Find jobs for Creature Technical Director

Updated 7 Mar 2018

3.8
Industrial Light & Magic President and General Manager Lynwen Brennan
Lynwen Brennan
  1. "Good people, good projects, good culture"

Former Employee - Senior Creature Technical Director in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work at ILM 1year and a half. I loved it. I was in the creature department. I come more from a rigging background but I love Zeno, the soft for doing simulation. The first 3 months were really confusing, but the community around Zeno at ILM in all the different facilities is huge and made my life easier. You have a good perspective career if you stay and if you prove you are good and willing to not have a good pay.

Cons

Average pay, they play with the fact a lot of people wants to come. Lot of overtime but it's common in the VFX

Industrial Light & Magic2018-03-08
  2. "Acknowledge who they are"

Former Employee - Creature Technical Director in Singapore

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top projects in the industry, decent pay depending on location. Fantastic people that all want to accomplish the best work around. Each location has varying benefit packages. Upper management communicates well with all levels throughout company. There is a reason so many employees have stayed with them so long. I would absolutely work for them again, likely in a different location.

Cons

As my title states, know what the company is and what you want to get out of them. More often than not you are seen to provide one thing and that's it. Acknowledge that fact and get out of them what you need and move on. If you are a lucky one to have a path then fantastic. If not, find another company and know that you worked on hopefully one of the great shows. Often gets themselves into too many shows, reduced schedules, chaotic production tracking process. Depending on your facility some in other facilities treat you like a lesser being. Like many companies decides it wants to change tech with every show. Out of date processes that need to be revised. I hear this is changing (again, hopefully for the better). No real process for people to move up in the company over a realistic amount of time. If you are someone looking to progress in your career the only real path that I could see was to leave and come back if you liked working with the company.

Industrial Light & Magic2016-11-25

"People and work is great but pay is too low."

2.0
    Current Employee - Creature Technical Director in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great projects, people are the best and helpful, proprietary software is fantastic.

Cons

Projects get pushed and tight resulting in too much overtime. Pay is lower than most companies. Company seems to prefer working model of mostly contract employees. Little training for contractors leaving the burden of question answering to other people.

Industrial Light & Magic2014-07-10
  4. "Top notch projects. Professional work environments"

Former Contractor - Creature Technical Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic for more than a year

Pros

You will always usually get the top films and projects to work on. Depending on the department, you can get your hands wet using many different software packages. Pay and benefits are decent. Paid overtime and good health care.

Cons

It can be hard to move up, ILM is more ideal if you are senior or intermediate level. You can get easily stuck doing one thing over and over again. Cost of living in San Francisco and Bay Area.

Industrial Light & Magic2013-02-20

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 4 reviews