of progressing beyond Director or so is to be parachuted in from elsewhere.

Advice to Management

The strategic direction coming from CEO level is clear enough but does not get translated into clear actions after filtering through the middle management noise layer. Clearer demarcation of responsibilities at that level would help.

"Good company, slow career development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros

The company has large global impact and its products serve a good cause: to improve human health. The base salary and benefits are good. The employees are talented and mostly humble and polite.

Cons

Most projects require communication across sites that on the two sides of the Atlantic and this can be challenging. Career development can be slow.

Advice to Management

Mostly good work so far. But with the quick expansion comes also more responsibility to keep everyone motivated and make them feel that they are useful for the company's mission.