Institute of World Politics Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Institute of World Politics Reviews

Updated Nov 19, 2018

4.0
Institute of World Politics Founder and  President John Lenczowski (no image)
John Lenczowski
  1. "IWP Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Institute of World Politics for less than a year

Pros

Passionate Scholars and old building make for a unique internship experience. Allowed to take grad courses for free that can be applied for credit if you choose to attend IWP for grad school.

Cons

IWP is very conservative and hires people who are definitely like-minded. I somehow missed this when I applied, but was able to adjust once I understood the atmosphere. Sometimes the internship requirements lacked clarity.

Institute of World Politics2018-11-19
  2. "Great place to intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Institute of World Politics

Pros

Great office environment Lots of interesting events and research opportunities

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

Institute of World Politics2018-03-21
  3. "Start-up culture"

I have been working at Institute of World Politics full-time

Pros

-Proactive people can accomplish many things at IWP -Flexible work schedule -Can learn a great deal about politics from tangential exposure to interesting academics and individuals

Cons

-Technology is outdated -Stovepiped departments mean that there is little camaraderie across the organization as a whole.

Advice to Management

Focus on the sweet spot that IWP is in: a practitioner-centric statecraft "dark arts" curriculum. Try to attract a larger swath of competitive students.

Institute of World Politics2017-05-03
  4. "Good organization but internship could be better"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Institute of World Politics

Pros

The Founder is incredibly inspiring and interns can audit classes or take them for credit if they want to join IWP as graduate students.

Cons

Little interaction with other organizations. Small intern pool.

Advice to Management

More opportunity for interns to meet people from other organizations to network would be great.

Institute of World Politics2017-04-24

"Thankless"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Institute of World Politics full-time

Pros

Many of the students are genuinely nice. The *idea* of a place like IWP is wonderful. The location in DC is good (close to metro...don't try parking). Some coworkers really care and try hard to go above & beyond. If you've been hired for a middle-to-upper-level role, you will go through a honeymoon period of 6-12 months where you will be treated very respectfully and will have an opportunity to implement your... initiatives.

Cons

The right-wing ideology of people from the president down to admins is pushed at every opportunity. It's often suffocating. Pay and benefits are well below average. There is no room for advancement. Junior staffers are never promoted to higher positions (unless related to senior management). There's an attitude among middle and senior leaders of resistance to new thinking (or even old thinking...if it's not in line... with *their* approach).

Advice to Management

Give your junior staff more free reign and stop pushing your right-wing views at every turn.

Institute of World Politics2017-03-09
  6. "Client Relations"

I worked at Institute of World Politics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative Culture, Growing company, Positive overall

Cons

Repetitive work, Out of date software

Institute of World Politics2017-01-26

"Interning at IWP!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Institute of World Politics

Pros

Everyone is very nice. The internship will be as good as you want it to be, by that, I mean that if there are certain skills you want to work on you should ask ahead of time otherwise you'll just have a basic internship like everyone else. If there's any career you're interested in and you speak with a staff member about it they will definitely advice you or find someone working on the field that can give you some... career insight.

Cons

Political conversations can get awkward when you’re trying to be honest while not offending anyone’s views. Avoid it if you can. Just focus on your internship:)

Institute of World Politics2017-01-11
  8. "Great opportunities if you take advantage"

in Washington, DC

I worked at Institute of World Politics

Pros

- Great mission, programs and connections throughout the D.C. community, all throughout the international affairs and government community - Great opportunities professionally and through education (free/reduced cost courses) - Close knit community and family

Cons

- Some shifts with upper management over the years, but not unique to up and coming businesses/schools - Limited budget (also not unique) - Small spaces, but it has slowly begun expanding

Institute of World Politics2016-09-27
  9. "Great place to learn"

Former Intern - & Operations Manager's Assistant; Research Assistant in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Institute of World Politics for less than a year

Pros

-Run by extremely professional people -Opportunities to do many different types of work and research -Meet and talk with United States' government and military officials -Learn from experienced members of the intelligence community

Cons

-Not much interaction or cooperation with other interns -Older office setting -Campus buildings are dated and facilities are a bit small

Advice to Management

I actually had a great relationship with all of my bosses at IWP. I would happily return to work or study there. My strongest suggestion is to use the interns as a group more often.

Institute of World Politics2016-03-25

"Excellent Leadership and Vision"

I have been working at Institute of World Politics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment is flexible, the leadership is outstanding, and everyone has a true respect for each other and the mission of the Institute.

Cons

Budgets, but that goes with the territory.

Institute of World Politics2015-07-13