International Committee of the Red Cross Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 127 reviews

3.5
International Committee of the Red Cross CEO Peter Maurer
Peter Maurer
Pros
  • "Active involvement in Positive humanitarian activities that improve lives(in 17 reviews)

• "Want to go more higher in another working environment to aquire more knowledge and skills(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "The risks and dangers are real and everyone thinking about working for the ICRC in the field needs to be aware of that(in 12 reviews)

• "Souvent une impression de "service militaire" pendant les missions(in 6 reviews)

"..."

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Helping others in crisis, excitement, adventure, travel, colleagues, good career progression, good salary/benefits, good training

Cons

Not good for the work/life balance obviously. And work can be frustrating at times. Difficult to get interesting postings if you're female and not Arabic-speaking

International Committee of the Red Cross2013-01-29

"HR Assistant"

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time

Pros

The passion to serve humanity

Cons

Work structure is best for those about to retire from active practice

International Committee of the Red Cross2019-03-09

"It's good but losing its brilliance"

Pros

Usually it's meaningful work and I met some of the most inspiring people I will ever know.

Cons

The organisation is in my view losing focus and diversifying into so many areas that it risks losing expertise. Can be awful if you are posted in a bad mission.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on mandate, and expertise that comes with it, or you risk losing more talent. Listen to the field.

International Committee of the Red Cross2018-11-30

"Life-changing - yet can be frustrating..."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My years in the field were life changing; I loved working so closely with detainees and families, as well as dealing with different militaries, police and state authorities. Moreover, there are simply some astounding people working in this organisation. The salaries are also excellent. Work/life balance depends on whether you are in the field or not (I am currently not)

Cons

Shoddy management, lack of career progression for specialists and local staff. HR at the HQ seems to increasingly chaotic as services are being outsourced and decentralised.

Advice to Management

Everything has been said already, so there is little point in doing so here.

International Committee of the Red Cross2017-03-05

"Water and Habitation Engineer"

I have been working at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time

Pros

Job security, opportunities for travel, opportunities for promotion, Good salary, on the job training, holiday pay, sick pay...

Cons

stressful, heavy workload, difficult and dangerous work environment

International Committee of the Red Cross2016-04-18

"Colleagues committed to humanitarian work x committed to climb up the carrer ladder"

Former Employee - Protection Delegue in London, England

I worked at International Committee of the Red Cross for more than 3 years

Pros

I met a lot of wonderful colleagues deeply committed to the humanitarian work, especially so called experts.

Cons

I met a lot of people in management who were committed to climb up the career lader rather then to any humanitarian principles. These people were very effective in getting others out of their way up. I have seen quite a few friends leaving the organization for another one. The management is not able to keep good ones. Salary i very high but it is not all after all.

International Committee of the Red Cross2016-03-20
    • "The field positions are much more interesting salary/benefits and compensations wise."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Geneva
      No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Being in a nice small town, close to home and in Europe after many assignments in far and remote places.

Cons

Obligation to pay taxes, low salaries compared to the UN, non existent compensations, little holidays...

International Committee of the Red Cross2019-05-25

"Great place to work, but difficult to grow within the organization"

Current Employee - Associate in Geneva

I have been working at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great colleagues, inspiring work, feeling of accomplishment

Cons

Very difficult to grow within the organization, oftentimes unclear perspectives of your future

International Committee of the Red Cross2019-04-29
    • "Interesting work, opaque and arbitrary human resources management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Geneva

I have been working at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fascinating work with remarkably dedicated colleagues.

Cons

HR management is extremely frustrating. Salaries are blatantly unequitable, despite an organisational commitment to transparency and equity.

International Committee of the Red Cross2019-05-09
    • "Good place to gather experience and reputation, bad HR management"

Current Employee - Digital in Buenos Aires

I have been working at International Committee of the Red Cross full-time

Pros

Good team spirit (not all units), prestige, opportunities to grow.

Cons

Very bureaucratic, reluctance to allow more flexibility on work schedule. Takes advantage of inflation to lower salaries (changed salary scales on existing contract using inflation as a tool).

Advice to Management

Cutting off salaries makes people miserable and willing to leave. Modernization should take less time, especially to allow flexibility to employers to manages work-life balance.

International Committee of the Red Cross2019-05-03